Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• @Acn

No shortage of good options there, and honoured to have some of our landscapes make your cut!

FWIW, Rome was a favourite trip of ours. So much to see. St-Peters is a knockout. Such a vibrant city. Merchants and their families along the Tiber in the wee hours of the morning when we were there.

Had some neighbours go to Kyoto recently. Still haven’t heard their feedback, but it seems like an amazing city, by all accounts. 

Also, props to the art major. A few art majors in this household - some of whom make a good living in their field. 
  • Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 175
    Acn said:

Taking off center photos of Peruvian chicken.  

In non-egg related things we’re starting to plan various options for a 2-3 week trip after graduation next year
    Care to share that chicken recipe? I’m salivating. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,445
    kl8ton said:

Fishing with some of my boys
    Beautiful and good times 😎
    Jacksonville FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,440
    Acn said:

In non-egg related things we’re starting to plan various options for a 2-3 week trip after graduation next year

No real recipe, sorry.  We just buy this from Wegmans and judge the amount we need by the amount of chicken we have.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,968
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

No real recipe, sorry.  We just buy this from Wegmans and judge the amount we need by the amount of chicken we have.
    Lime, chilies, and some smoke.  Sounds like a winner!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Unrelated to Beryl, I picked up two packers today ($15 off at Costco, @Canugghead, @paqman)
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,588
    A brisket limit! Hahaha!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,589
    Watching Barbecue Brawl on Foodnetwork. The first contest is sliders. Ray Lampke is competing this year.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,616
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Never seen this use for Olive Oil.

Seinfeld elisode. Kramer used butter to tan on the roof. Newman looking at him like a thanksgiving turkey 
    My wife said it smells like cooked redneck out here.  I gave her a pass because she is from Jackson, MS so she would know.
    Jackson closer to Tennessee than it is the Gulf. North Mississippi. It’s like a whole different state 
    Mississippi is just like Florida. The further North you go the deeper South you are. I worked in Northeast MS a couple of years and Jackson a couple of months. Our agency had to pay people extra to get them to work in the central office in Jackson.
    daughter had a meeting with the softball coaches in Oxford a few years back...crazy hot there and a contributing factor on the "hard pass"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,491
    Watching Barbecue Brawl on Foodnetwork. The first contest is sliders. Ray Lampke is competing this year.
    I always thought it would be cool if they threw a group of eggheads in the mix. See how they stack up
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,735
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Seinfeld elisode. Kramer used butter to tan on the roof. Newman looking at him like a thanksgiving turkey 
    My wife said it smells like cooked redneck out here.  I gave her a pass because she is from Jackson, MS so she would know.
    Jackson closer to Tennessee than it is the Gulf. North Mississippi. It’s like a whole different state 
    Mississippi is just like Florida. The further North you go the deeper South you are. I worked in Northeast MS a couple of years and Jackson a couple of months. Our agency had to pay people extra to get them to work in the central office in Jackson.
    daughter had a meeting with the softball coaches in Oxford a few years back...crazy hot there and a contributing factor on the "hard pass"
    It ain’t the heat, it’s the hudidity 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,589
    ColbyLang said:
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

It ain’t the heat, it’s the hudidity 
    I call it living in satan’s armpit. Not to mention Oxford? 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,923

Unrelated to Beryl, I picked up two packers today ($15 off at Costco, @Canugghead, @paqman)
    Was there that day but didn't look. For whatever reason the brisket selection at the two Costcos near me isn't that great, both quantity and quality wise.
    canuckland
  • ColtsFan
    Went to Kroger to grab frozen lunches for work and came back with a brisket that was marked down. It’s floppy so I’m hopeful. 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,486
    ColtsFan said:
    Went to Kroger to grab frozen lunches for work and came back with a brisket that was marked down. It’s floppy so I’m hopeful. 

