Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
I was texting with a friend who is a nurse-anesthetist. She tells me that she has one N95 mask she’s had to use for two weeks now. Please keep your a$$ at home as much as possible to protect those like her on the front lines.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great Post
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Couldn't have said it better myself. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    If only people would listen we would be in a better place these days. Great advice.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Yes sir. I've been tackling all kinds of little jobs that I've put of forever here at the house. I have no excuse not to do them now. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516

“The masks are being made by the millions,” Trump said on March 14. “Millions and millions. We have plenty now, but we're ordering for the millions. We're ordering worst-case scenario.”

But a few days later, Trump had to call on the military to rush out protective supplies, as hospitals said they had to start reusing masks, making their own and asking the public for donations.

When Trump was asked at a press briefing Thursday about the gap between his own claims and what health care providers say they are experiencing, he denied over-hyping. “I’m hearing very good things on the ground," he said.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    dmchicago said:

“The masks are being made by the millions,” Trump said on March 14. “Millions and millions. We have plenty now, but we're ordering for the millions. We're ordering worst-case scenario.”

But a few days later, Trump had to call on the military to rush out protective supplies, as hospitals said they had to start reusing masks, making their own and asking the public for donations.

When Trump was asked at a press briefing Thursday about the gap between his own claims and what health care providers say they are experiencing, he denied over-hyping. “I’m hearing very good things on the ground," he said.

Thank you for your insight.  I, for one, find this extremely helpful in this time of crisis.  Keep up the good work!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    My wife is a CRNA as well Mike.  Not only are they the ones doing what's described above, they are also the one's telling dip-sheet surgeons that the cases they are trying to push through are not critical and cancel the cases.  It's amazing how many surgeons across the country are doing this.  One was trying to get a c-section done on a woman who was 35 weeks pregnant because she didn't want to risk there not being any blood available in case something went wrong.  You might ask why would an OB doctor be worried about this, they wouldn't.  The patient is having their family practice doctor do it.  That's right, people still use family practice doctor's for major surgeries.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    We have been driving around just to get the kids out of the house. It’s crazy how many people are still out and about.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    IU Health Bloomington Hospital has setup a "Triage Center Tent" in their parking lot. Never thought I'd ever see something like this in my lifetime.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• CTMike
    edited March 2020
    @ColtsFan,

Things are the same at Brigham & Women's in Boston. My daughter-in-law is currently 33 weeks and scheduled for a C-section a week from Tuesday due to potential life threatening complications.

No visitors are allowed at the hospital with the exception of maternity, NICU, end-of-life, and one relative of underage patients.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • saluki2007
    CTMike said:
    @ColtsFan,

Things are the same at Brigham & Women's in Boston. My daughter-in-law is currently 33 weeks and scheduled for a C-section a week from Tuesday due to potential life threatening complications.

No visitors are allowed at the hospital with the exception of maternity, NICU, end-of-life, and one relative of underage patients.

At the NYC hospitals they are not even allowing the significant other into the hospitals for births.  It's pretty nuts.

https://abc7ny.com/family/new-rules-deny-birth-partners-at-some-nyc-hospitals-during-covid-19-crisis/6043262/
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited March 2020
    I too am a CRNA. All of the above  is true . Keep your a$$ at home. If not,  you are putting everyone at risk. Especially those on the front line. There is a reason why China curbed their spread even without notice, yet we had a two month notice and have now surpassed their case numbers  without any sign of slowing down.  Too many selfish people not taking this seriously . 
    It’s everywhere . I am now on day 9 of self monitoring temperature and symptoms  twice a day  after receiving  notice of working with a surgeon all day who turned up positive. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    One of Bridget's nieces is a CRNA in Seattle and has the virus.  She's doing fine, last we heard.
    I always said in my next life I want be a CRNA.  Really cool people and really cool job under normal circumstances. 

So many in healthcare are having such a tough go of it right now....

Many prayers for all and especially your daughter in law, Mike.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    SciAggie said:
    I feel both good and bad. I just remembered last night I had N95 masks in my makerspace here at school. I feel bad I just remembered. 
    I feel good because I just talked to one of my friends at our local hospital to ask if they needed them. She was like, "YES!"
    So they are now at the hospital. Maybe they will keep someone safe.
    Nice gesture. I have 6 that I had purchased last year when my wife's asthma was really bad. These have a carbon layer to filter out nuisance odors/vapors as strong perfume/aftershave/etc will set her off. I asked my friend if she wanted them and she told me they just got a box from a construction company and to hold on to them. She will let me know if she needs them.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • saluki2007
    SciAggie said:
    I feel both good and bad. I just remembered last night I had N95 masks in my makerspace here at school. I feel bad I just remembered. 
    I feel good because I just talked to one of my friends at our local hospital to ask if they needed them. She was like, "YES!"
    So they are now at the hospital. Maybe they will keep someone safe.
    Good on you.  Last week my wife stopped into the local Sherwin Williams to see if they had any by chance.  They had 6 of them on sale.  Guy at the register asked her if she was planning on doing a lot of painting.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • saluki2007
    My wife is a CRNA as well Mike.  Not only are they the ones doing what's described above, they are also the one's telling dip-sheet surgeons that the cases they are trying to push through are not critical and cancel the cases.  It's amazing how many surgeons across the country are doing this.  One was trying to get a c-section done on a woman who was 35 weeks pregnant because she didn't want to risk there not being any blood available in case something went wrong.  You might ask why would an OB doctor be worried about this, they wouldn't.  The patient is having their family practice doctor do it.  That's right, people still use family practice doctor's for major surgeries.
    As a health care worker and a surgeon, all of the above is true. I have a tremendous amount of respect for my anesthesia colleagues and our group has been doing our best to support them. But it’s unfair to characterize all surgeons as “trying to push through” cases. Our hospital does over 500 elective surgeries a month. All of the surgeons across every specialty voluntarily stopped every elective, non-critical procedure 4 days before we were mandated to by our national leadership. We have surgeons volunteering to learn critical care medicine to support patients on ventilators and to work in the ER screening people. And yes, I still have to take call. I’m still the one that gets called when you need it most. We’re not all “dip-sheets.” Some of us get up every day, put ourselves in harms way, and then potentially bring that harm home to our families and children. 

