Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• @JohnInCarolina

Should really get there in Oktober. 
    It's a work trip, so I don't have much agency around timing.  But I'm sure I'll still have some decent beer while there.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @JohnInCarolina

Probably just as well. I have a friend in Munich and it sounds like it’s pretty messy. 🙃
  • @JohnInCarolina

Probably just as well. I have a friend in Munich and it sounds like it’s pretty messy. 🙃
    I’ll be at Oberwolfach, in the middle of the Black Forest.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,238
    Oohh, nice!  We were looking to go to Germany for the Christmas markets.  What flights do you take?  What is a reasonable layover for Heathrow?  Most flights I saw to Munich had 3.5hr layovers.  I would prefer 4+ hrs.  Last time in Heathrow it took forever.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Oohh, nice!  We were looking to go to Germany for the Christmas markets.  What flights do you take?  What is a reasonable layover for Heathrow?  Most flights I saw to Munich had 3.5hr layovers.  I would prefer 4+ hrs.  Last time in Heathrow it took forever.
    I try to avoid layovers overseas.  I’m flying into Frankfurt, and there are direct flights to it from Atlanta and JFK.   So I just connect to one of those on this side of the Atlantic. 
  • Try the Budweiser John, the original Czech Budweiser Budvar is a really good beer. I was in Berlin when the wall came down and I nearly laughed when the bartender at my hotel offered me a bud. Once she explained the whole difference between Czech Pilsner Budweiser vs watered down American Budweiser, I ordered one. It's a really solid Pilsner (brewed in Pilsen Czech, so a true pilsner) worth a take
  • Ybabpmuts said:
    Try the Budweiser John, the original Czech Budweiser Budvar is a really good beer. I was in Berlin when the wall came down and I nearly laughed when the bartender at my hotel offered me a bud. Once she explained the whole difference between Czech Pilsner Budweiser vs watered down American Budweiser, I ordered one. It's a really solid Pilsner (brewed in Pilsen Czech, so a true pilsner) worth a take
    I’ve been to Germany many times, and I do enjoy a good German pils.
  • Ybabpmuts said:
    Try the Budweiser John, the original Czech Budweiser Budvar is a really good beer. I was in Berlin when the wall came down and I nearly laughed when the bartender at my hotel offered me a bud. Once she explained the whole difference between Czech Pilsner Budweiser vs watered down American Budweiser, I ordered one. It's a really solid Pilsner (brewed in Pilsen Czech, so a true pilsner) worth a take
    Beer in the Czech Republic is also dirt cheap. Fond memories of huge, great meals and a couple of pints - all for like $15. On the train from Prague to Vienna, draft Pilsner Urquell was 1€. Pretty sure they had to stop just to swap out the kegs. 
  • Ybabpmuts said:
    Beer in the Czech Republic is also dirt cheap. Fond memories of huge, great meals and a couple of pints when we were there with our first born - all for like $15. That’s the entire tab for the family. On the train from Prague to Vienna, draft Pilsner Urquell was 1€. Pretty sure they had to stop just to swap out the kegs. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,606
    You are likely an experienced international traveler so I get the underlying questions in good fun.
    Too easy to make it happen from any major airport and there are several that offer direct to Munich. 
    The beer is outstanding and the sausages just elevate the whole experience. 
    Oktoberfest is a beer drikner's heaven and should be experienced at least once.  F'ing awesome. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Beer snobs will tell you that the only true pilsners are those brewed in Pilson Czech, like that original budveiser and Pilsner Urquell to name two. 

Obviously, it's bullsh!t as many great beers are brewed all over the friggin world, but when you get to Germany and their purity brewing laws, etc, people get all uppity about it that sort of thing.

In Ireland you'll hear the same crap about Guinness, if you don't drink it over there it isn't "true" Guinness that you're drinking. I've been to Ireland three times to install large production lines, and every time the locals took me out and we always drank Murphys Stout. Nobody was drinking Guinness. Go figure.

• Ybabpmuts said:
    Beer snobs will tell you that the only true pilsners are those brewed in Pilson Czech, like that original budveiser and Pilsner Urquell to name two. 

Obviously, it's bullsh!t as many great beers are brewed all over the friggin world, but when you get to Germany and their purity brewing laws, etc, people get all uppity about it that sort of thing.

In Ireland you'll hear the same crap about Guinness, if you don't drink it over there it isn't "true" Guinness that you're drinking. I've been to Ireland three times to install large production lines, and every time the locals took me out and we always drank Murphys Stout. Nobody was drinking Guinness. Go figure.

To your point, one of my greatest beer experiences was enjoying a quadruple IPA (22%) at Brew Dog (Scottish Brewery) in Belgium. Truly an international beer experience. And for the purists. I can assure you I sampled many a local Belgian beer while there as well. 
  • lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations - 22%.  You must have had handlers address the follow-on impact.  That is some very serious octane. 
    But as long as you recalled it and enjoyed it in the cold light of day... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Recently clicked through here to try and win an egg

http://biggreenegg.olesmoky.com/
  • Had my tooth pulled today and the first stage of an implant completed. Waiting for the second pain pill to kick in. The seven dwarfs were swinging their picks in that side of my face with abandon. The pain pill is a joke also. If I was in Colorado I would go get a gummy.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,066

Missouri's closer.
    Not a felon
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    dbCooper said:
    After a cursory exam, looks like the old girl still has good bones.  The inner adjustable tuner coil (on the right) is buggered, but should be able to rewind it.  For those intrigued by the tickler, its coil (on the left) is in good shape.  Should be a fun project for this winter.

