Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grocery shortages where you live?

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
I tend to stock my cupboards on Black Friday and Saturday, when all the shoppers are doing the xmas sales and the grocery stores arre empty and everything is on sale; then I stay away from grocery stores until after NY's.  
Today I made a trip to the Commissary.  I didn't see anything amiss in the produce section.  Next stop was the fresh meats, and OMGWTFBBQ, it was over half-empty!  There was enough beef, but the pork was badly depleted and only 3 packages of chicken wings left.  My brand of bacon, regular Oscar Mayer, was completely out.  There were just a few cartons of Large eggs, I got one.  At the end of the first aisle saw a printed sign saying they were experiencing shipping issues because of the storms, stand by; I guess these new storm supply chain issues flew right past me.  Coffee & tea were okay, the Campbell's soup racks were maybe 25% full, etc etc.  A lot of the items on my shopping list were gone.
I stopped at Harmon's Grocery on the way home, wanted to try a broccoli rab/italian sausage recipe.  That store was getting thin too, found the sausage and cheese but had to substitute kale for the broccoli rab (which isn't common around here).  
Is this the situation in your area?  It really surprised me.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• There have been a couple of random things.  For example, last week - nobody had cream cheese. Now there appears to be plenty.

I don’t know, @Botch, I haven’t seen anything that’s persisted.  The wife does most of the grocery shopping but I typically hear from her if there’s something she couldn’t find.  All that being said, this area of NC is probably much better sourced than where you are in Utah.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I keep hearing that there is a chips shortage but all convenience stores and grocery stores that I’ve see lately are fully stocked 🤷‍♂️

It’s real. I tend to hit the grocery stores 4x week and today Kroger had almost no beef and very little chicken. Produce was also bare. I asked the employee and he said they can’t get inventory to meet demand.  Not sure if that’s supply or logistics, but it’s very real 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Mom calls me fairly often for me to find things missing at their local Walmart. Usually it’s Progresso Minestrone soup which is an ingredient in a soup that she makes often. 
    Locally there are some shortages in chicken. I can usually improvise, adapt, and overcome though.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Have had challenges with finding saltine crackers. Ha it’s soup season. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Of all things, my family loves those frozen sliced garlic bread. The store never had that anymore. That is about the only thing that I have noticed regularly. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2022
    Yep alot of staples are out. Most other stuff seems to have gone up about 25% in cost the last 3-4 months. No Saltine crackers yesterday, they were out of half the cereals and what was actually there costs $5-$6 now versus over summer it was $1.99, milk was 95% gone. I think people are hoarding stuff again.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 69
    Out of Rockwood at my local meat market where I always get it.  A bit surprising as they smoke meats for counter sales and catering.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • There have been a couple of random things.  For example, last week - nobody had cream cheese. Now there appears to be plenty.

I don’t know, @Botch, I haven’t seen anything that’s persisted.  The wife does most of the grocery shopping but I typically hear from her if there’s something she couldn’t find.  All that being said, this area of NC is probably much better sourced than where you are in Utah.  
    I feel like the cream cheese shortage was a bit of a marketing ploy but I could be wrong. At any rate our store never ran short.  It has been hard to find friskars  cat food for a month or so 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    All it takes is one chain to run out of cream cheese (or anything) and for everyone to hear about it before they make a run and self-realize the prophesy.
    Hell yes! And at our mega Kroger at that!

Too long of an explanation right now as I’m watching GA & AL not that I have any favorite outcome! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Yep alot of staples are out. Most other stuff seems to have gone up about 25% in cost the last 3-4 months. No Saltine crackers yesterday, they were out of half the cereals and what was actually there costs $5-$6 now versus over summer it was $1.99, milk was 95% gone. I think people are hoarding stuff again.

How does one hoard milk?
  • Legume said:

How does one hoard milk?
    You just stop milking the cow, keep it all for yourself.  Duh.
  • All it takes is one chain to run out of cream cheese (or anything) and for everyone to hear about it before they make a run and self-realize the prophesy.
    Yeah but Philadelphia was telling everyone there was going to be a shortage for Christmas and sign up to get $25 or something if you skipped it this year, and then I never saw a shortage, I dunno smells like stinky cheese to me. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Obviously the latest covid surge factors into a lot of this.  People are stocking up, plus you factor in worker and driver shortages and people just out sick and there’s a bit of a domino effect.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Legume said:

How does one hoard milk?
    They buy all the gallons available, take them home, have no room in the frig, drink as much as they can, throw up, then get back on their phones to look for the next critical shortage.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 665
    edited January 2022
     It has been hard to find friskars  cat food for a month or so 
    This is probably due to the America’s Test Kitchen write-up on friskars more so than covid. But one could argue it was in ATK due to covid, so … 
  • nolaegghead
    If anyone is starving to death we can run a go-fund-me.
    My store ran out of dried black-eyed peas and ham hocks.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
    Hell yes! And at our mega Kroger at that!

Too long of an explanation right now as I’m watching GA & AL not that I have any favorite outcome! 
    Some, but certainly not all of the “shortage” is the lack of favorite brands. Perhaps this problem will have a good outcome! Gotta think positive, don’tchaknow?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    If anyone is starving to death we can run a go-fund-me.

I'm trying to be altruistic but people disagree with that "starving people first" mentality.  Fine.  Be that way.
    Rice Krispy shortage nationwide. None on shelves by me. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    danhoo said:
    Rice Krispy shortage nationwide. None on shelves by me. 
    How much were they when they did have them? 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I don't remember what brand name cost, but these were $1.98 a few months ago.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited January 2022
    Breyers chocolate ice cream here.   It's now officially serious !  edit to say there's plenty of this.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Yes, supply chain issues hitting locally. This week it’s dried pasta. Shelves completely empty at 2 different stores. 
  • Trucking problems in the Midwest, been waiting on steel beams for 2 1/2 weeks. Normally a two day issue.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Trucking problems in the Midwest, been waiting on steel beams for 2 1/2 weeks. Normally a two day issue.
    You usually pick those up at the grocery store?  Are they right next to the spices?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Legume said:

How does one hoard milk?
    It freezes pretty well, if you have the space. My sister would buy extra milk when she found it on sale, and freeze it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    You usually pick those up at the grocery store?  Are they right next to the spices?
    Groceries come on trucks troll.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC