Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options

My wife's version of shipt shopping. A pallet of dry goods delivered. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Got a new dress last night, just put it on between meetings and I'm NOT going to change.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,784
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I picked up this smoker a few months back for a buddy but he ended up buying a gasser instead. The biggest issue with these are the door lid/switches. The switches shut the fan off anytime a door is opened. The switches go bad, they're back ordered, and just a pain in the arse. (The fan won't engage when the switch goes bad) So I ended up bypassing the switches. The wires in the pic were just temporary. I ended up soldering the wires together to make it permanent bypass and used some black shrink tubing to make it look factory. A thoughtful idea from the manufacturer with the switches but a terrible execution. The fan will stay on when a door is opened which will be just fine. I'd rather have a fan stay on and work rather than chasing down bad switches and not work. 

I'm looking forward to trying out this little smoker. Once it passes the smoke/food test it will hit the classifieds. 

Great find, would never buy one new, but if it fell in my hands 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,041
    edited August 2022
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    I picked up this smoker a few months back for a buddy but he ended up buying a gasser instead. The biggest issue with these are the door lid/switches. The switches shut the fan off anytime a door is opened. The switches go bad, they're back ordered, and just a pain in the arse. (The fan won't engage when the switch goes bad) So I ended up bypassing the switches. The wires in the pic were just temporary. I ended up soldering the wires together to make it permanent bypass and used some black shrink tubing to make it look factory. A thoughtful idea from the manufacturer with the switches but a terrible execution. The fan will stay on when a door is opened which will be just fine. I'd rather have a fan stay on and work rather than chasing down bad switches and not work. 

I'm looking forward to trying out this little smoker. Once it passes the smoke/food test it will hit the classifieds. 

Great find, would never buy one new, but if it fell in my hands 
    My buddy text me like a week prior to me picking this smoker up asking my thoughts were on 3 different pellet smokers . So I did the right thing and said he should look into a gravity feed smoker. I saw this pop up on Marketplace for $100. So I grabbed it right away thinking my buddy would want it. He's going to stick with his gasser. (I did buy and clean up an old Weber Smokey Mountain for him. So he does have something besides his gasser.) I probably have 3-4 hours into cleaning it up. It was used hard and not cleaned up. So some sanding, priming, and painting were needed in some areas. She cleaned up pretty nice. It should be a nice basic gravity feed smoker for someone who's getting into bbq. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    Options
    WeberWho said:

You could install a manual switch that the operator turns on & off at will.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    edited August 2022
    Options
    does the temp spike when it gets opened, probably doesnt matter with one of these
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2022
    Options
    does the temp spike when it gets opened, probably doesnt matter with one of these
    Not at all on the Gravity Feed, recovery is very quick .....really the only reason I use a Flame Boss on mine is the sheer volume 6.16 feet tall 4.75 feet wide 2.83 feet deep 
    takes a bit to warm up on a cold day , uses most of the fuel @ that point, very stingy once it is up and running, my chute holds around 26 pounds of charcoal  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought one of those new on clearance for $199.  I have used them previously and I fixed one (new fan).

I think it’s ok to bypass the lid switches.  Just don’t leave the lid open.
    Options
    I bought one of those new on clearance for $199.  I have used them previously and I fixed one (new fan).

I think it’s ok to bypass the lid switches.  Just don’t leave the lid open.
    is that was at Brisket Camp?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Very cool score. This got the highest rating on Amazing Ribs when it came out  and then they had to retract it due to exactly what you are talking about. They found out the build quality was terrible from using it a few months after the review. It seems if you can bypass the flaws, it is an excellent cooker. It appears you have done that. Well played! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Very cool score. This got the highest rating on Amazing Ribs when it came out  and then they had to retract it due to exactly what you are talking about. They found out the build quality was terrible from using it a few months after the review. It seems if you can bypass the flaws, it is an excellent cooker. It appears you have done that. Well played! 
    The firebox material is iffy, folks sell aftermarket liners on FB. Apparently it's also a fuel hog. Local Wally world has been trying to clear the smallest 850 at $499 all summer, reg $698. Have not noticed a single one sold yet.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    WeberWho said:

The firebox material is iffy, folks sell aftermarket liners on FB. Apparently it's also a fuel hog. Local Wally world has been trying to clear the smallest 850 at $499 all summer, reg $698. Have not noticed a single one sold yet.
    That makes sense. I think AR even said the firebox itself could be a fire hazard as currently constructed in their retraction. They still loved the way it cooked though lol 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

You could install a manual switch that the operator turns on & off at will.
    That would be a good idea of it were to stick around. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I don't think it will matter too much with something this small. 

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    WeberWho said:

That makes sense. I think AR even said the firebox itself could be a fire hazard as currently constructed in their retraction. They still loved the way it cooked though lol 
    I think the cute on the stumps is close to 1/2 " thick 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Definitely a beginner smoker. Not a forever smoker given the price and materials. 

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    You could put any ole switch on there, just rivet some tabs on the exterior 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Pretending to work. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    Pretending to work. 
    That's funny.  Sometimes I pretend to have a job ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    Options
    The heating element failed on one of our vintage breadmakers. Using the same approach I used to fix the Instapot … dismantled, touched up several solder joints that looked suspect, voila!
    I know I've mentioned it on here before but I used to be in IT. There used to be HP print server boxes.... They would fail. 30 minutes of the circuit board being in a 350 degree oven... Good as new
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The heating element failed on one of our vintage breadmakers. Using the same approach I used to fix the Instapot … dismantled, touched up several solder joints that looked suspect, voila!
    Can’t find my soldering iron, which I’ve wanted to use to push a few dents out of my acoustic guitars. 

I want to order a replacement, but I’m also too pragmatic to do so without having confirmed I’ve lost the original with absolute certainty. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Pretending to work. 
    That's funny.  Sometimes I pretend to have a job ;)
    That reminds me (as does any mundane life event) of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was getting fired. 

Kramer says something like fine I don't even really work here and now says that's what makes this so difficult. Love that show.
    Grand Rapids MI