Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,802
    Options
    Bought a new thermometer. 

A pretty nice rig for the money.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,802
    Options
    New barn boots. New overalls should arrive tomorrow 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,607
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,640
    Options
    Welcome ww in NC ?
    canuckland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Taping so I can start painting trim in SWMBO Jr’s room.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,500
    Options
    Awaiting the brown truck to return a rifle from the manufacturer. Before 7pm today allegedly……
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,381
    Options
    Drinking beer, watching college football and drafting a fantasy football team. Fall is here (even though it’s 110). 
    Las Vegas, NV

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,424
    edited August 2022
    Options
    It’s alive!  Getting the pH and Alkalinity right so it can get some use tonight. 

Very nice. Where’d you buy? We’ve been tempted to do the same. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    It’s alive!  Getting the pH and Alkalinity right so it can get some use tonight. 

Very nice. Where’d you buy? We’ve been tempted to do the same. 
    We got it from a big regional store called The Great Escape. I was a little leary getting it from a “big box” store but they specialize in spa’s and pools. The biggest thing was they have their own service techs and don’t use a third party company if you have any i issues . 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Ranch clean up day. The guy we bought it from must have owned stock in a T-Post and wire fence business because they were everywhere. Most of them no longer protecting anything but ragweed these days. This is one of 3 loads I took to the recycler. Was total asswhip of a job but glad to have it done. Been on my list for a while. 

story of my life.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Ranch clean up day. The guy we bought it from must have owned stock in a T-Post and wire fence business because they were everywhere. Most of them no longer protecting anything but ragweed these days. This is one of 3 loads I took to the recycler. Was total asswhip of a job but glad to have it done. Been on my list for a while. 
    You got a t post puller? One of the best purchases I made when we had property.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,424
    edited August 2022
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    The first time firing up the little smoker since eliminating the lid switches. So I dump the bag of Royal Oak down the chute and I hear a thud.

The second channellock I've had come in a bag of Royal Oak. I figured the first channellock was mine and somehow found it's way into my BGE. I like new tools but just within the last few days I asked myself why I had so many channellocks in my tool box? I guess I need a 6th. If anyone needs new/used tools Royal Oak is your charcoal....
    Kinda like a Cracker Jack prize. I’ve always quite liked Channellocks. Better than rocks!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,993
    edited August 2022
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I do but the Rock bucket on the Bobcat makes a great post puller. He must have driven these in with a tractor bucket or something. It’s like they are in cement. Doing it with the puller was brutal. Once I got the rock bucket trick figured out, it went much faster. Cutting all the posts off the wire and rolling/stomping the wire down was its own little treat ha ha. 

If you position the bucket to where the bumps on the t-post are 90 degrees to the machine (facing left or right when looking from the cab) you can slide the post into the grooves on the bucket and pop them out. This saved me hours of back-breaking work. Plus it’s 90 outside and the bobcat has AC lol. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,439
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I do but the Rock bucket in the Bobcat makes a great post puller. He must have driven these in with a tractor bucket or something. It’s like they are in cement. Doing it with the puller was brutal. Once I got the rock bucket trick figured out, it went much faster. Cutting all the posts off the wire and rolling/stomping the wire down was its own little treat ha ha. 

If you position the bucket to where the bumps on the t-post are 90 degrees to the machine (facing left or right when looking from the cab) you can slide the post into the grooves on the bucket and pop them out. This saved me hours of back-breaking work. Plus it’s 90 outside and the bobcat has AC lol. 

Oh that's way more fun!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I do but the Rock bucket on the Bobcat makes a great post puller. He must have driven these in with a tractor bucket or something. It’s like they are in cement. Doing it with the puller was brutal. Once I got the rock bucket trick figured out, it went much faster. Cutting all the posts off the wire and rolling/stomping the wire down was its own little treat ha ha. 

Or you can redneck engineer. I had a few that were quite deep on the property when we took possession. A car jack and some Vise grips and they were out. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,640
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    The first time firing up the little smoker since eliminating the lid switches. So I dump the bag of Royal Oak down the chute and I hear a thud.

The second channellock I've had come in a bag of Royal Oak. I figured the first channellock was mine and somehow found it's way into my BGE. I like new tools but just within the last few days I asked myself why I had so many channellocks in my tool box? I guess I need a 6th. If anyone needs new/used tools Royal Oak is your charcoal....
    You got me worried, I thought the firebox lost its bottom. 
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,057
    Options
    WeberWho said:

You got me worried, I thought the firebox lost its bottom. 
    Hahaha. I know these aren't made with the highest materials but if you make it a dedicated smoker it should last awhile. I know they say you can use it at 700 degrees but you're just asking for trouble at that point. It should be just fine at lower temps. (Besides maybe the switches) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,752
    Options
    Wow, what a memorable golf trip that must be, @pgprescott. Surprised how green everything looks considering the lack of rain in Ireland this summer.
    Stillwater, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Or you can redneck engineer. I had a few that were quite deep on the property when we took possession. A car jack and some Vise grips and they were out. 
    There were probably 100 of them, all wrapped in barbed wire and wire fence. I would be out there for a month if I had to do it with a car Jack and vice grips ha ha 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,381
    Options
    kl8ton said:

There were probably 100 of them, all wrapped in barbed wire and wire fence. I would be out there for a month if I had to do it with a car Jack and vice grips ha ha 
    I do not envy that job. I grew up on a farm, fixing fence and moving water lines are probably the reason I live in a city now. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Wimp.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Wimp.
    100% ha ha 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,993
    edited August 2022
    Options
    kl8ton said:

I do not envy that job. I grew up on a farm, fixing fence and moving water lines are probably the reason I live in a city now. 
    Dont get me started on the waterlines. Dude laid down a web of waterlines (some functional, some not just to keep it interesting) that would make an NYC subway map look down right simple (to the uninitiated like me). We tore a bunch of them up building a road and tearing out pens and it took forever to figure out what went where. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,607
    Options
    @pgprescott - Better to be lucky than good any day, right there.  What a bucket list trip.  Definitely "old school" with the spikes note.  Par any holes??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.