Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    Changed the rollers, belt and pulley on the dryer. Good as new and purring like a kitten. Parts were about $40. Better than junking it!
    no pics, didn't happen  ;)
    canuckland
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 419
    edited February 27
    Decided to rearrange the BGE's shed. It has these cook things in it: the Roccbox, the Mini BGE and the Large BGE in the Cuna cart. Plus the old cart, now empty, that my now-destroyed (last November, in a windstorm) Medium BGE had used. This cart, because of the 18" hole in the middle, was basically not useful.
    Here's that cart with the aged top varnished. Not refinished, just a coat to protect it. The cart itself is very strong and stout.
    Then I added some miscellaneous pieces of 3/4" plywood from the scrap pile, which is why there's a small gap. I'd varnished the bottom surface of these wooden parts before screwing them down. I left the top bare for gluing.

Next up was to mix a bunch of epoxy. I did this in batches to avoid overheating it. All in all, it took nearly half a pound of epoxy to glue down the stainless steel top. The steel came from Metals Supermarket.com, by the way; they cut it to size for me.
    The shop was cold so it took a while for the epoxy to cure. Some epoxy doesn't, in cold temps, but this stuff does.
    Now I could put the Roccbox and Mini on it. I'll have to drag the Roccbox forward a bit. Turns out that the propane doesn't quite fit under the top, either standing up nor on its side. I'll have to figure out something. Can't use a side-shelf or the cart won't fit the shed. And remember what I said about the cart being strong and stout? Can't really change the height of its parts.
    This frees up the Roccbox's old cart which can now go somewhere else. It's nice cart but it's a little low for me. Yes, that middle shelf will get relocated. I'd had to put it high to get the propane on board.
    Thanks for looking.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Loving the profile photo changes, @ColtsFan, @Ozzie_Isaac. Hilarious. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
    edited February 27
    I am giving the profile move serious thought but I do have to remind members of the sailor message.  Decision TBD.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I loved yours, @lousubcap. The bourbon, the Cheetos, the uniform. Too bad the AI didn’t sneak that SM into the background (or even foreground). 
  • How do you like the Mini vs the Medium @Corv I am curious about your choice of epoxy over a tube of liquid nails or similar.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,357
    @WeberWho & @Corv - Some really nice work on both projects.  
    Love seeing refurbishing/restoring/repairing efforts.  Good stuff.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • A little maintenance while watching VGK get worked. I will probably get yelled at when BattleBoss gets home for using a beach towel. 
    Nothing a little salt water can’t fix. 😀
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    A little maintenance while watching VGK get worked. I will probably get yelled at when BattleBoss gets home for using a beach towel. 
    Nothing a little salt water can’t fix. 😀
    That’s true. Finally getting back to the ocean in a couple of weeks for a nice San Diego getaway. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Corv
    I had plenty of this epoxy on hand, it was primarily convenience.
    The Medium was my general-use Egg. The Mini is fine and I use it for one-person meals. A couple brats? Mini time.
    When the Medium died, I replaced it with a Large BGE. This let me get more accessories. The first cook was a chicken on a Joetissorie, as an example. Both the Large and the Medium would cook a 2-3 pound Tri-tip but the Large seems to use less lump and I don't have to work quite as much about placement.
    Unfortunately it didn't fit this old cart.
  • Corv said:
    I had plenty of this epoxy on hand, it was primarily convenience.
    The Medium was my general-use Egg. The Mini is fine and I use it for one-person meals. A couple brats? Mini time.
    When the Medium died, I replaced it with a Large BGE. This let me get more accessories. The first cook was a chicken on a Joetissorie, as an example. Both the Large and the Medium would cook a 2-3 pound Tri-tip but the Large seems to use less lump and I don't have to work quite as much about placement.
    Unfortunately it didn't fit this old cart.

