Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,485
    @kl8ton - surprised with that delay.
    We moved to Australia in 1995 for a year and at that time if you wanted to use your cell phone, you had to be off the highway.  Plenty of landing zones but no nonsense.
    BTW random roadside alcohol stops and the limit then 0.05. 
    Many venues filled with cars the next AM and taxis made a responsible killing.
    I cannot tolerate anyone who thinks driving a car is an extension of an office space.  Once behind the wheel the control of that vehicle belongs to you.  Drive it and own it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Amen!
    Snellville, GA

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322
    Cicadas here are annual, always emerge before July 4, they have arrived.  Snacks for the Bluejays and our beagles.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Tonight I drove to the throbbing metropolis of Roy, UT, to their weekly Wednesday-night farmer's market!  
    There were a fair number of food vendors, including a guy making pizzas in not one, but two of the newfangled gas pizza ovens (didn't catch the brand).  A fair numbers of arts-n-crafts fools.  Some public service booths, and two bread booths.  One guy selling jarred pickles and salsas.  
    Finally, I got to the section booths booth selling actual Farmer's Produce!  (cue Heavenly Angels)  She was selling...  blueberries.  
    The upside?  Plenty of free parking, not crowded at all, and localized lightning storms on two sides (cool and breezy).  I must take it easy the rest of the evening after this experience.

And these are the effin' biggest blueberries I've ever eaten!  AB notwithstanding, northern UT grows fantastic peaches, but I didn't know we grew blueberries too, after all these years.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 601
    Still waiting on an official offer letter for my new role...received a verbal notice I was selected almost two weeks ago, then the hiring manager went on PTO for a week. Waiting for HR to figure their lives out now. 

The corporate world moves at a snail's pace.

Also finally got the couch delivered today that i've been waiting on for 5 months....annnd its dirty/broken. Refused delivery. Sales manager is about to get lit up.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2023
    kl8ton said:
    On Friday a new law goes into effect in Michigan. No more having a phone in your hand while driving. I guess we are the 26th state to do this. That's when I get most of my work done!

I would recommend you heed this new law and take it seriously. I live in GA and despite @Eggdicted_Dawgfan 's experience I got lit up by GA State Patrol in the early days of the hands free law. Had the phone to my ear on a call. $390 ticket and the trooper wrote it up such that it was the same as reckless driving, meaning 4 points on my license. I decided to fight it in court. On the court date the local DA had a room full of us. He called us up 4 at a time and reviewed our files individually. He looked at me and said "have you really not had a ticket since 1995?" Me..."yes sir". DA..."this trooper is out of control, I'm tossing this one, but if I see you in here in 2 weeks for the same violation I'll make you spend a night in jail" he chuckled. Me..."thank you sir".

I left the courthouse a free man with no fine and no points. Quickly purchased a hands free phone holder and been running hands free ever since. In GA you can use and touch your phone if it's in a holder, just not HOLD the phone.

Sorry for the long post...maybe a little help to someone?
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    ksmyrl said:
    kl8ton said:
    On Friday a new law goes into effect in Michigan. No more having a phone in your hand while driving. I guess we are the 26th state to do this. That's when I get most of my work done!

I would recommend you heed this new law and take it seriously. I live in GA and despite @Eggdicted_Dawgfan 's experience I got lit up by GA State Patrol in the early days of the hands free law. Had the phone to my ear on a call. $390 ticket and the trooper wrote it up such that it was the same as reckless driving, meaning 4 points on my license. I decided to fight it in court. On the court date the local DA had a room full of us. He called us up 4 at a time and reviewed our files individually. He looked at me and said "have you really not had a ticket since 1995?" Me..."yes sir". DA..."this trooper is out of control, I'm tossing this one, but if I see you in here in 2 weeks for the same violation I'll make you spend a night in jail" he chuckled. Me..."thank you sir".

I left the courthouse a free man with no fine and no points. Quickly purchased a hands free phone holder and been running hands free ever since. In GA you can use and touch your phone if it's in a holder, just not HOLD the phone.

the first year here they pulled everyone over for it, a few years later and you only see police officers with a phone to their ear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    My previous comment was a bit tongue in cheek.  With 8 kids being carted around and running our business-things can get hectic.  I am on the phone a little bit while driving.  Voice calls.  I do try dictating into the phone while driving but when I review the message after stopping, it rarely is correct.
    I have some earbud type things I will try out.

I want to honk at people that are texting while driving, but I am afraid they will be frightened and run into me.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,898
    edited June 2023
    ksmyrl said:
    kl8ton said:

ksmyrl I’m not an attorney but I believe they were using the scare tactic on you. The max fine in GA for first offense is $50 and 1 point on your license. 2nd offense is $100 and 2 points. Now, if you were driving recklessly while holding the phone to your ear then that could be a different story. That said, I do wish the laws and fines were more aligned with what you were told. That would likely deter more people from distracted driving and save a life along the way. 

