Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thai basil chicken from a couple of nights ago. Super quick… maybe 15 mins all in. Worth adding to the weeknight rotation. 

Love Thai basil. Non stop harvest all summer here. Experimented with vac seal as is and freeze. Opened a pack to sample and pleasantly surprised, it’s almost as good as fresh flavour wise.

caliking said:
    Thai basil chicken from a couple of nights ago. Super quick… maybe 15 mins all in. Worth adding to the weeknight rotation. 

Love Thai basil. Non stop harvest all summer here. Experimented with vac seal as is and freeze. Opened a pack to sample and pleasantly surprised, it’s almost as good as fresh flavour wise.
    Does it turn black like in ziplock frozen.  The black doesn't affect flavor but needs to be used in darker sause or it does not look right
    Chamber sealed and frozen a week ago. So far hasn't turned black yet, time will tell?

On countertop...

Backlit...

ill try that with the sweat basil this weekend, my basil plant looks like a giant shrub
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    caliking said:

caliking said:

Does it turn black like in ziplock frozen.  The black doesn't affect flavor but needs to be used in darker sause or it does not look right
    Chamber sealed and frozen a week ago. So far hasn't turned black yet, time will tell?

On countertop...

Backlit...

ill try that with the sweat basil this weekend, my basil plant looks like a giant shrub
    Let us know how it turns out, sweet basil is more fragile.
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    caliking said:

caliking said:

On countertop...

Backlit...

We have vac pac’d sweet and Thai Basil for the last 3yrs. From our experience it stays green until you open it then goes dark.  Flavors are still fresh but the leaves themselves are a bit limp after thawing.  Works great for sauces but not visually appealing for a dish like Thai Basil Chicken.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    chili for the weekend

starter kit of various dried chilis simmered in guinness

bowl of red

with crema

then some chili mac

Looks delicious.  I would like to try that chili, the chili with crema, and the chili mac.   As a sidebar, the lawn in the background does not appear to align with what I know about you.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Flank steak tacos.  The shells had a "Best used by" date of April, 2012.   :|

Think I'll swing by the market this afternoon before heating up any leftovers.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    chili for the weekend

starter kit of various dried chilis simmered in guinness

bowl of red

with crema

then some chili mac

Looks delicious.  I would like to try that chili, the chili with crema, and the chili mac.   As a sidebar, the lawn in the background does not appear to align with what I know about you.

thats my camps lawn, the house lawn is just the way you would imagine it......i take that back, no one could imagine it, the propane guy breaks his way to the tanks and cuts the hedges back to get there after telling the office that he wont deliver. with todays prices he is told to deliver
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations -  I just ate and now I'm hungry again. You have been putting up some great food pictures lately. Check your messages.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Go big or go home right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    That's one heck of a meal Master C
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @MasterC - That is a killer cook and banquet right there.  That $$ shot has my kind of finish-nailed it.  (Every picture tells a story don't it...Rod Stewart).  
    Great skill set right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Thanks for the props 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    It has been a few years since I posted up my thoughts regarding the $$$$ shot and we have many new members-Here's a link to a throwback thread-

Does the Money ($$$$) shot tell the story of the cook?  
    Every picture tells a story...
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Dinner for one, that could feed two, at the lake brought to you from the minimax.
    Twenty-four once porterhouse. Bacon wrapped asparagus,for those that think I need green on the plate, and brown sugar bourbon sweet potato mash. 
    Sah-weet!!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yessir!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Dinner for one, that could feed two, at the lake brought to you from the minimax.
    Twenty-four once porterhouse. Bacon wrapped asparagus,for those that think I need green on the plate, and brown sugar bourbon sweet potato mash. 

Enjoy 
    And forget those "need green on the plate" people. This counts as a salad. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @paqman

You are one righteous dude.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Toasted bagel sandwich from a day or two back. Featuring salami, sharp cheddar, mayo, Dijon, avocado, dressed spinach and pickles. Served with homemade chunky ketchup.

I was with you on this right up until the ketchup.  I’m sure it’s great ketchup, just seems weird to me paired with that sandwich.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Moved to OT
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @johnincarolina

Not really a traditional ketchup. In truth, more of a relish or chutney by definition, I suspect. Great recipe. https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/4398-homemade-chunky-ketchup-the-best