Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    dbCooper said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    dbCooper said:
    Deciding if I want to take on a interesting project while there are many uninteresting projects in progress right now...

Is that a machine for making AI? Or, is it a charcoal lump grader? 
    @CPFC1905 - That is a coal fired time machine from the 1920's.  For highest date/time accuracy preliminary research indicates Missouri hard wood lump is best.  It's a hybrid and will also function on a A and B battery.  If I get it going on coal some of those will be picked up on the first trip back.

Hmmm... the big control labeled "Tickler" gives it away. It's a medical device used during the early 20th century to treat female "hysteria" which involved doctors using that device to find the proper wavelength and frequency to give their patients... well, just read the article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/09/victorian-vibrators-orgasms-doctors/569446/

I have no idea what that device was used for so time machine works for me. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    dbCooper said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    dbCooper said:
    Deciding if I want to take on a interesting project while there are many uninteresting projects in progress right now...

Is that a machine for making AI? Or, is it a charcoal lump grader? 
    @CPFC1905 - That is a coal fired time machine from the 1920's.  For highest date/time accuracy preliminary research indicates Missouri hard wood lump is best.  It's a hybrid and will also function on a A and B battery.  If I get it going on coal some of those will be picked up on the first trip back.

Hmmm... the big control labeled "Tickler" gives it away. It's a medical device used during the early 20th century to treat female "hysteria" which involved doctors using that device to find the proper wavelength and frequency to give their patients... well, just read the article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/09/victorian-vibrators-orgasms-doctors/569446/

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    HeavyG said:
    dbCooper said:

Oh, OK.   Absolutely did not expect to read that today.
    This bit;  'quickly and efficiently'  I am all about.   The anatomy and end state are entirely beyond me.
    Should I Google them?    The Board meeting I am in right now is a tad boring, and I have wireless access to the display screen if any of the search results are too small to read on my MacBook.
    Thanks in advance. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,238
    CPFC1905 said:
    HeavyG said:
    dbCooper said:

This bit;  'quickly and efficiently'  I am all about.   The anatomy and end state are entirely beyond me.
    Should I Google them?    The Board meeting I am in right now is a tad boring, and I have wireless access to the display screen if any of the search results are too small to read on my MacBook.
    Thanks in advance. 
    I spent the better part of my youth preparing for this moment, I don't need any instructions!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,235
    CPFC1905 said:
    HeavyG said:
    dbCooper said:

Thanks in advance. 
    I spent the better part of my youth preparing for this moment, I don't need any instructions!

i think you are supposed to put this on first....dont forget to plug it in

Dark Marvels First Electric Chair Execution Goes Horribly Wrong Season 1  - YouTube

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,606
    After a cumulative September rainfall total of 0.24 " I was enjoying the sound of a soaking rain until (no wind) the power went out.  Got it back after around 15 minutes down but we are headed back to third world reliability.  Thought we had made noticeable improvements in the past 10 years or so.  No so fast he says. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,359
    After a cursory exam, looks like the old girl still has good bones.  The inner adjustable tuner coil (on the right) is buggered, but should be able to rewind it.  For those intrigued by the tickler, its coil (on the left) is in good shape.  Should be a fun project for this winter.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • @dbCooper

Very neat project. I take it you’ll be opening a clinic upon completion?
  • dbCooper
    @dbCooper

Very neat project. I take it you’ll be opening a clinic upon completion?
    Well, hmm.  We recently inherited a business that we intend to capitalize on for the next year or so, at certain events.  If the "tickler" project is taken on, and completed to success, we could always add a tent for treatments as a side hustle.

Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,060
    Read some interesting hints, but still don't know what this thing does.
    Is it an early Transmogrifier?  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,979
    lousubcap said:
    After a cumulative September rainfall total of 0.24 " I was enjoying the sound of a soaking rain until (no wind) the power went out.  Got it back after around 15 minutes down but we are headed back to third world reliability.  Thought we had made noticeable improvements in the past 10 years or so.  No so fast he says. 
    Has been dry here for the last 2-3 weeks, my four barrels of rain are down to less than one.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap said:
    Your outages do seem to have become quite routine, Cap. Ever tempted to go off-grid?

We don’t have outages all that often, but you might recall me complaining about ten days without power last spring. 

This discussion is a good reminder to give those generators a run!
  • @botch find the picture @dbCooper posted that best represents the item. I chose the front facing one with controls. Copy the image, open another tab and type google image search, click on https://images.google.com/  once there, click the little camera in the search bar so you can search by images, paste @dbCooper image and there it is, a 

Antique Michigan Radio Corp. Single Tube Radio

or close enough, BTW I had guessed radio

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Also something I find really cool on the Iphone, take a picture of a plant, go to that picture on your phone, click the I with a circle around it at the bottom (information) and it will tell you what plant it is or family at least.  That is really handy, my moms friend always sends me pictures of plants and asks me what they are, she thought I just knew everything lol. I finally told her how to image ID using her phone.