Good to see the correct technical terminology applied here. Well done.  
    Buggered fits in along the continuum just before 'toast',  'cattle trucked',  and 'Kerry Packered'.  the last requires knowledge of either Australian media barons or 1980's cricket.  Each falls a fraction short of how the hare might end up in the coarsing scene from Snatch. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950

Gameweek #7 already.  I remember when the season was only a distant dream. Time flies don’t it.  What do we know so far, all teams have a  point - which is better than it might have been, the promoted teams are all struggling - usually one starts well,  Spurs are the surprise package so far but have plenty of time for their Spursyness to emerge, Newcastle have won two on the bounce and will soon settle in to the top 4 to match their budget. 

Saturday

Villa v Brighton, very similar teams in as several ways.  Hosts will see this as chance for statement win, which disgusts me because it’s the filthy Seagulls being spoken of, who are merely the puppets of dark forces. I don’t have the energy for conspiracy theories, except this one BTW. 2-2

Bournemouth v Arsenal, tough start for the Cherries while the Gunners are hitting their stride the season - no apparent hangover from missing out last season and on balance a good draw with Spurs last time out. 0-2

Everton v Luton, bottom of the table clash but despite their enthusiasm for being a bit rubbish the Toffees should have enough for a comfortably out of their depth Hatters.  Succour for Sean Dyche. 3-1

Man Utd v Palace, a thoroughly abject defat in this match-up mid-week for the purposes of an irrelevant cup hopefully means nothing, given heavy squad rotation. I think we can contain them most of the time but can’t see a win.  A penalty and late second sees the hosts limp over the line 2-0 

Newcastle v Burnley, 3-0 could be more

West Ham v Sheff Utd, smashed to bits last week the Blades are in a proper pickle.  The Hammers will fancy picking a piece of the pickle. 4-0

Wolves v Man City, City are 6 from 6 while Wolves are lucky there are worse teams than them, at the moment. Pick a number for City. 0-3 as a placeholder 

Spurs v Liverpool, the one to watch this weekend.  Both undefeated and averaging nearly 3 goals per game. Genuinely tough to call. 2-1 on the basis of home advantage but slender margins.

Sunday

Notes Forest v Brentford, mid-table mediocrity fare on offer here. The hosts have not suffered second season syndrome yet while their visitors are missing their suspended striker, and off the back of two defeats. Low goal count schedule filler. 1-1

Monday

Fulham v Chelsea,  unremarkable start XI hosts the poor start XI. Problems sustain at the Chels’ who sit 14th. Oddly both teams would relish a 0-0 and that’s more than likely. 0-0

An array of bilge and sparkle on offer this weekend.  Choose your popcorn accompaniment carefully. Tally ho!

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,359
    CPFC1905 said:
    dbCooper said:
    After a cursory exam, looks like the old girl still has good bones.  The inner adjustable tuner coil (on the right) is buggered, but should be able to rewind it.  For those intrigued by the tickler, its coil (on the left) is in good shape.  Should be a fun project for this winter.

Buggered fits in along the continuum just before 'toast',  'cattle trucked',  and 'Kerry Packered'.  the last requires knowledge of either Australian media barons or 1980's cricket.  Each falls a fraction short of how the hare might end up in the coarsing scene from Snatch. 
    The first spanner has been thrown in the works.  Buddy of mine reports a proper triode valve is not within his father's hoard.  Not exactly a sticky wicket yet, but could happen.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,238
    dbCooper said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    dbCooper said:

The first spanner has been thrown in the works.  Buddy of mine reports a proper triode valve is not within his father's hoard.  Not exactly a sticky wicket yet, but could happen.
    https://youtu.be/fV3Y5XgidEQ?si=ThvVSdujtFlhpDpM

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Legume said:

Missouri's closer.
    The areas where marijuana is legal in Canada are in blue. 

• lousubcap
    Looks great.  However, I would have to cut it into only four pieces as no way I could eat eight.  B)
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,411
    I keep forgetting I don't need share with the dog anymore 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Watching Chevy Chase’s Vacation with the daughter.  First time seeing it for her.  We’ll see if it holds up.
  • Sounds good John. I'll never forget sitting down with my oldest daughter, I think she was 9 or 10 at the time, and watching an early,  black and white episode of Gilligan's Island. She laughed her a$$ off at that, real serious guffaw belly laughing too. I'll never forget it. Worth more than gold that night.
  • lousubcap
    dbCooper said:
    Last Friday we watched NE women's volleyball with friends at a newish bar, doing the same tonight.  The place serves only drinks, no food.  Guests are encouraged to bring their own food in.  I'm bringing Kalbi tonight.  These just got a flip, they should be happy in 30 min or so...

You should have a no-cost evening right there.  Looking good!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,060
    dbCooper said:
    Last Friday we watched NE women's volleyball with friends at a newish bar, doing the same tonight.  The place serves only drinks, no food.  Guests are encouraged to bring their own food in.  I'm bringing Kalbi tonight.  These just got a flip, they should be happy in 30 min or so...

Kalbi, chopped into thirds after grilling, would be a most excellent bar/finger food; hmmm... 
    I can get them here at the Commissary (called "flanken" cut) and at the mexican market (not sure what they're called there).  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.