As Cap would say, better lucky than good!
    Las Vegas, NV

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,233
    edited July 10
    Planning the next Yellowstone vacation ... SWMBO has got a lot of new camera equipment to try out. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Unrelated to Beryl, I picked up two packers today ($15 off at Costco, @Canugghead, @paqman)
    Was there that day but didn't look. For whatever reason the brisket selection at the two Costcos near me isn't that great, both quantity and quality wise.
    Maybe it’s time you considered a move! 😉

I should correct my earlier statement. My wife was the one who physically picked up the briskets - but I was coaching her on selection over the phone. 🙃
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,403

Unrelated to Beryl, I picked up two packers today ($15 off at Costco, @Canugghead, @paqman)

I should correct my earlier statement. My wife was the one who physically picked up the briskets - but I was coaching her on selection over the phone. 🙃
    @GrateEggspectations - I was able to enjoy the same scenario for a few years.  The whole deal collapsed when the Costco brisket quality went noticeably down hill several years ago.  SWMBO decided it was "too hard" and retired.  
    From my perspective their quality rebounded somewhat but has not recovered to where it was.  One of my major issues is the poor pre-trim they get before packaging.  Hopefully you are able to avoid that.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,440
    League 2 to sending England to the European Finals in 7 years.  That’ll do.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    @Botch nothing as quick and delicious as pickled red onions. I need to make a batch!

• Battleborn
    Trying to stay cool. 

Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,735
    Florida water in a mini igloo in a 50/50 ice water slurry. Small wash cloth. Will drop your body temp 10-15° in minutes @Battleborn
  • Battleborn
    ColbyLang said:
    Florida water in a mini igloo in a 50/50 ice water slurry. Small wash cloth. Will drop your body temp 10-15° in minutes @Battleborn
    I actually have these two things. 
    That Cool Cop device is a life saver. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    edited July 10
    Sweating my nuts off in 99* weather without power.   Thanks Hurricane Beryl.   

Power went off 0500 Monday.    Allegedly not due back until the weekend.   

Next month on the “what are you buying now” section will be a whole home generator.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap said:

@GrateEggspectations - I was able to enjoy the same scenario for a few years.  The whole deal collapsed when the Costco brisket quality went noticeably down hill several years ago.  SWMBO decided it was "too hard" and retired.  
    From my perspective their quality rebounded somewhat but has not recovered to where it was.  One of my major issues is the poor pre-trim they get before packaging.  Hopefully you are able to avoid that.  
    Teamwork at its best. 

I hear you. My last one was really fatty, and I tend to trim aggressively to begin with, so lots of weight ($) lost right there. The truth is that alternatives here tend to be really pricey, making the Costco offerings a good deal regardless. I remember being ecstatic about Costco starting to carry full briskets a few years back. I posted about it here at that time. 

As I was typing this, for interest’s sake, I pulled the brisket out of the fridge (wifey put the other in the freezer so I won’t venture there). After discount, this one came in at $59.38 CAD for 4.962kg for AAA (roughly $43.60 USD for 10.94lbs, as you well know - *nod*). Looking at it closely, this one is very tender and may be one of the leanest packers I’ve ever purchased - has even been trimmed bald or otherwise the fat paper thin in some places. This bolsters your comment about sloppy trim, but this particular specimen also works in my favour in some respects. 

Taking a page from your playbook, one of the briskets (as well pulled pork and a variety of other items) will be cooked and vac sealed for others warranting support. To be delivered with some other items (pulled pork, etc.). My wife has a cousin who had a major aneurysm last year (while driving; but in the company of a former firefighter, who is credited with saving his life). At 40 yo, he’s now non-verbal and has lost most of his physical mobility. Stark contrast to the young man I played pool and double dated with while I was then dating his cousin. His parents have become his full-time caregivers and have had to pump large sums into renovating their home just to accommodate his wheelchair. Many lives changed irreparably and in punishingly-restrictive ways. 

Not being sanctimonious, but am transcribing my thoughts as I think about the “bad day” I think I had at work. Appreciate every moment.