Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night and the EggHead Forum option of the forum choices is eerie quiet- I need to get a life!

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,446
    Options
    wonder if we will have as exciting a race as the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix?
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,025
    Options
    My night 

Holy sh!t that’s a car payment…on a really nice car. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Canadian walking her dog finds more than 40 rotisserie chickens in the woods”

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,308
    Options

Were they from Costco?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,829
    Options
    @fishlessman get stuck in fish camp? I enjoy reading his posts and he’s been quiet this week.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TheFishWhisperer
    Options
    @fishlessman get stuck in fish camp? I enjoy reading his posts and he’s been quiet this week.
    I’ve missed translating his posts into English.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Were they from Costco?
    That crossed my mind too. But Yukon doesn’t have any Costcos. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    “Canadian walking her dog finds more than 40 rotisserie chickens in the woods”

Were they from Costco?
    That crossed my mind too. But Yukon doesn’t have any Costcos. 
    No Costcos!!!  I would be voting Ranj Pillai out of office!
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,714
    Options
    bump

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Finally learned where cats came from.  The Cat Tree.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,887
    Options
    Catching up on required reading, purging email and other things that you enjoy escaping from for a few days.  Lots of articles about the NYC 12!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A few restaurant related photos. 

Mop drying in action…..

• lousubcap
    Options
    Slow Friday on the road-one day business trip.  Out today return Saturday.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Slow Friday here too, you didn't miss much cap.
    canuckland
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,377
    Options
    So I have decided that I don't need a security system.  I have an elderly couple that live across the street from us that feel the need to come over whenever they want to.  Occasionally knocking and walking in.  I have had to now lock the door when I walk in.  She is in fact here currently chatting with my wife who is too polite to give her a hint that its time to go home.  I sound like a get off my lawn kind of guy but sheesh.  It's 10 o'clock.  Guess I should just pour myself another tasty adult beverage.  Sorry.  Rant is over.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    So I have decided that I don't need a security system.  I have an elderly couple that live across the street from us that feel the need to come over whenever they want to.  Occasionally knocking and walking in.  I have had to now lock the door when I walk in.  She is in fact here currently chatting with my wife who is too polite to give her a hint that it’s time to go home.  I sound like a get off my lawn kind of guy but sheesh.  It's 10 o'clock.  Guess I should just pour myself another tasty adult beverage.  Sorry.  Rant is over.  
    Had a neighbor like that once.  Anytime I was outside he would walk over and chat it up for hours.  He started walking around into the backyard if he didn’t see me and just chill till I came out.  Last straw was when my little jack jumped on him and he kicked her.  We had words and he never came over again.  I may have threatened him.  I eventually moved.
  • lousubcap
    edited June 14
    Options
    Friday and National Bourbon Day-the flight plan has been approved.  LEO on the menu-escape velocity TBD.
    Happy NBD.  🥃
  • lousubcap
    Options
    It is Friday night thus the bump.  Nothing of interest happening here-no surprise.  
    But some great soccer/football during the day with the UEFA 2024 tournament in full swing.  
    All matches quite competitive.  
    Give the matches a look, Fox is the lead network.  
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 734
    Options
    On call. Hopefully it's eerie quiet 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Always remember there are only three kinds of women in the world-swallowers, spitters... and those that don't.  Game on Friday night.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,308
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Always remember there are only three kinds of women in the world-swallowers, spitters... and those that don't.  Game on Friday night.  
    She seems to be more of a “prime the pump” woman, if you catch my drift…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,025
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    She seems to be more of a “prime the pump” woman, if you catch my drift…
    I am a happily married man but she is going to make someone very happy…until she doesn't 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,178
    Options

lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap - For some reason one of your three bring back memories of cars with velour interiors.  That is something the youngsters of today don't have to worry about.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    So I have decided that I don't need a security system.  I have an elderly couple that live across the street from us that feel the need to come over whenever they want to.  Occasionally knocking and walking in.  I have had to now lock the door when I walk in.  She is in fact here currently chatting with my wife who is too polite to give her a hint that it’s time to go home.  I sound like a get off my lawn kind of guy but sheesh.  It's 10 o'clock.  Guess I should just pour myself another tasty adult beverage.  Sorry.  Rant is over.  
    I feel your pain. There is a balance to be had between being friendly with neighbours and feeling like you can’t get a moment to yourself. 

We are very friendly with all of our neighbours, many of whom are past retirement and have A LOT more time than we do. It can be hard to accomplish things in the front yard because of all the visits and chatter, and I sometimes time my outdoor chores for when the neighbourhood is quiet just so that I can be more efficient. A few weeks back, I used my lunch hour to seal the driveway and a neighbour, having spotted me outside at the front end of this task, came out and talked to me the whole time, until I told him I had a video meeting to attend. If I cut the front lawn, it is not uncommon to have to stop regularly to chat with various neighbours walking by. Tasks that should take 45 minutes can double or triple in duration, and I have very little time as it is. 

Also, given my children’s ages and the abundance of other kids and their parents in the neighbourhood, the related visits can also be overwhelming. We sometimes get as many as five or six households (multiple members from each) arriving at our door unannounced in a single evening. 

I am not someone who clamours for socializing, so this aspect alone can be tough. 

The lesson we have learned over time is that boundaries are important, and that every time you say “yes” to someone else, you say “no” to yourself, at great expense. The important thing is to be kind with others, but to set parameters that respect your lifestyle and engage with them on terms that suit you. My wife is admittedly better than me at this, as she is generally less empathic and better about seeking to fulfill her own needs (I mean this positively).

We are now better about turning away unannounced visitors at the door, instead making a point of reaching out to them to arrange something in advance under circumstances that suit us. Over time, it has changed the nature of these relationships in ways that have greatly benefited us. Really a conditioning of sorts that can pay dividends. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,370
    edited June 22
    Options
     I have seen some nasty stuff between neighbors who were previously close friends. I have made it a point to keep my friends and neighbors separate and it makes life a lot easier. I don’t know anyone who lives on my street other than my next door neighbor. I would blow a gasket if half a dozen people showed up at our house unannounced. Heck, it would blow a gasket if one person showed up unannounced. Walking in my house unannounced? I’d be hurting someone’s feelings at best… 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
     I have seen some nasty stuff between neighbors who were previously close friends. I have made it a point to keep my friends and neighbors separate and it makes life a lot easier. I don’t know anyone who lives on my street other than my next door neighbor. I would blow a gasket if half a dozen people showed up at our house unannounced. Heck, it would blow a gasket if one person showed up unannounced. Walking in my house unannounced? I’d be hurting someone’s feelings at best… 

Agree that walking into someone’s home is not okay. No question. I’d have been livid. 

But there are many benefits to knowing one’s neighbours. I routinely lend out tools and even loaned a neighbour a car for a week last summer while theirs was in the shop. Shared my lawn maintenance schedule with one last week. Have similarly had neighbours host me in foreign destinations and have driven their fun rides. Was once in an emergency bind and a neighbour met my daughter at the bus stop and took her home, as she was too young not to be greeted by a guardian. We’ve watched each other’s homes during travel, and have shared meals and drinks together. Last week, I was offered a seat at a two different sporting events from two different neighbours (only one that I attended) and went for dinner and a swim at another’s with my whole family. 

There are benefits to community - the exact premise of forums such as this one. Pros and cons, for sure. But I’m not sure I’d want to live in a world so cold that we all kept our heads down and had no interaction whatsoever. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Friday Night Live
    canuckland
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,140
    Options
    Another epic wine tasting 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------