Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    That looks well beyond good! Dang-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    update - these are good!

Goddaamn... that looks delicious

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan- I have had a few cocktails but I fail to sort out the time/temp in the below:
    "Put it on last night toward the end of the bama game. 10ish? It wouldn’t fit in the egg so I put a brick under it. After about 2 hours I removed the brick and shoehorned it in. Protected the edges with foil. Egg was stable at 270°. Went to bed, got up at 9. Temp had climbed to 320° Suddenly at around 515am. Brisket was probing like melted butter. Zero resistance. Let it sit and cool down to about 175° or so. Then wrapped in foil and put in a 155° oven for about 5-6 hours. When I cut it I could tell it was way wrong."
     I read at 9 assuming am and then "suddenly at 5:15 "  it was finished. If using a controller-no alarms?  Short assessment-overcooked as you surmised.  
    A cool down to stop the carry-over is a given before the FTC. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - You have clearly mastered the Sous vide.  That is a great cook, $$ shot and way too healthy sides.  A true banquet.  
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan that is a bummer, man.  Sounds like you’ve got a good plan for next time. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @lousubcap sorry I should have added AM/PM to that. What I was trying to say is I put it on around 10ish PM last night. Checked it 9am, took off immediately. The 530(am) came into play when I was trying to say the temp spiked to 320°. I was able to look back on the temp of the egg. I had a little Weber igrill temp probe in the thermometer hole but my thought was just in case the temp went too low or the fire went out I would at least be able to know when it went out and if the meat was still safe. No alarms high or low, my confidence was pretty high after reviewing your notes. Next time I’ll break out all the tricks. Starting with a better trim job. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan that is a bummer, man.  Sounds like you’ve got a good plan for next time. 
    Thanks man. Lessons learned. The good news is the next one will be better. 
    Snellville, GA

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, @Eggdicted_Dawgfan. I'm sure you'll definitely nail the next one.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan appreciate the front up assessment and feedback. Every cook is a learning experience but not even chili salvageable?  You are too hard on yourself. 
    Hopefully you snagged a few bits off the point as that end of a packer can handle even my finest hose jobs.  
    Until the next one-
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    It was definitely a learning experience. A fun one too. Just not rewarding. I did have some of the point but it was so stringy and tender it wouldn’t cut without just coming apart. Not sure how to describe it but it was not tasty. I didn’t even salvage it for chili.

The shameful end result-

Snellville, GA

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Cleaned the grill grate and cooked a pork loin. Nothing worth a pic.
  • caliking
    Options
    Nice @Canugghead!! 

Quite the spread, but you know the biryani caught my eye. Those taters are as good as the rest of it.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - You have clearly mastered the Sous vide.  That is a great cook, $$ shot and way too healthy sides.  A true banquet.  
    Thanks Cap! I am the master of nothing. But I do enjoy the wide berth the SV will give you when dining times can be elusive. Relative to the modest investment, I am quite convinced that there is great value in having an SV on hand. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Burgers

Nice. I made loco moco's tonight but next time I think I'll go with a double patty with cheese.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    @WeberWho I like your mates, mate

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    Options
    Been working on my Chicago style deep dish game lately. Tonight sausage and pepperoni. 

As an erstwhile Chicagoan, I wish I could like this post more than once.