Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grocery shortages where you live?

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Walmart didn’t have saffron. Progresso Minestrone soup is also hard to find. At Walmart two days ago only skinless and boneless chicken parts were available.
    Does Walmart usually have saffron?  Seems a little exotic for the Walmarts I’ve been in.
  • Legume
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    ColtsFan said:
    The great Grape Nut shortage still exists in these parts.
    Most disappointing cereal ever.  Tastes nothing like grapes or nuts.
    It's the worst 
    I like it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,307
    Options
    Legume said:
    Walmart didn’t have saffron. Progresso Minestrone soup is also hard to find. At Walmart two days ago only skinless and boneless chicken parts were available.
    Does Walmart usually have saffron?  Seems a little exotic for the Walmarts I’ve been in.
    Saffron is a little exotic for me but it is an ingredient in a Cuban chicken noodle soup. Rouse's did have it at a scalper price.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy
    A serious question, "Have you ever seen saffron in a Wally World?" As above, something I would think they would carry?
    Edit: All edits spent removing the friggin random excessive white line spacing within a post.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,307
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Gulfcoastguy
    A serious question, "Have you ever seen saffron in a Wally World?" As above, something I would think they would carry?
    Edit: All edits spent removing the friggin random excessive white line spacing within a post.  
    Considering the size of their grocery section and their large international foods section, yes I would expect them to carry it. Have I seen it there? It's the first time in memory that I have bought saffron. I haven't bought Za'atar or sumac but they carry both.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Don’t think I’ve noticed any shortages where I am. Not yet, anyway. 
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    You know it is bad when Costco is selling long term food storage meals......120 meals for $62......in a sealed bucket....
    Are they Green Eggable?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Still no Pilsbury, cereal aisle very sparse and no allocated bourbons yet
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,136
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Pillsbury, Tostitos, and Chicken Ramen Instant Cups all out here.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Options
    I wonder if product shortages by category correlate to diabetes or obesity rates at a local level.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    noticed that when tab was taken off the market and discontinued theres been a major shortage of tube tops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2022
    Options
    This weeks episode of what are we out of included all saltine cracker varieties, all refrigerated pillsbury products, no lettuce, no
    yogurt, no General Mills cereals, no poultry, and limited availability of deli meats. It's getting beyond ridiculous at this point. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JonWesson
    Options
    This weeks episode of what are we out of included all saltine cracker varieties, all refrigerated pillsbury products, no lettuce, no
    yogurt, no General Mills cereals, no poultry, and limited availability of deli meats. It's getting beyond ridiculous at this point. 
    ridiculous got passed by in 2020 when insurgency types refusing doing correct preventions.        might be you bass fishing soon to feed family and goats out mowing fancy yard grasses

large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's impressive (not in a good way). Local HEB, Kroger, Costco, Aldi's have stayed well stocked here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Are you guys having trouble finding Mexican Coke?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Nope, Biden is shipping mules all across the country.  Not even a pat down.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    Nope, Biden is shipping mules all across the country.  Not even a pat down.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I suspect the shelves are going to be looking bare here. We have a snow storm coming and for some reason people always buy up the milk and bread.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    not short with jalapenos last week, the small ones were  6 inches minimum. where are these coming from. an abt with the larger ones would take a third of a block of cream cheese and 3 strips of bacon
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,087
    Options
    not short with jalapenos last week, the small ones were  6 inches minimum. where are these coming from. an abt with the larger ones would take a third of a block of cream cheese and 3 strips of bacon
    @fishlessman
    Similar situation in my area, I picked up a half dozen couple days ago, 4-5 inches were the smallest I could find, most in the bin were larger than that.  Cooked them up yesterday, the heat level was on the low side, a bit disappointing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @fishlessman
    Similar situation in my area, I picked up a half dozen couple days ago, 4-5 inches were the smallest I could find, most in the bin were larger than that.  Cooked them up yesterday, the heat level was on the low side, a bit disappointing.
    pretty much what i found, made a nacho dipping sauce of sharp cheddar and ended up adding some jar stuff to pick up the heat. its usually always the other way around and they are too small for abts

fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @fishlessman

All of the Northern heat wimps resulted in seed suppliers developing low or now heat jalapenos. In packaging seeds frequently a seed or two of the wrong variety finds it's way into the package. Due to cross fertilization one wrong seed in a package of hot variety seeds can result in the seed produced from that farm patch being lower. Add to that jalapeños produced in hot weather tend to be hotter and vice versa for those in colder months or climates. It's February.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @fishlessman

All of the Northern heat wimps resulted in seed suppliers developing low or now heat jalapenos. In packaging seeds frequently a seed or two of the wrong variety finds it's way into the package. Due to cross fertilization one wrong seed in a package of hot variety seeds can result in the seed produced from that farm patch being lower. Add to that jalapeños produced in hot weather tend to be hotter and vice versa for those in colder months or climates. It's February.
    What the!  We are on the verge of a bland jalapeno crisis!  2022 is not shaping up well.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @fishlessman

What the!  We are on the verge of a bland jalapeno crisis!  2022 is not shaping up well.
    Frequently discussed on gardening forums. My personal experience with wrong seeds in seed packages. 3 years ago I got a Scorpion pepper seed in a packet of habanero seeds. I told my dad it was an "Eat this and you die plant" . My nephew's soon to be ex father in law took that as a challenge. We almost solved a family problem right there if it had only been a little hotter.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Jalapeno peppers in our grocery store continue to get milder and milder ... to the point I cannot even taste spice in them ... some have the heat of a bell pepper (non-existent heat).

Recently, for dishes where I use chopped spicy peppers, I've resorted to the Serrano pepper. Much better spice level.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    somehow i skipped over serrano, was on a habanero kick but quickly changed it up for scotch bonnet (when available) and thai, for me theres more flavor when chopped and added to something. hard to beat a jalapeno for abts though
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    No shortage today with jalapenos or habaneros but the price on the jalas has gone up 40¢ /lb in the last week or so.  The size is quite large as well.  
    Off to the Mexican grocery store for Mexican coke (the drinking kind, in a bottle).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    somehow i skipped over serrano, was on a habanero kick but quickly changed it up for scotch bonnet (when available) and thai, for me theres more flavor when chopped and added to something. hard to beat a jalapeno for abts though
    I use Caribe pepper for poppers.  Wish I had access to scotch bonnets.
  • Legume
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No shortage today with jalapenos or habaneros but the price on the jalas has gone up 40¢ /lb in the last week or so.  The size is quite large as well.  
    Off to the Mexican grocery store for Mexican coke (the drinking kind, in a bottle).  
    Missing a trick there Frank.  Get your peppers and avocados there, always cheaper.