Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,445
    Sweating my nuts off in 99* weather without power.   Thanks Hurricane Beryl.   

Power went off 0500 Monday.    Allegedly not due back until the weekend.   

Next month on the “what are you buying now” section will be a whole home generator.   
    Damn it man, sorry for the loss and suffering 😞
    Jacksonville FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,923
    @GrateEggspectations sorry to hear about your wife's cousin. Your brisket looks good. I have better luck with Loblaws and RCSS, they carry whole packers only when it's on sale. Matter of fact, Loblaws has it on sale this week starting tomorrow, $4.99/lb.
    canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,735

Next month on the “what are you buying now” section will be a whole home generator.   
    Dammit, I’ll be in Houston for the Astros game Saturday. Y’all better right the ship before then!
  • @GrateEggspectations sorry to hear about your wife's cousin. Your brisket looks good. I have better luck with Loblaws and RCSS, they carry whole packers only when it's on sale. Matter of fact, Loblaws has it on sale this week starting tomorrow, $4.99/lb.
    Thanks. 

Is the Loblaws AA? 
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 157

My Brother-in-law got a Generac whole home generator about 8 years back when they lost all power for 10 days in January from a freezing rain storm (Ontario, Canada).  He loves it. Where I live, I get blips and wonks that bother the audio gear and the computer servers. UPS on servers and desksides, but still. Have not had more than 12 hours outage.

I'm looking at a Generac whole house battery system. Charges from grid, but the equipment runs from the batteries so no more blips and crap on the line. You can daisy chain them to get longer lasting time/capacity. Some people hook up alternate electricity and charge from that. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,403
    I have no idea the battery capacity to power a "whole home" generator and don't know your general location @zaphod but if all you have experienced is a around a 12 hour max outage then you are living right.  To stop the blips and other interruptions check out a Universal Power Supply. I one I have on the computer that is quicker than the loss of power-no blips or off/on deal power deal.
    BTW-just recently I experienced a 3 day power outage.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    @GrateEggspectations sorry to hear about your wife's cousin. Your brisket looks good. I have better luck with Loblaws and RCSS, they carry whole packers only when it's on sale. Matter of fact, Loblaws has it on sale this week starting tomorrow, $4.99/lb.
    Thanks. 

Is the Loblaws AA? 
    Yes AA. IMO Costco's AAA is over rated.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,968
    Trying to decide if real or prank.  Saw these on Facebook.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,981

Not sure how this happened, but my kid right in Houston never lost power, just a few blinks Sunday night and Monday.
    Not a felon
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 157
    lousubcap said:
    I have no idea the battery capacity to power a "whole home" generator and don't know your general location @zaphod but if all you have experienced is a around a 12 hour max outage then you are living right.  To stop the blips and other interruptions check out a Universal Power Supply. I one I have on the computer that is quicker than the loss of power-no blips or off/on deal power deal.
    BTW-just recently I experienced a 3 day power outage.  FWIW- 
    heh,  oh I have uninterruptible power supplies providing pure sine wave. the HP servers won't accept anything other than pure sine and the two NAS like'em as well.  good for about 25 minutes. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,012

Outcome ? 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lkapigian said:

Outcome ? 
    These were not mine.  I got the photos from Facebook.  He said the my were amazing and don’t knock’em till you try them. I can’t wrap my head around the flavor.

• lkapigian said:

Outcome ? 
    These were not mine.  I got the photos from Facebook.  He said the my were amazing and don’t knock’em till you try them. I can’t wrap my head around the flavor.
    I saw the same post and had almost the exact same thoughts as you did.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    ColbyLang said:

Dammit, I’ll be in Houston for the Astros game Saturday. Y’all better right the ship before then!
    You’ll be fine for that.    Minute Maid and the downtown area were, I guess, prioritized.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,012
    lkapigian said:

Outcome ? 
    I imagine it would be like bacon candy "esque" , I'll take one for the team and do one Saturday ...may have to dehydrate it first 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:

You’ll be fine for that.    Minute Maid and the downtown area were, I guess, prioritized.   
    Genuinely more concerned about locals getting priority on our rooms for evacuation. Also all of the activities the wives have lined up for the kiddos. They’re allegedly calling all the places this morning for verification 
  • TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Genuinely more concerned about locals getting priority on our rooms for evacuation. Also all of the activities the wives have lined up for the kiddos. They’re allegedly calling all the places this morning for verification 
    Understand that.  We tried 50 hotels that had power and allowed pets.   All sold out.  

Depending on what the gals/kids had planned is a potential crapshoot.   I don’t know too much other than what notifications are pushed to the phone.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,981
    Check with Joel Osteens church, I think he's big on opening the doors and helping out during and after hurricanes.
    Not a felon
  • Canugghead
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Outcome ? 
    I imagine it would be like bacon candy "esque" , I'll take one for the team and do one Saturday ...may have to dehydrate it first 
    Insert a sausage in the Twinkies, kind of like tenderloin in a baguette, bacon wrapped.
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    Legume said:
    Check with Joel Osteens church, I think he's big on opening the doors and helping out during and after hurricanes.
    Thanks and they are for sure but I’d rather eat a bullet than step foot in that place.    Can you tell I have issues with that group?    
  • ColbyLang said:

Our daughter still doesn't have power and has had zero updates as to when they will get it back.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,616
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Outcome ? 
    Insert a sausage in the Twinkies, kind of like tenderloin in a baguette, bacon wrapped.
    a hostess wellington....the brits would be proud
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Outcome ? 
    Looking forward to your feedback.

@Canugghead had a good idea with the sausage.  I would probably wrap in roasted green chili then bacon then Twinkie?  So many options, hmmm?

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:

Our daughter still doesn't have power and has had zero updates as to when they will get it back.
    Brother in law got his back on today in Clear Lake. So far everywhere they called said yes, we are open. Astros played at home last night, so Minute Maid and downtown have juice
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,304
    @ColbyLang - how is your ankle recovery coming along?  Hope you're seeing good progress.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Brother in law got his back on today in Clear Lake. So far everywhere they called said yes, we are open. Astros played at home last night, so Minute Maid and downtown have juice
    Baseball is a priority!  Bet they had back-up gens running immediately and got service restored within the hour.

Residents can wait!

• ColbyLang
    dbCooper said:
    @ColbyLang - how is your ankle recovery coming along?  Hope you're seeing good progress.
    From the aircast to the tri-lock brace to now just compression sleeves or socks. PT kicking my butt twice a week. It’s progressing! Still have muscular/tendon/ligament pain…..120 days in basically. Getting old sucks. Thanks for asking!
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,304
    @ColbyLang - From my experience and observations, PT is short term torture events for eventual long term pleasure.  Kinda like relationships.  Best wishes on continued progress.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,960
    dbCooper said:
    PT is short term torture events for eventual long term pleasure.  Kinda like relationships.
    Heh, I think you have that backwards, but you're successfully married and I'm not.   ;)  

I once lived just a stone's throw away from a family who all died of mysterious head injuries.