Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    Congrats on salvaging a draw @CPFC1905.  Almost redemption for last weekend.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,166
    edited December 2023
    Giving my final exam in my graduate course (continuum mechanics).  Nothing quite like proctoring a test from 2-5 on a Saturday.  And yes I could ask one of my PhD students to do this, but that's not the way I roll.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,601
    Giving my final exam in my graduate course (continuum mechanics).  Nothing quite like proctoring a test from 2-5 on a Saturday.  And yes I could ask one of my PhD students to do this, but that's not the way I roll.  
    The academic equivalent of "when in charge, be in charge."  Clearly the right thing to do...Well-played. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629

A leader should show up in good times and in bad. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Can you please post one question that is on that exam here for us?  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    kl8ton said:
    Good request; my BS is in ME, and I don't even know what "continuum mechanics" is!  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    kl8ton said:
    The answer is “C”. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton said:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,060
    I didn't take Greek.
    Not a felon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    Something nerdy like that deserves a wedgie.  🤓 🩲 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    After a quick calculation, the correct answer is 7. Not C. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina

I like that. Thanks for playing along. I'm headed to Florida for vacation for a while. I may try to tackle this problem. Also, I might not.  Is this one of the easier problems or one of the more difficult problems on the test? I see it's worth 30 points. Are all of the problems weighted the same?

Are you grading all of these exams? How many students? How long will it take you to grade these exams?
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    I always get the  Piola–Kirchhoff stress tensor confused with the Cauchy stress tensor.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    Foghorn said:
    Congrats on salvaging a draw @CPFC1905.  Almost redemption for last weekend.
    Got to be the inflection point, no good if they revert to being absolute bobbins next time.
    Oh wait,  Thursday is El-Gatwicko   The filthy fetid wretched bin-dippers are coming to Selhurst.

1-1,  always is - BTW.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • You lost me at carbon fiber in concrete, because I always thought that the best fiber to put carbon in was underpants for my sister Beulah. Your problem seems to indicate that there's concrete out there somewhere with worse farts than Beulah has. I'm glad I never went to college, if you all are just problem solving farting concrete there. My father always said .. if it's going to smell bad, just don't let it out. You college folks would do well to tell the new concrete people that I guess.

• kl8ton said:
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina

I like that. Thanks for playing along. I'm headed to Florida for vacation for a while. I may try to tackle this problem. Also, I might not.  Is this one of the easier problems or one of the more difficult problems on the test? I see it's worth 30 points. Are all of the problems weighted the same?

Are you grading all of these exams? How many students? How long will it take you to grade these exams?
    It’s one of the harder problems, so it’s worth more.  I’ll be grading them all myself, I always do.  There are nine students in the course.  It will take me most of the day today to grade.
  • @lkapigian Absolutely fantastic 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • @JohnInCarolina. Well at least it’s an indoor weather day for today’s grading. Have a great day John.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • @JohnInCarolina. Well at least it’s an indoor weather day for today’s grading. Have a great day John.
    Haha I’m actually flying out to Albuquerque.  So I’ll be grading on the plane.  The university rules say we’re not supposed to grade when we’re high but I don’t think this is what they meant…
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,066
    @lkapigian Absolutely fantastic 😋
    Thanks my friend 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina - I will take an option on that question.  So the students aren't yet in the PhD program and wrestling with this??
    What have we come to where you have to be told, by the rules, to not grade when high?? ;)  I mean there is a good chance some of the test takers, paper writers etc were high at the time their knowledge was offered up...
    Safe travels to the land of big energy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    @lkapigian - people were definitely eating well right there.  Impressive groceries for those in attendance. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    ColbyLang said:
    Ahhh, the first day home is always peaceful. Theyre tired, you’re tired. Wait til day 3-4….they get comfy and start acting like a puppy.

Myles is cute, can’t wait to see @fishlessman new addition as well. Hard to believe my 2 have been with us for a year tomorrow 
    If the first night tells me something.....the wire crate gets replaced with a small rubber room.  Crazy is an understatement
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 245
    HeavyG said:
    I always get the  Piola–Kirchhoff stress tensor confused with the Cauchy stress tensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX27AfOEYGc

Pure comic gold.
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    Pizza oven
    2 Dogs Back to 3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I will take an option on that question.  So the students aren't yet in the PhD program and wrestling with this??
    What have we come to where you have to be told, by the rules, to not grade when high?? ;)  I mean there is a good chance some of the test takers, paper writers etc were high at the time their knowledge was offered up...
    Safe travels to the land of big energy.
    Mix of Masters and (first year) PhD students in the class. I had several drop out after the first homework assignment.  

I have to keep up my reputation among the students as the “Destroyer of Weekends” ;)
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 420
    I was thinking that my undergraduate structures class didn't get into this sort of thing. And anisotropic behavior of materials is common enough in aerospace composite structural engineering, but I hadn't thought that civil engineering addressed it. Very interesting -- and far beyond my lowly level of rigor. Thanks!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    Dumb question @JohnInCarolina I understand weaves in concrete and rebar in concrete, but your drawing looks like carbon tubes.  That could be interesting because not only could you improve tensile strength, but may even improve compressive and flexural strength.  How do you "firmly" embed tubes like that?

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL