Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Charging the car at the “fast” charger. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    edited January 2022
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColbyLang a sippy cup sounds like it is in order here.  Good luck to your son and you!
    @lousubcap, I feel that a sippy cup would be frowned upon by both his mother and the league. Ranking 7 year olds for the draft. These guys need to remember that no one out there getting paid yet, this is for fun and playground bragging rights 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lousubcap said:
    @ColbyLang a sippy cup sounds like it is in order here.  Good luck to your son and you!
    @lousubcap, I feel that a sippy cup would be frowned upon by both his mother and the league. Ranking 7 year olds for the draft. These guys need to remember that no one out there getting paid yet, this is for fun and playground bragging rights 
    I coached football and softball.  All ranking and team placements were done over a pint in the "clubhouse".  League and parents didn't care, just not on the field.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Trying to explain to my wife why the kitchen needed to be 15' across.  It definitely did not sound as big as it feels.

Concrete tops? Looks awesome. Years of enjoyment ahead. Hopefully you stay put a while to enjoy yourselves. 😜
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Trying to explain to my wife why the kitchen needed to be 15' across.  It definitely did not sound as big as it feels.

Concrete tops? Looks awesome. Years of enjoyment ahead. Hopefully you stay put a while to enjoy yourselves. 😜
    Yup, concrete tops, but then tile on that.  I hope to hang around and enjoy it too.  This is a once in a lifetime build for me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lousubcap said:
    I coached football and softball.  All ranking and team placements were done over a pint in the "clubhouse".  League and parents didn't care, just not on the field.
    With 7yo we always side ranked the parents.  If you only draft based on the kid, you’ll get some bad parents and that makes the season longer than it has to be.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I have been in that arena but in two roles, the parent (soccer) and then while the parent the team queen (aka manager and that role was with a hi-octane travel team and a varsity high school team.) 
    I always told my sons (2 played) just play well and score enough to take the refs out of the game.  A bit of a challenge in the early years but they marginally bought in.  Not sure others.  
    Yes we over qualified parents and always having the superior player in our household made us instant experts.  
    BTW- for us fossils here- I did play soccer in my youth... some years before Pele made it to New York.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lousubcap said:
    Let’s break this down. 3 hours. 150-200 kids. Throwing, fielding, batting. A whopping 2 pitches per kid thrown. Offered his coach last season $100 just to pick him so we could leave
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    lousubcap said:

never had parents at these or most games. used to like the tryouts, remember hitting a few home runs at these by third grade. then the coaches fixed my swing and nothing =) take the kid that swings for the sky and make him a top pick, then teach him to hit grounders to second
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options

It’s your time to shine @Foghorn You can smash the dislike flag as there’s no PL this weekend, then it’s FA Cup 4th round next week.  Not sure how we’re going to make it through but let’s stay strong and hope for the best.

We can glance upon the Championship where we find that Stoke have a trip north to Huddersfield.  The Potters dreams have receded recently with form eluding them and a slip to 11th.  Their hosts tonight are the opposite and have snuck in to 6th.  Tough gig for @Eoin and the lads.  A win will keep the dream alive but I fear the Terriers tenacity will be too great; 2-1.

In other news, the transfer window is closing and so the deals are getting done. Newcastle’s attempt to hoover any available talent has met with mixed success. Hilariously their offer to loan Lingard from Man Utd was met with an eye-watering price tag, it’s dog eat dog in the big boys club and any chance to impede a competitor is fully embraced.  So far it’s journeymen and players from far afield who have probably not been briefed about what Newcastle is actually like nor the very real prospect of playing Barnsley and not Barcelona next season. 

Keep your arms inside the car at all times, shares can go up as well as down and always get the bill payers consent before calling.   Thank you. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options

Are you opening up a restaurant??? Don't let your wife see this response ... lol.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    Options

looks a little tight for a low and slow bbq hammock
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Just posted a link to a Henry Kissinger op-ed piece from 2014 about Ukraine in this OT thread.  A good read-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options

Are you opening up a restaurant??? Don't let your wife see this response ... lol.
    The advice I kept reading was:. You cannot have enough storage and you can never have enough counter space.  I took that advice to heart.  I hope 144 sq.ft of counter is enough.  Storage already has me a bit worried though.  One of the wife's requirements was she didn't want anything left out that she could see.  Being masonry, makes the spacing more difficult and you lose a lot of space with the 8" thick blocks.  I tried to maximize storage, and even put in a 40" wide set of doors on the back side for access to some dead area.