I thought you had a reason for using epoxy.  I don't know how much clearance you need to get a propane tank underneath but you could notch out the (stout) lower shelf.  Or mount a hanger on either end. Nice project, your table looks great.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    @Corv perhaps buy or fabricate a tank hanging gizmo similar to this?

canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,632
    Postponing moving my parents. Dad is still dealing with Covid 11 weeks after he tested positive. He had every vaccination offered including the latest.
  • Phone is blowing up with tornado watches, putting it on vibrate.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ok considering the basement 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,765
    It was hellaciously windy here in Louisiana yesterday. There’s a squall line push S/SE. looks like a baby cold front. Y’all be safe up there in the Midwest 
  • Canugghead
    edited February 28
    Debating between cataracts and new glasses, keep getting tiny version of these avatars mixed up when fast scrolling...

canuckland
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,661
    WeberWho said:
    Here's a picture from the ad for the $50 Blackstone I picked up a few weeks ago. 

It has sat neglected but beggars can't be choosers for $50.

I brought it home and cleaned it up. She was pretty rusty where the top hard cover couldn't reach.

With a little elbow grease and some time it cleaned right up. 

The accessory hooks were an eyesore. So I chucked each one up in the drill and hit them with some sandpaper. 

It was in the 50's a few weeks ago which is crazy for this time of year so I found a few days to sand down the side table and hit them with a couple coats of paint.

I somehow managed to lose a shoulder bolt for the side tables. I messaged Blackstone and asked if I could get the dimension of the shoulder bolt to see if I could track down a replacement or something similar. The lady who contacted me through Blackstone gave me the dimension of the bolt and said they would be happy to provide me complimentary replacements. A week later I had four new shoulder bolts in my mailbox. I really give Blackstone a bunch of credit. I had to go through Blackstone warranty around 5-6 years ago and it was by far the worst customer warranty service I've ever had to deal with. To the point where they were lying and making things up. I fought them for nearly 6 months until they realized I wasn't going to give up and they sent me a new replacement Blackstone base for my other 36" griddle. I know a couple of shoulder bolts isn't a Blackstone base but it would take weeks or even months before I'd get a simple response back from Blackstone. This time it was just a few hours when emailing back and forth. The lady from Blackstone couldn't have been easier to work with and went way above my expectations. I wrote a nice message to Blackstone management saying how good she was with customer service. She was appreciative of the message. It's nice to see a companies customer service do a complete 180. Night and day difference from past experience. (My wife found the missing shoulder bolt in the driveway a day after my new shoulder bolts arrived. Agh!!)

I cut down a yoga mat to help protect the new paint for a little while. This was more of an afterthought and it shows. But for a $5 yoga mat and $4 in magnet's it will keep the new paint from getting all scuffed up and the mats from flying away. 

The casters were all gummed up from sitting outside for years in the dirt and rain. They left a gold steak of rust on the ground when attempting to roll the griddle around. I took each caster apart and cleaned them up. They were caked full of dirt and rust. Now the griddle can be rolled around with zero resistance. 

The griddle top after seasoning with lard.

And finally some dinner.... 

some are smart..

some are good..

and some are both...

excellent outcome
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Canugghead
    +some are lucky....
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    Debating between cataracts and new glasses, keep getting tiny version of these avatars mixed up when fast scrolling...

new glasses, a trip to the strip club, and a pile of ones.........or do they just accept venmo nawadays =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Debating between cataracts and new glasses, keep getting tiny version of these avatars mixed up when fast scrolling...

You’re just confused because you must think we’re both a$$es. 
  • Corv
    A propane bottle holder like that is on my agenda now.
    Nice Blackstone rebuild!
  • Canugghead
    edited February 28

You’re just confused because you must think we’re both a$$es. 
    Yup, like fish said I need new pair of gla$$es, to distinguish the a$$es, lol
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,227
    Admiring this grill I saw on Facebook.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    Admiring this grill I saw on Facebook.

good searing machine, tires burn really hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it