Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options

@WeberWho

Neat story about your cousin. Takes years of work to get to that point, so it’s nice that it pays off for some. He must be quite accomplished. My wife, now a full-time working musician, obtained both her bachelor and master’s degrees in music on full scholarship as well. But as @Eoin points out, the issue for so many musicians, even those who are highly accomplished or hold degrees, is that they so often have difficulty finding work.

What’s the difference between a musician and a medium pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four. 

That's really neat that your wife went on full scholarship. I had no idea that was possible. Just shows you what I know.

It's a lot of work. His orchestra group tours the Midwest/Canada for shows throughout the school year and he also assistant teaches. He lost his Dad around the beginning of highschool and his band teachers made a huge impression on him during this time. Where they would sit and talk about life in general. More than just what was going on in class. His end goal is to become a teacher. His passion is teaching and helping others. I think it would be a perfect fit for him. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:
    Did you play jazz when you were more musically active, @botch? I don’t recall that genre being listed in your repertoire, but my memory only takes me so far. 
    Yes, in Jr High/High School/College; played in the stage/jazz bands, I was sorta proud of being the top-seated trombonist at ISU who wasn't a music major.  

I know absolutely nothing about music but my cousin (From Waconia) plays the trumpet. He was given a full ride (I think) or very close to a full ride to a private college school just outside Fargo. I had no idea that was even possible. Just shows you I know nothing about music or the education that goes with it. 
    Tough business to make a living at, you definitely need some good fortune. My father retired from playing a long time ago, he was a top level orchestral trumpet player, grew up playing cornet in the Salvation Army band from a very young age.

Very cool and what a great story!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    What’s the difference between a musician and a medium pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four. 
    This.
  • Eoin
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:
    Did you play jazz when you were more musically active, @botch? I don’t recall that genre being listed in your repertoire, but my memory only takes me so far. 
    Yes, in Jr High/High School/College; played in the stage/jazz bands, I was sorta proud of being the top-seated trombonist at ISU who wasn't a music major.  

I know absolutely nothing about music but my cousin (From Waconia) plays the trumpet. He was given a full ride (I think) or very close to a full ride to a private college school just outside Fargo. I had no idea that was even possible. Just shows you I know nothing about music or the education that goes with it. 
    Tough business to make a living at, you definitely need some good fortune. My father retired from playing a long time ago, he was a top level orchestral trumpet player, grew up playing cornet in the Salvation Army band from a very young age.

He was touring the US in 1964 when I was born, I have the telegram. Fathers being present at the birth, or even being at home, wasn't a thing back then.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:

He was touring the US in 1964 when I was born, I have the telegram. Fathers being present at the birth, or even being at home, wasn't a thing back then.
    Is that why it's mostly men that pine for the "good ol' days"?

Options
    BTW, we're the same age.
    Options
    BTW, we're the same age.

year of the dragon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    BTW, we're the same age.
    OK Boomer

:)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    BTW, we're the same age.
    OK Boomer

:)
    You insolent whippersnapper, you! :D

@Eoin - I still play trumpet in a regional pro orchestra and various other brass groups in the area I live.  It requires constant practice to keep ones "chops" in shape.  Your father must have had great chops to playin a top orchestra!

XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    4 is also the year of wood. being a dragon ive never known this. if i were doing a work bench, it beckons for a wood dragon

Wood Dragon

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,580
    Options
    BTW, we're the same age.

year of the dragon
    or a playgirl buck 😂

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I burned a dragon into my workbench the other day.  Might need a bigger dragon.
    Options
    @Eoin - I still play trumpet in a regional pro orchestra and various other brass groups in the area I live.  It requires constant practice to keep ones "chops" in shape.  Your father must have had great chops to playin a top orchestra!

@Bellavista52
    If you're into brass bands, you may know of my dad, Howard Snell. When he finished playing he started conducting bands and composing / arranging band music.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:

Is that why it's mostly men that pine for the "good ol' days"?

Hands off parenting was great for dads, less so for their wives.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    Eoin said:

@Bellavista52
    If you're into brass bands, you may know of my dad, Howard Snell. When he finished playing he started conducting bands and composing / arranging band music.
    Very cool!  He is on Spotify.  Gonna give it a spin later.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:

@Bellavista52
    Haha. He's extremely well known in 2 very niche groups of people - trumpet players and brass band players / fans.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

@Bellavista52
    Haha. He's extremely well known in 2 very niche groups of people - trumpet players and brass band players / fans.
    Neat. Listening now. The players are very accomplished. 

Afterwards I may throw on some Neil Youn…. Uh… nix that. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

@Bellavista52
    Neat. Listening now. The players are very accomplished. 

Afterwards I may throw on some Neil Youn…. Uh… nix that. 

Neil's star power has definitely dimmed.  I am sure he thought Spotify would at least pause before saying, "Ok, good bye".
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
     A good friend of mine plays trombone in the Zurich, Switzerland orchestra.  He was leaps and bounds better than everyone in high school.  Went on a full ride to Curtis.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,100
    Options
    If yes, cool and impressive linage you come from.  And maybe when you visit you could help get that shed built?   :)

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Eoin
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    If yes, cool and impressive linage you come from.  And maybe when you visit you could help get that shed built?   :)

Yes, that's him. None of the musicianship rubbed off on me.
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    @Eoin - I'm pretty sure I've played arrangements by him. Very impressive career!
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Getting my car washed. Not sure when I have ever had such a nasty car. Damn snow store a while back. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Just learned, if you leave an open bag of chips behind an airfryer, they will take on the flavor of what ever you air fried.  In this case, I have a bag of tostitos that taste like pizza pockets.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just learned, if you leave an open bag of chips behind an airfryer, they will take on the flavor of what ever you air fried.  In this case, I have a bag of tostitos that taste like pizza pockets.
    So you made... Doritos?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    @Eoin quite a talent and career right there.  Clearly on the very far right of the musically inclined Bell curve.
    @dbCooper thanks for tracking that link down.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Shaking my head at a phone conversation with the 5-letter shipper.  They were supposed to deliver a sweater for my daughter yesterday.  Went something like this:

Me:  I am calling about my package, your website is showing it transferred to the Springfield, MA post office for them to deliver.
    Them:  Yes, your local postal carrier will deliver it where you usually receive your mail.
    Me:  Springfield, MA is more than 300 miles from where I receive my mail.  In Maryland.
    Them:  Rambling about contract for FedEx Smart Post that doesn't address anything or even make sense.
    Me:  So the post office should get it from MA > MD?
    Them:   The post office should deliver your package where you receive your mail.
    Me:  Hmmm.
    Them: Thank you for your inquiry.

At this point, I'm thinking it may be 50-50 if I ever see this shipment, and it could easily be past sweater weather season.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,459
    Options
    Prepping myself for 3 hours of “little league tryouts”, or to reference an earlier post, goat roping. Never have I ever not wanted to go to something for my son so badly. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    @ColbyLang a sippy cup sounds like it is in order here.  Good luck to your son and you!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.