Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    Dumb question @JohnInCarolina I understand weaves in concrete and rebar in concrete, but your drawing looks like carbon tubes.  That could be interesting because not only could you improve tensile strength, but may even improve compressive and flexural strength.  How do you "firmly" embed tubes like that?
    Momma joke in 3-2-…
  • Dumb question @JohnInCarolina I understand weaves in concrete and rebar in concrete, but your drawing looks like carbon tubes.  That could be interesting because not only could you improve tensile strength, but may even improve compressive and flexural strength.  How do you "firmly" embed tubes like that?
    I’m not sure it’s really all that more difficult to attach concrete to carbon fibers than it is to standard rebar, but that’s really a question that’s more about processing/ mat sci  than mechanics.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I ran across this on reddit and thought of you @lousubcap

Quentin Tarantino's actor wish list for the roles in Pulp Fiction (1994)

CDN media

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Just landed in ABQ.  Managed to grade all but last problem on the exam.  Will finish tonight while eating dinner, probably at the Flying Star.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,066
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian - people were definitely eating well right there.  Impressive groceries for those in attendance. 
    Thanks @lousubcap , the randomness of potsticker sausage and brisket dumplings went well 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    Dumb question @JohnInCarolina I understand weaves in concrete and rebar in concrete, but your drawing looks like carbon tubes.  That could be interesting because not only could you improve tensile strength, but may even improve compressive and flexural strength.  How do you "firmly" embed tubes like that?
    I’m not sure it’s really all that more difficult to attach concrete to carbon fibers than it is to standard rebar, but that’s really a question that’s more about processing/ mat sci  than mechanics.  
    The ridges in the rebar plus other surface inclusions help the concrete to "bite".  Carbon tubes tend to have a smooth exterior surface, plus the epoxy they use isn't conducive to bonding.  We prep carbon surfaces a lot to ensure a good bond.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Just landed in ABQ.  Managed to grade all but last problem on the exam.  Will finish tonight while eating dinner, probably at the Flying Star.
    I had to check their menu, see if it was a place I remember (it wasn't) but the opening page featured a pic of... Matzo Ball Soup?!?   Looks like it's a christmas special, otherwise they had NM-style dishes.  I need to revisit that city.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Dumb question @JohnInCarolina I understand weaves in concrete and rebar in concrete, but your drawing looks like carbon tubes.  That could be interesting because not only could you improve tensile strength, but may even improve compressive and flexural strength.  How do you "firmly" embed tubes like that?
    The ridges in the rebar plus other surface inclusions help the concrete to "bite".  Carbon tubes tend to have a smooth exterior surface, plus the epoxy they use isn't conducive to bonding.  We prep carbon surfaces a lot to ensure a good bond.
    These are made with fibers, not tubes as far as I can tell.  Typically attaining a good bond is the result of some kind of chemical functionalization if it's not structural.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    These are made with fibers, not tubes as far as I can tell.  Typically attaining a good bond is the result of some kind of chemical functionalization if it's not structural.  
    So, magic😁 I hate rebar in road/bridge construction.  Too much salt up here. Preloaded steal cable concrete beams scare me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,357

Is there something specific to the composition (recipe) of the concrete for use with the carbon tubes?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dbCooper said:

Is there something specific to the composition (recipe) of the concrete for use with the carbon tubes?
    I have no idea.  Like I wrote above, I don't make this stuff.  I just used it as an interesting problem in a final exam.  
  • Exam is all graded, by the way.  Average was just over a 72.  There will be a generous curve applied...
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Exam is all graded, by the way.  Average was just over a 72.  There will be a generous curve applied...
    I would name you “The Hatchet” not “The Weekend Killer.”
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    edited December 2023
    Exam is all graded, by the way.  Average was just over a 72.  There will be a generous curve applied...
    Dang, 72 for average?  That is pretty high.  What was the median?

I always enjoyed ruining curves. I kept that quiet from most the kids, but my friends knew I set the curves in most my classes.  They would ask me what I got so they knew the curve.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,601
    I ran across this on reddit and thought of you @lousubcap

CDN media

Thanks for the above.  Good read to see the "going in" and the eventual pics.  A few 3 stars accepted their roles. 
    Game on for December 25.  The umteenth annual showing. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap

I always enjoyed ruining curves. I kept that quiet from most the kids, but my friends knew I set the curves in most my classes.  They would ask me what I got so they knew the curve.
    Agree with the assessment of the relative value for the average.  However, given this is graduate school the curve is definitely inflated by at least a letter grade plus.  A lower level class "C" was at least a "B" in the higher ranks.  At least that was the norm many decades ago.  Nothing like taking a few graduate level course as an undergrad and "riding the curve".  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:

Agree with the assessment of the relative value for the average.  However, given this is graduate school the curve is definitely inflated by at least a letter grade plus.  A lower level class "C" was at least a "B" in the higher ranks.  At least that was the norm many decades ago.  Nothing like taking a few graduate level course as an undergrad and "riding the curve".  B)
    Yep - B’s are not what you want for grades in graduate school. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    lousubcap said:

But do B’s get degrees?
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    lousubcap said:
    I ran across this on reddit and thought of you @lousubcap

CDN media

Thanks for the above.  Good read to see the "going in" and the eventual pics.  A few 3 stars accepted their roles. 
    Game on for December 25.  The umteenth annual showing. 
    I thought it was interesting that Uma Thurman wasn't even on the list for the role that she absolutely nailed.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• @JohnInCarolina

"Yep - B’s are not what you want for grades in graduate school"

I can't believe I totally went into it wanting the wrong grade? You learn so much on this forum.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,661
    lkapigian said:
    Potsticker Sausage on Pilaf with Calabrian Chili Crisp , Brisket Dumpling and a Texas Twinkie ( and some other stuff from yesterday)

lawdhavemercy

this guy cooks....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap said:

But do B’s get degrees?
    Just barely.  I think a B- average is sufficient to place you on academic suspension.  
  • lousubcap
    Reminds me of the joke, "what do you call the anchorman of his medical school class?"  "Doctor."
  • lousubcap said:
    Reminds me of the joke, "what do you call the anchorman of his medical school class?"  "Doctor."
    Assuming they can pass the boards.  There is definitely an extra quality check in place for MDs.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    Power is out, house is dark, long brown shag rug

Puppy is setting up land mines
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    For your viewing pleasure-
    Tonight's ManningCast MNF guests-

Who are 'ManningCast' guests for Week 15?

• Guest 1: Mina Kimes
    • Guest 2: Christian McCaffrey
    • Guest 3: TBD
    Always a great show, independent of the quality of the game.