@fishlessman definitely hammock room under the porch 😁

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options

The advice I kept reading was:. You cannot have enough storage and you can never have enough counter space.  I took that advice to heart.  I hope 144 sq.ft of counter is enough.  Storage already has me a bit worried though.  One of the wife's requirements was she didn't want anything left out that she could see.  Being masonry, makes the spacing more difficult and you lose a lot of space with the 8" thick blocks.  I tried to maximize storage, and even put in a 40" wide set of doors on the back side for access to some dead area.

Was there a reason for using 8" blocks rather than 4"?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options

Feeling inadequate at this point  :|
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Eoin not that I am aware of.  I asked if they could do 4" block and they said 8" is what they recommend.  I left it at that.  Actual width of BBQ is 36" and counter is 39".  With all the rebar, concrete, and footing, my BBQ equipment should survive a direct strike.
  • fishlessman
    Options

any smaller and you would be tripping over the dogs
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    @Eoin not that I am aware of.  I asked if they could do 4" block and they said 8" is what they recommend.  I left it at that.  Actual width of BBQ is 36" and counter is 39".  With all the rebar, concrete, and footing, my BBQ equipment should survive a direct strike.
    Massive overkill, but you have a ready made nuclear bunker just in case!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    8 inch is the standard block size available would be my guess. ive seen very little 4 inch cinder block
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    Options

looks a little tight for a low and slow bbq hammock
    It wrinkles his suit when he lays in the hammock whilst egging. 😜
  • Eoin
    Options
    8 inch is the standard block size available would be my guess. ive seen very little 4 inch cinder block
    Very common here. Because we like brick houses, they are built with a block inner skin tied to a brick outer with an insulated cavity.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I see very little cinder block. Lots of concrete block. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I see very little cinder block. Lots of concrete block. 

our cinder blocks are made of concrete, not sure you can buy a true cinder block anymore
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Very common here. Because we like brick houses, they are built with a block inner skin tied to a brick outer with an insulated cavity.
    I built a public rest area that way but it also had brick on the inside side of the block and brick floors. Two blocks on both sides of each door and window had reinforcement bars embedded in the foundation to the roof course then the cavities filled with concrete. The roof was red iron framing covered with plywood and metal roofing. You could ride out a class 5 hurricane in the loos, no windows.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

It’s your time to shine @Foghorn You can smash the dislike flag as there’s no PL this weekend, then it’s FA Cup 4th round next week.  Not sure how we’re going to make it through but let’s stay strong and hope for the best.

We can glance upon the Championship where we find that Stoke have a trip north to Huddersfield.  The Potters dreams have receded recently with form eluding them and a slip to 11th.  Their hosts tonight are the opposite and have snuck in to 6th.  Tough gig for @Eoin and the lads.  A win will keep the dream alive but I fear the Terriers tenacity will be too great; 2-1.

In other news, the transfer window is closing and so the deals are getting done. Newcastle’s attempt to hoover any available talent has met with mixed success. Hilariously their offer to loan Lingard from Man Utd was met with an eye-watering price tag, it’s dog eat dog in the big boys club and any chance to impede a competitor is fully embraced.  So far it’s journeymen and players from far afield who have probably not been briefed about what Newcastle is actually like nor the very real prospect of playing Barnsley and not Barcelona next season. 

Keep your arms inside the car at all times, shares can go up as well as down and always get the bill payers consent before calling.   Thank you. 

Thanks @CPFC1905.  I'll be happy if the US can grab 7 of 9 available points during this international window.  It wasn't pretty, but we got 3 last night so we're off to a good start.  Avoiding the humiliation of not qualifying for the World Cup is a low bar, but one we did not clear in 2018.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I built a public rest area that way but it also had brick on the inside side of the block and brick floors. Two blocks on both sides of each door and window had reinforcement bars embedded in the foundation to the roof course then the cavities filled with concrete. The roof was red iron framing covered with plywood and metal roofing. You could ride out a class 5 hurricane in the loos, no windows.
    This is where they saying "built like a brick shithouse" comes from.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Eoin said:
    This is where they saying "built like a brick shithouse" comes from.
    In fact people with broke down cars did ride out Katrina in a rest area built to similar specifications. I didn’t build that one but I did renovate it 3 times.