Snellville, GA

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2023
    @kl8ton I took your post as a half joke.

@Eggdicted_Dawgfan I would normally agree but the DA was perplexed why the trooper wrote it up the way he did. That's why he threw it out. I later learned that trooper had written hundreds of the same types of tickets. I have a buddy who is a trooper, he's the one that convinced me it was total BS and to fight it. I was sitting at a stop light, dialed the number, put the phone to my ear and then...blue lights. It was totally effed up.

But for the record I love my RAM mount X grip phone holder. Knowing what I know now I'd use one even if it wasn't the law.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743
    ksmyrl said:
    kl8ton said:

I got pulled over the first day of the hands free law many many years ago here (pretty sure I still had a flip phone).  The officer was nice enough to give me the choice between a ticket and purchasing a Bluetooth handsfree speaker.  I headed to the nearest store and got my first bluetooth speaker.

If laws keep people from doing other than driving when in a car/truck, I am all for it.  All the hands free deals still require focus on other than driving. 
    I can tell every day when behind a car (two lane limited passing opportunities road) when the driver is phone engaged driving at least 10-15 mph below the speed limit with no traffic impediments. 
    Amazing that once the call concludes, the speed of advance is noticeable.  
    Old here and have a lawn so there's that but think about the momentum of that vehicle.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    ColtsFan said:
    Thanks Canada

Sorry ... my brisket cook got a bit out of hand ... should be under control in a few days!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    kl8ton said:
    Try $1000 fine and 6 demerit points in Ontario, Canada.
    You're better off speeding 93 mph in a 60 zone.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629
    edited June 2023
    DuckDogDr said:
    billt01 said:
    DuckDogDr said:
    Trying to install some HID headlights in the Tacoma .
    Had the driver side high beam burn out about 9 months ago and kept forgetting to replace.

have a question for the brain trust / need help

all of the lights work except for driver high beam (even new lights).. tried multiple lights and swapped around all ballasts…
    I put in an original factory bulb it works (and is repeatable test) I initially thought a bad connection and just got lucky with OE bulb , but then try and put in the different light nothing
    My vote is a grounding issue.  HID are very sensitive to grounding.  Regular bulb may still work, but HID won't.
    this..many of those ballasts have defects..or the cars computer  is rejecting an electrical signal..
    Would a different brand potentially be better or do I’m assuming I need to chase down and re-do the ground
    it has been my experience as well as the experience of others, your ground is/should be fine. If you have a newer car, the computer systems monitor the lights...I.E. "please check your right side driving light" message on your cars UI.  Some after market manufacturers account for this and have "intelligent" ballasts which will mask the needed electrical signals the car is looking for, many do not. If the car doesn't receive the necessary signal, "weird" things can happen such as what you are experiencing. Other things such as false positive error codes can also occour.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    You can run a jumper from the light to a ground to see if that’s your issue. Takes 2 seconds 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,493
    Working our second major storm in as many months. Apparently, we replaced broken poles form the tornado 2 months ago with subpar poles. The 90mph winds from the derecho shouldn't have broken them according to this member.

All the Karen's come out during these events.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,977
    catching a show

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    catching a show

Looks like a hundred or so lawn dart sets kinda evening. 😜
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    catching a show

Naaah, that's the touring company in Durham, NC not Manhattan - I think you can get a pair of tickets there by bartering a bushel of corn and three live chickens.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:
    catching a show

Naaah, that's the touring company in Durham, NC not Manhattan - I think you can get a pair of tickets there by bartering a bushel of corn and three live chickens.
    Too funny. Fake aristocrats? 🤣🤣🤣
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    HeavyG said:
    catching a show

More like some tobacco and boiled peanuts 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I was not sure what I was looking at so zoomed in. Zooming prompted more questions. 
  • lousubcap
    @SGH around how deep are you laying that pipe (couldn't resist) and what is the max depth capability of the rig?
    SHENZI sounds quite foreign to me... B)
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,977
    HeavyG said:
    catching a show

More like some tobacco and boiled peanuts 
    It was a great show. We’re very lucky to be able to see Broadway shows without Broadway ticket prices. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH around how deep are you laying that pipe (couldn't resist) and what is the max depth capability of the rig?
    SHENZI sounds quite foreign to me... B)
    The pipeline will lay at a depth of 3,700 feet. The ship is limited by the ROV’s capabilities which I’m told is around 15,000 feet depending on how they are setup.  
    As far as SHENZI being foreign, that is correct. It was originally owned by BHP, but sold to Woodside Energy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    A night view of the tower and deck cranes. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    @SGH thanks for above info.  You are gonna be positioned to buy two islands once this ride is complete. 
    Any off-shore work is physically challenging at a minimum.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Cap