On a similar note, you use the same functions to translate languages. We were at a private museum and the owner had a few German motorcycles with the side cars. My nephew asked the fella if he knew what the labels on it said, the guy laughed and said he had no idea. I remembered the translate function, took a picture and told the guy pretty much what they said. He was blown away, I think he was probably taking pictures of all his stuff after we left.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Finally for any of you bird watchers or avian curios individuals.  Download the Merlin Bird ID app, its free and I think created by Perdue University.  When you are sitting in your back yard open the app, it will listen for birds, ID them and highlight the bird making the call so you know which is which. It is really amazing how accurate it is.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Finally for any of you bird watchers or avian curios individuals.  Download the Merlin Bird ID app, its free and I think created by Perdue University.  When you are sitting in your back yard open the app, it will listen for birds, ID them and highlight the bird making the call so you know which is which. It is really amazing how accurate it is.
    That’s interesting.  I wonder if it was created at Perdue University because they were studying chickens…
  • dbCooper
    Botch said:
    Read some interesting hints, but still don't know what this thing does.
    Is it an early Transmogrifier?  

@Botch - It's a tabletop radio from the early 1920's, Michigan Radio Corporation model Midget M 10.  Sold for about $27, which is about $500. in today's dollars.

Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Also something I find really cool on the Iphone, take a picture of a plant, go to that picture on your phone, click the I with a circle around it at the bottom (information) and it will tell you what plant it is or family at least.  That is really handy, my moms friend always sends me pictures of plants and asks me what they are, she thought I just knew everything lol. I finally told her how to image ID using her phone.
    Supposedly MacOS 14 (released on Monday) can now do this for recipes: take a picture of a finished dish, and if recognized it'll look up the recipe(s) for you.  I'm anxious to try this out (I usually wait a week or so before upgrading to a new OS, just in case).  No idea if that's doable on iOS, but I don't see why not.  Amazing times.  

EDIT:  Hah!  It does work on iOS.  I clicked on a pic I posted yesterday of a beef/pepper stir fry, and it came back with five different recipes (beef-spaghetti stir fry, lemongrass beef stir fry, sizuan beef stir fry, and a couple chicken dishes).  Not too shabby for a dish that I just made up on the spot!  

That’s interesting.  I wonder if it was created at Perdue University because they were studying chickens…
    I think it’s more along the lines of tracking migration.  If you spend enough time around chickens you know what they are saying! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,238
    Botch said:
    Also something I find really cool on the Iphone, take a picture of a plant, go to that picture on your phone, click the I with a circle around it at the bottom (information) and it will tell you what plant it is or family at least.  That is really handy, my moms friend always sends me pictures of plants and asks me what they are, she thought I just knew everything lol. I finally told her how to image ID using her phone.
    Supposedly MacOS 14 (released on Monday) can now do this for recipes: take a picture of a finished dish, and if recognized it'll look up the recipe(s) for you.  I'm anxious to try this out (I usually wait a week or so before upgrading to a new OS, just in case).  No idea if that's doable on iOS, but I don't see why not.  Amazing times.  

EDIT:  Hah!  It does work on iOS.  I clicked on a pic I posted yesterday of a beef/pepper stir fry, and it came back with five different recipes (beef-spaghetti stir fry, lemongrass beef stir fry, sizuan beef stir fry, and a couple chicken dishes).  Not too shabby for a dish that I just made up on the spot!  
    What would have been more amazing was if the phone secretly recorded you making it, cross referenced with your recent grocery purchases, then used ChatGPT to write the recipe with photos from your phone secret recordings.  Stored in iCloud, then add this to available recipes for iphone people to search.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch
    It wouldn't surprise me.  :wink:  

• Also something I find really cool on the Iphone, take a picture of a plant, go to that picture on your phone, click the I with a circle around it at the bottom (information) and it will tell you what plant it is or family at least.  That is really handy, my moms friend always sends me pictures of plants and asks me what they are, she thought I just knew everything lol. I finally told her how to image ID using her phone.

On a similar note, you use the same functions to translate languages. We were at a private museum and the owner had a few German motorcycles with the side cars. My nephew asked the fella if he knew what the labels on it said, the guy laughed and said he had no idea. I remembered the translate function, took a picture and told the guy pretty much what they said. He was blown away, I think he was probably taking pictures of all his stuff after we left.
    Thanks for flagging. That’s really cool, and I had no idea. My wife used to purchase a yearly subscription to “PictureThis” for the same reason. 
  • lkapigian said:
    Saucisson Sec French Salami … from spare rib trimmings 

Wow! You know eating all that stuff is not good for your health.  So if you need to cut down on consumption, I'm here to help a friend. LOL.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,221
    Finally for any of you bird watchers or avian curios individuals.  Download the Merlin Bird ID app, its free and I think created by Perdue University.  When you are sitting in your back yard open the app, it will listen for birds, ID them and highlight the bird making the call so you know which is which. It is really amazing how accurate it is.
    I think it’s more along the lines of tracking migration.  If you spend enough time around chickens you know what they are saying! 

I think the rapper Project Pat said something similar in his rap song "Chickenhead" 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,507
    Reporting a wallaby sighting to the Indiana DNR. Not exactly how I envisioned my Thursday morning. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Looking at flights to Germany for a trip in January.
  • @JohnInCarolina

Should really get there in Oktober. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    Buddy just ran in the Berlin marathon. He said it was an amazing trip. Spent 8 days in Germany