Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

College Kids

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
I am so tired of this generation. They think they know everything. They hate the police but are the first to call 911. They protest everything because they think that they are making a change. Mommy and Daddy paid for college. I'm 35 and I just want to **** slap every bearded hippie I see on CNN. Why does Trump keep winning? I think that the people are tired of the media and left the attacking people. It is truly amazing to be alive during this political process.
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I don't know how many generations you can remember, but this isn't new, it just gets more extreme each cycle.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    They eventually grow up and figure out what DA's they were...at least that's whT I am finding out. Hang in there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    They eventually grow up and figure out what DA's they were...at least that's whT I am finding out. Hang in there.
    Yeah...the more things change the more they stay the same.

More annoying than whiney 20-somethings are the old guys that swear "there is no Corps like the old Corps".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Concentrate on our generation (and older) instead.
    We're the ones playing the fast deteriorating game of musical chairs at your expense.
    You'll need those kids to carry the torches and pitchforks when the music finally stops and there are no chairs left (soon).
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don't know how many generations you can remember, but this isn't new, it just gets more extreme each cycle.
    No.  Less extreme.  College protests peaked during the Vietnam war and the draft.  Before that the civil rights protests against Jim Crow were way more violent (on the side of the authorities) than anything after the 60s and early 70s.   These are the generations that are the parents and grandparents of many if not most on this forum. 

College is a time to explore who you are, learn about history and politics and take a stand against what issues you feel strongly about.

....sorry, getting off subject.

DURN KIDS....GIT OFFA MAH LAWN!!!!
    Options
    Legume said:
    No.  Less extreme.  College protests peaked during the Vietnam war and the draft.  Before that the civil rights protests against Jim Crow were way more violent (on the side of the authorities) than anything after the 60s and early 70s.   These are the generations that are the parents and grandparents of many if not most on this forum. 

College is a time to explore who you are, learn about history and politics and take a stand against what issues you feel strongly about.

....sorry, getting off subject.

DURN KIDS....GIT OFFA MAH LAWN!!!!
    nobody got time for that shît!  I got a full load of physics, calm and thermodynamics!
  • Legume
    Options
    Look Cornstarch, you're right and I'm inarticulate.  We, the grumpy old men that those crazy kids are raging against and we that complain about those crazy, lazy kids, we are what are becoming more extreme.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cornstarch.  I like that. 

Options
    Friday can't come soon enough...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    MaC122 said:
     Why does Trump keep winning? 
    I'm makes one ponder doesn't it? Trump is mainly getting the vote of older, good, God fearing Christian folks like myself that remember a much better America. Some of us can remember the Glory Days as we worked and prospered then. Unlike today when almost all of your money goes to taxes to support thugs and hooligans that is leeching off of society. The really sad part is, give it another 30 years and most of us good, God fearing folks will be gone. The thugs and hooligans will be the majority. Heck, they are close to the majority now. I feel that Trump is our last shot at a return to how things use to be and should be. I truly believe that he wants to make America great again and obviously I'm not alone in this. Some of us remember much better times than we live in now. Trump hints at returning to those ways. Rather he can really do it or not, at least he is talking about making things better instead of giving more and more to hooligans. If Trump doesn't win, I think that any hope of returning to the Glory Days will be forever gone with the wind. I hope that all the good God fearing folks help stop the ruination of America by turning out in masses and vote Trump in. He is our last hope of turning back the clock and making things right again. May God bless him and guide him to victory. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Your question of why does Trump keep winning makes these words ring ever louder and clearer. 

"Governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them at will whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggzellent
    edited March 2016
    Options
    College kids are 'feeling the Bern' (most) or even voting for Trump (least) due to two factors: Simple math and the hopelessness which this exercise brings when taught at the college level.
    These college kids look at the mess we're all in 2 ways:
    Either side with the guy who will promise that both their #1 debts in life be forgiven (their tuition now and their children's later) so that they have money left over to survive what they know is coming
    ..'or'..
    ...side with the pull-out-all-the-stops guy who is appealing to older folks very simply desiring the music on the Titanic to keep playing a little longer so that nobody notices them either slipping in to the lifeboat or cursing the sea.