Right now we need more positivity in the world. I’d ask for some grace and patience with our health care workers. Your support goes a long way. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated supplies. Your kindness is not unnoticed. 

Stay kind. Stay calm. Wash your hands. We can beat this. 
    It sounds like you are not one of the dip-sheets. I did not try to characterize all surgeons as such. If it came off that way I apologize. But I'm sure you are aware of some that are not listening and try to keep trucking along. 

Thanks for all your hard work. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• My wife is a CRNA as well Mike.  Not only are they the ones doing what's described above, they are also the one's telling dip-sheet surgeons that the cases they are trying to push through are not critical and cancel the cases.  It's amazing how many surgeons across the country are doing this.  One was trying to get a c-section done on a woman who was 35 weeks pregnant because she didn't want to risk there not being any blood available in case something went wrong.  You might ask why would an OB doctor be worried about this, they wouldn't.  The patient is having their family practice doctor do it.  That's right, people still use family practice doctor's for major surgeries.
    As a health care worker and a surgeon, all of the above is true. I have a tremendous amount of respect for my anesthesia colleagues and our group has been doing our best to support them. But it’s unfair to characterize all surgeons as “trying to push through” cases. Our hospital does over 500 elective surgeries a month. All of the surgeons across every specialty voluntarily stopped every elective, non-critical procedure 4 days before we were mandated to by our national leadership. We have surgeons volunteering to learn critical care medicine to support patients on ventilators and to work in the ER screening people. And yes, I still have to take call. I’m still the one that gets called when you need it most. We’re not all “dip-sheets.” Some of us get up every day, put ourselves in harms way, and then potentially bring that harm home to our families and children. 

Right now we need more positivity in the world. I’d ask for some grace and patience with our health care workers. Your support goes a long way. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated supplies. Your kindness is not unnoticed. 

It sounds like you are not one of the dip-sheets. I did not try to characterize all surgeons as such. If it came off that way I apologize. But I'm sure you are aware of some that are not listening and try to keep trucking along. 

Thanks for all your hard work. 
    Thanks for the kind words. I’ll apologize too for jumping down your throat a bit. Your wife is incredibly brave. I’ll always see her and her colleagues in a different light after this passes. 

We’ll keep y’all in our thoughts and prayers. I’d do well to take my own advice and spread more positivity. So stay as strong as you can for your wife and please thank her for me. Stay safe out there.  And I hope when this is all over we can find a reason to share a beer and swap stories. All my best from my family to yours. 
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    These are difficult times.  We will get through this and be even better.  The political **** is a little much though.  This site is great until a hand full of members start that pissing match.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Great thread Mike, and thank you. We have donated all of our PPE training materials to hospitals local to our facilities.

@dmchicago. @CTMike   I concur.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    caliking said:

I’ll add a +1 to this. Many of us are making hard decisions, in different spheres of life. Out of compulsion. Out of need. Out of a sense of duty to others. 

Not a surgeon, but all non emergent cases have been cancelled here. Last week, chief of Anesthesiology called to discuss cancelling procedures, and I couldn’t cancel one in good conscience. She asked one question - would I want the procedure done if it were my child, and the answer was an immediate “yes“ for this one. The kid in question had been bouncing around from doctor to doctor, and suffering, for 3 years. I couldn’t say that it would be okay for her to suffer a few months longer. 

I may have taken a risk. Maybe not. But I don’t regret it. 
    Yeah, 2 weeks ago we started using the criteria of "Will the patient sustain any significant disability, discomfort, or worse outcome if the case is delayed 90 days?".  Based on that one of our surgical oncologists cancelled 9 of her 10 planned thyroid cases - but did the large goiter that was causing some symptoms.  Our elective surgeons cancelled about 80% of their scheduled hernia operations and only did the most symptomatic or those most at risk of incarcerating and obstructing.  Most cancer operations (except thyroid as that rarely kills people and a 90 day delay isn't a problem) continued if the patient wanted to - many did not.  However, some of the private groups (dip-sheets?) saw this as an opportunity to do even more cases and gain market share.  That must have been going on in other cities around the state because earlier this week the Texas Medical Board came out with a statement that anybody continuing to do purely elective cases would risk loss of license.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX