Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,145
    Some of you may have discerned that I have a bit of a Japanese knife fetish. Just touched up the blade on mine and on my B-I-L’s. Took a chip out of the tip of his as well. 

Tagging @JohnInCarolina to temp him into purchase. 

Haha.  I think the last time you and I discussed this, I had tried to find them here in the US and did not have much luck.  

I'm also not into these things anywhere near the way you are.  I have a set of Shun knives I've been plenty happy with.  Extending much beyond their price point is tough for me to justify.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 847
    Some of you may have discerned that I have a bit of a Japanese knife fetish. Just touched up the blade on mine and on my B-I-L’s. Took a chip out of the tip of his as well. 

Tagging @JohnInCarolina to temp him into purchase. 

What’s your sharpening setup for these?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
    @FarmingPhD - Great news.  Glad all are healthy and doing well.  Congrats to all. Enjoy the relative quiet time with that great looking sandwich.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,052
    Guess I need to drive more.  Brought the car in for the 30K-mile depot maintenance, and the clerk told me my maintenance contract (free up to 50K miles) expires the end of this year.  He recommended I get the 40K MX done, as it goes much deeper and then I'd get 90% of my money's worth of the contract.  That, and two recalls, and now they need the car thru tomorrow; took a Uber home.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    @FarmingPhD awesome!  Congrats on the additions, and kudos to your wife.  Looks like she grows good babies.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• @FarmingPhD

Congrats on the additions to the family. Sounds like everything went super smoothly!

My setup is very rudimentary - just a few water stones and a ceramic honing rod. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,145
    Just chilling at home with family and these two studs while eating my favorite breakfast sandwich.  Blessed beyond measure is an understatement, boy A was 6lb 10oz and B was 6lb 6oz.  My wife is nothing short of awesome and recovering well.  Went 37 weeks which is considered full term for twins and both boys were released from the NICU in the required minimum 2hrs.

Awesome!  Congrats!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,632
    Just chilling at home with family and these two studs while eating my favorite breakfast sandwich.  Blessed beyond measure is an understatement, boy A was 6lb 10oz and B was 6lb 6oz.  My wife is nothing short of awesome and recovering well.  Went 37 weeks which is considered full term for twins and both boys were released from the NICU in the required minimum 2hrs.

Which one took the bite out of that sandwich? You'll need an XXXL Egg to feed that pair when they turn 14 and you won't mind a bit. Congratulations!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    Congratulations @FarmingPhD. May your family be happy and healthy 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,758
     Congrats!!!  One for the mower and one for the weed eater. You did it right! 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    Congrats! @FarmingPhD I'm happy for you and your family!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,765
    Congrats @FarmingPhD! Glad everyone happy and healthy. Good luck!
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950

It's been a long week spent looking at AI images, but we’ve made it & well done to you all. We’re in the PL's final trimester and the title race is very much alive while the relegation battle is still taking requests to participate.  A very rich bloke has purchased some of Man Utd and that, because it’s Man Utd, is all that seems to matter in the sports media.  It’s just Yawny McYawnface to me. To inform your judgment about whether to watch the cricket, rugby or football this weekend here’s the PL menu on offer;

Aston Villa v Notts Forest - the hosts are mixing up their performances but keeping pace with the leaders and are deservedly in 4th.  Forest’s win last time out will have kept the hopes alive, albeit the spectre of points deduction still looms and their form is not saying ‘meh, whatever - we’ll be fine’.  2-0

Brighton v Everton - the absolute least the filthy fetid wretched stinking Seagulls can do is pot the Toffees with minimum fuss.  Their demolition of Sheff Utd last week suggest that will occur, as indeed was Everton’s abject performance against Palace mid-week. 3-0

Palace v Burnley - warning! apparently easy match alert! Banana skins come in many forms but mostly just as the wrapper of the herb known as a banana. Sometimes for comic effect they are devices to upend inattentive pedestrians. That’s bad and wrong by contemporary thinking, but the metaphor sustains. 1-0  

Man Utd v Fulham - four wins on the bounce for Utd and I am literally thrilled to bits for them. Fulham remain trapped in the doldrums, not much risk and not much to hope for. 2-1

Bournemouth v Man City - go to the dictionary and look up ‘regression to the mean’ and it’ll have a picture of Bournemouth AFC.  Briefly the Harlem Globe Trotters and now back to being the low grade hoof-ballers they really are, with three draws from the last six to show for all the promise.   Not seeing Pep in a giving mood here, with Liverpool now four points clear atop the table. 0-3

Arsenal v Newcastle - unbeaten in the last four is better from the Toon but the Gunners are all afire right now.  Probably the best game to watch this weekend and Mickey A will be pumping in even more of his crazy other world energy in to his young charges, hoping for a City slip and move in to second place. 3-2

Sunday

Wolves v Sheffield Utd - a win ostensibly keeps Wolves up with twelve games to play and the Blades will offer meagre resistance after already losing 18 of their 25 this season.  Zero thrills 2-0

Monday

West Ham v Brentford - so the Hammers are falling apart, three draws and now three defeats, Even if that carries on all season they’ll stay up (just) but it’s not what you’d call an inspiring display of leadership by grumpy old Davey Moyes.  Brentford aren’t exactly pulling up trees either. Form says both will lose but even that there funky new AI can’t make that work. 1-1

For the detailerati out there, Chelsea & Liverpool will play out the ‘EFL Cup’ final to little enthusiasm, so Spurs and Luton also get the weekend off. 

I’m off to rewrite the internet so that all future AI images of me seamlessly blend Mr P Brosnan and an eclectic band of former Crystal Palace players. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 23
    Grillin’ with the air fryer, drinkin’ a Happier Valley.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,765
    About to lightly trim a 16# whole prime packer and then season for an early am date with the XL. Our fearless leader of our bourbon group celebrating 65 years tomorrow. 12 attendees. Gonna be a blow out. Unicorn bourbons guaranteed 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    About to lightly trim a 16# whole prime packer and then season for an early am date with the XL. Our fearless leader of our bourbon group celebrating 65 years tomorrow. 12 attendees. Gonna be a blow out. Unicorn bourbons guaranteed 
    Whooaaa, buddy, good times ahead!  Looking forward to the after action report.

• Kind of a sobering experience last night. While on the way to an event with the family in tow in the early evening, I was travelling at about 45mph (speed of traffic; just slightly higher than speed limit) through a busy intersection with multiple lanes in each direction, I noticed a dazed teenage/young woman try to sprint directly across very heavy and swiftly moving traffic as we passed on a green light. Anticipating that she would get hit, I leaned on the horn to try to warn her. She proceeded regardless and stepped out from my left side in front of the vehicle travelling parallel to me, but one lane over to the left. The driver in that lane swerved in front of me to try to avoid her (I braked hard to try to give him space without being rear-ended; we didn’t connect) but he hit her full bore nonetheless. I pulled over, went to see if the girl, who was lying on the ground and appeared out of it, was okay. She got up slowly and dizzily, had a cursory exchange with the driver who hit her and got into the passenger seat of his car, which was now quite damaged on the front driver side and was blocking a lane and a half as it sat perpendicular to the road. Driver, who owned no blame in the scenario and took my contact info as a witness, said the girl didn’t want contact with emergency services and that he would instead be driving her wherever she wanted to go. Meanwhile, individuals who had reportedly been fellow passengers on the city bus with her earlier, said she seemed to be under the influence of something and hadn’t heeded their warnings about not crossing. Her taking off without medical assessment didn’t sit right. She was hit so hard, and seemed so out of it, that I called it in nonetheless, being sure to note that the driver was not at fault. I figure her only reason for not wanting the interaction with first responders was to circumvent parental or other discipline. Within about a minute, ambulance, fire and police were all present. Recognizing that as witnesses, we had little else to offer and were already late for our engagement, we took off. 

Hope she is alright, and very thankful that I was not the one to have collided with her. Also thankful that she did not end up under the car, that my kids didn’t witness it, and that motorists behind us did not pile up. Interestingly, I was curious about fatality rates for cars vs pedestrians at these speeds and they are very, very grim. 

A good reminder that life is short and fragile, substances can lead to some very illogical decisions (if this was in fact a factor), and we are lucky to have first responders who are willing to face such scenes, regardless of potential trauma to themselves, despite their causes - be they stupidity, recklessness or malice. 

Sorry for the long post. Was just very surreal. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 23
    @GrateEggspectations what an awful scenario.  Unfortunately, adrenaline and in some cases drugs make an individual get up and move quickly with severe internal injuries and broken bones.

I hope the driver took her to seek medical care.  You absolutely did the right thing and all you could do.  Good on you for being aware of what was going on.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,837
    edited February 23
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Thanks Ozzie. I wondered about substances and shock masking her injuries as well. Seeing the damage to the car, she must have had some injuries. With all emergency services on hand, I’m confident she got appropriate care.

As @samiam2 would wisely say, hug your loved ones every chance you get. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
     Tough for the girl but she is lucky you had the situational awareness to do the best you could in that situation.  I am quite surprised that the driver of the impact car yielded to her request and offered to drive her to some destination. 
    The seagoing "Law of Gross Tonnage" is applicable in any collision between a human and a car at speed. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap

I was surprised as well. So many downsides. Her health. Insurance. Her recovery, had it been caused by substances and should she need a wake up call. Just didn’t make sense on any front. 

Had to look up the law of gross tonnage. Not sure I’d make a good submariner. 🙃
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    @GrateEggspectations Glad you and family came out unscathed, at least physically. If she was indeed WUI hopefully this is her turning point.
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,357
    @GrateEggspectations - I read that as you did took the proper actions at the proper time(s), to include after the contact happened.  Easy to envision a more tragic outcome had you not had situational awareness and your wits working together.
    As bad as this is, take some comfort in knowing you made it less so.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Thanks @Canugghead. My logic as well. If this was substance-induced, it might actually be beneficial for her to hit bottom. And even if not, shouldn’t she be held accountable for the actions that caused the damage to the car that hit her/the potential injuries she caused to everyone that had to perform dangerous manoeuvres to try to avoid her?   
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Cars do some some crazy things to a human body. I’ve seen some horrific aftermath. Our jurisdiction is sitting at like 30 auto related fatalities YTD with around half being auto vs ped. Oddly enough, we aren’t allowed to enforce jaywalking anymore and people cross outside a marked crosswalk on every road. It’s insane. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,052
    Cars do some some crazy things to a human body. I’ve seen some horrific aftermath. Our jurisdiction is sitting at like 30 auto related fatalities YTD with around half being auto vs ped. 
    Just today the local news interviewed a UT highway patrolman, whose patrol cars have been hit six times already (he's escaped serious injury, so far).  He was understandably pissed, and if I were him I'd be looking into a transition career...  :o 

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Cars do some some crazy things to a human body. I’ve seen some horrific aftermath. Our jurisdiction is sitting at like 30 auto related fatalities YTD with around half being auto vs ped. Oddly enough, we aren’t allowed to enforce jaywalking anymore and people cross outside a marked crosswalk on every road. It’s insane. 

Thanks for that, @dbcooper

@Battleborn - I don’t doubt you’ve seen more than your fair share. You were on my mind when I posted. Funny thing about this one was that she was crossing at a crosswalk - just entirely against the signals, and with easily foreseen consequences.