One candidate exposes that all the life rafts have holes in them too fast.
    The other pays off the band to keep people calm and raft tenders to look the other way when (again) 'math' suddenly becomes an issue in the boats.

They have this choice due to the fact that there are no captain candidates ushering woman and children in to the life rafts of shared self-sacrifice..nor certainly proposing that anybody go down with the ship in any manner whatsoever.

..and 'Aah' what a poorly planned virgin cruise through the ice it all was..agreed?
  • Legume
    Options
    I don't get the race connection to the Bureau of Land Management dispute, but then, I don't understand the Bundy's position either.  I don't get the white guilt thing - is that going back to the government displacing the native Americans and taking the land?
  • MaC122
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don't get the race connection to the Bureau of Land Management dispute, but then, I don't understand the Bundy's position either.  I don't get the white guilt thing - is that going back to the government displacing the native Americans and taking the land?

I appreciate your humor. In all honesty I should have never posted this thread. This is a cooking forum, not a political one. Wonder if Trump has an egg?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i only went to one protest when i was in college, we protested against a church group that was protesting against a strip club. they eventually won by getting the liquor license revoked. the strip club opened the next day and allowed 18 year olds in, place was packed day and night =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Y'all gonna wake up the buffalo!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • MaC122
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Y'all gonna wake up the buffalo!

its civil....so far
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Bernie had an Egg but his neighbor, Ted, didn't. Bernie didn't think that was right. Now, Ted has the dome and Bernie has the base. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Friday can't come soon enough. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dem·a·gogue
    ˈdeməˌɡäɡ/
    noun
    noun: demagogue; plural noun: demagogues
    a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.
    synonyms:rabble-rouser, agitator, political agitator, soapbox orator, firebrand, fomenter, provocateur
    "he was drawn into a circle of campus demagogues"

Who is Harry Ried? I'll take politics for 800 Alex. 
  • Eggzellent
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    I appreciate your humor. In all honesty I should have never posted this thread.
    I would disagree as it is extremely important that younger people are brought in to discussions (period). There is a very logical reason that 'kids' have been given this "we're just doing this for our grandchildren" crap since 1957 or the last year America payed on our debt.
    You have to remember that there are those of us out here say 20 years older than you who have witnessed this all play out. 
    Most of these old codgers (now) avoiding frank discussions involving math-related projections outlining their own grandchildren's future?..have been raising their own kids to drink the "don't worry" Kool-Aid for successive generations. 

Many of us confronted these old farts just before you were born when the first amnesty was being passed and fake 'conservatism' was all the rage.

Their reply?
    Just keep your mouths shut/play the game and you'll skate by the skin of your teeth 'as well' before this whole unsustainable fiasco implodes.

This is why some of us encourage your generation to fight back one heck of a lot harder than ours did lest history judge your generation in the same manner when the time (inevitably) arrives.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Apparently there are exceptions to this rule. @HuddleHouseCook
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    @JohnInCarolina "It’s authoritarianism". Well that's new. Seems like another college kid who got his doctorate in politics

Instead of his fancy words and well written ideas, Ill tell you why I voted for Trump. I'm tired of being attacked because of my race. I'm tired of police officers getting ambushed and killed because of the media's absolute hate for them. I'm sick of BLM and the white guilt that comes with it. Trump is saying what we are thinking and people are scared about it.  At no point is my vote because of, or influenced by, authoritarianism. I'm just tired of being pushed around.
    My doctorate is in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, which is (thankfully) very far removed from politics.

The article I posted there only talks about studies that have been done linking support for Trump to people who respond well to authoritarians.  That is not the same thing as saying that everyone who votes for him falls into this category.  I'm sure there are many people voting for Trump who simply want to Make America Great Again, TM.

Finally I'll just say that as someone who works with college kids all the time, that they're pretty cool in my view.  My interactions with them give me hope for the future.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MaC122
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Easy @JohnInCarolina. no one is questioning your education.  In fact, at no point did your education come into play. I simply disagree with the article that you posted