Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Spaghetti with fermented tomatoes and onions.  These were fermented with Carolina Reapers and definitely add a nice kick.

I really want this. Looks and sounds absolutely killer. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,179
    Options
    caliking said:
    Barbacoa in there somewhere. Beef cheeks rubbed with a mix of pequin and guajillo chiles, cinnamon, cloves, oregano,  pepper, etc. Smoked for 2ish hours. SV overnight. Then sort of braised with onions, bell peppers, garlic, wine. Most definitely worth doing again. 

My goodness!  I'll trade!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,571
    Options
    caliking said:
    Barbacoa in there somewhere. Beef cheeks rubbed with a mix of pequin and guajillo chiles, cinnamon, cloves, oregano,  pepper, etc. Smoked for 2ish hours. SV overnight. Then sort of braised with onions, bell peppers, garlic, wine. Most definitely worth doing again. 

Drool!
    So much going on... GG as platesetter? Always wanted to try pre SV smoke, I recall @Skiddymarker who's big with that, miss him. I also like to use extra grid for the protein, great for rotation if needed, and retrieval. 
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Drool!
    So much going on... GG as platesetter? Always wanted to try pre SV smoke, I recall @Skiddymarker who's big with that, miss him. I also like to use extra grid for the protein, great for rotation if needed, and retrieval. 
     I leave the GrillGrates in more out of laziness than anything else :) But, yes it works well as a heat deflector. I figure that leaving it in gives me a ready spot for searing, if needed. And, yep the little rack comes in handy. 

This may be the first time I smoked the protein, then SV'ed. It was a win! Was a bit worried that the smoke was too heavy, but it mellowed out nicely after the overnight SV, then several hours in the fridge. Pretty easy cook, as its sort of split up. Will definitely do this again.

• Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking , embarrassed to ask if it was cold or hot smoked?
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Going to try a twist on that recipe for French onion pasta that is making the rounds these days.  The twist is that I'm going to add some smoked kielbasa.  After all, everything tastes better with smoked kielbasa, does it not?  

I'll try to snap a few pics if it comes out halfway decent, or even if it doesn't. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking , embarrassed to ask if it was cold or hot smoked?
    Hot. 275F x 2ish hrs. 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I definitely gotta try a pre SV smoke! Still trying to find a source for beef cheeks where i'm at. @WeberWho any ideas?

Doing a few racks of spares today. Honey hog for the rub. Pecan wood for the smoke.

• Canugghead
    Options

French onion pasta with smoked kielbasa.
    Thinking of trying this viral dish, saw a couple of recipes that are sans cream and easy on cheese that I like. Lan Lam's onion caramelisation technique should come in handy. 
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,476
    Options

Looks and sounds great.  Now time for the review...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Thinking of trying this viral dish, saw a couple of recipes that are sans cream and easy on cheese that I like. Lan Lam's onion caramelisation technique should come in handy. 
    Yep.  I used the recipe the Washington Post put up.  No cream.  Just onions, stock, some port wine, and Gruyere.  Very easy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Looks and sounds great.  Now time for the review...
    I recommend it.  It’s really pretty easy to make and the flavor is great.  The kielbasa added a lot. I think otherwise the dish would be a little boring.  

Here’s the recipe I followed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/02/17/french-onion-pasta-recipe-tiktok/#recipe

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @frostyegg

Looks like a nice finish.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

Not gonna lie, those look pretty killer, well done.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,671
    Options
    ^^^Indeed they do^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bbracey21
    Options
    What are you chef-ing “this morning” edition?
    Waiting for the large to set in for this 11# brisket. 4 AM came real early this morning. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mehsrea said:
    Sous vide boneless ribeye. Seared at 600 on the Egg. Delicious.
    That is glorious!  What time and temp did you go with on the SV?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,476
    Options
    @mehsrea - That is getting it done right there, from the $$ to the crust.  Way to bring it home. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mehsrea
    Options
    I did 147 because I’m also doing some ribs. Steak went into SV frozen (with seasoning in the bag) so I gave it about 2 hours or so. Ribs are still going.

@JohnInCarolina you and I have similar beer tastes. I enjoyed an Other Half DDH double mosaic, as well as my beloved Troeg’s Nugget Nectar. What’s good with you lately?
  • mehsrea
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @mehsrea - That is getting it done right there, from the $$ to the crust.  Way to bring it home.  
    Thank you!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mehsrea said:
    I did 147 because I’m also doing some ribs. Steak went into SV frozen (with seasoning in the bag) so I gave it about 2 hours or so. Ribs are still going.

@JohnInCarolina you and I have similar beer tastes. I enjoyed an Other Half DDH double mosaic, as well as my beloved Troeg’s Nugget Nectar. What’s good with you lately?
    Whoa that's a lot higher than I would have guessed for a temp.  Maybe with it being frozen it didn't quite get to much more than 130F before you seared, even after a couple of hours in the bath.

I need to re-stock my Other Half supply.  They're pretty hard to beat in my experience.  Troeg's makes great beer, I pretty much love all of their stuff.  
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 372
    Options
    Family day here in canada so had a few people over.