Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grocery shortages where you live?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2022
    This was this past weekend.  The SRF Strips were cut a bit thinner than usual, 1.5" instead of the full 2" I prefer.  We all have to sacrifice.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    no lamb shanks nor oxtail, looks like it will be braised short rib and steaked beef shank this weekend.  gotta do what you gotta do. the red meat case is starting to look a little lean

Sign me up for some braised short rib! Man I might need to cook that this weekend too.
    LBGE
    AL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    This was this past weekend.  The SRF Strips were cut a bit thinner than usual, 1.5" instead of the full 2" I prefer.  We all have to sacrifice.

Good looking steaks. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I am making bean soup this weekend.  Or, chili, as some call it.  They had a million cans of beans at the grocery.  I will drag a pound of ground beef through it and spice it up.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510

That's a great price for wagyu!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022

That's a great price for wagyu!
    I am definitely spoiled.  They carry SRF ribeye too, but I much prefer the strips.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    No produce shortage at Hong Kong Market….
    Shrimp Shack closed for the season last week. Supply chain there is a pickup from the dock to the store. 
    Boat may be "balling". 
    Cooking on the coast
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2022
    Store today was out of milk, all chicken, eggs, paper towels, paper plates and a laundry list of other items. I stopped and asked the manager what it was and he said it's not lack of availability of product he said the warehouses are full of stuff, they can't get truck drivers to do deliveries. That's the root cause of all of this. There is a shortage of around 80,000 truck drivers in the US alone.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I always said if this Engineering thing didn't work out, I was gonna drive a big rig.  I would probably need to drive two to keep my ex myself in the manner she I has have grown accustomed.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Apparently we have a shortage of tonic water…

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Langner91 said:
    I always said if this Engineering thing didn't work out, I was gonna drive a big rig.  I would probably need to drive two to keep my ex myself in the manner she I has have grown accustomed.
    A customer of mine lost two of his drivers this summer. He offer no more than 50/hrs a week and $80k a year to stay. They bounced to drive for another company. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• No problem here on supply of Valentines candy. It was on the shelves a couple days after Christmas!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I was at the store today and shelves were pretty well stocked, but there were a few empty areas. One was the Pepsi product section was almost completely empty. Thought that was weird.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    RyanStl said:
    I was at the store today and shelves were pretty well stocked, but there were a few empty areas. One was the Pepsi product section was almost completely empty. Thought that was weird.
    Extremely odd considering most Pepsi houses are now just in distribution with main production facilities owned by others within the organization 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    could be the tonic/soda bottles. been seeing that in other places like squeeze top mayo. been talk about that with plastic booze bottles as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • We've had sporadic issues getting some groceries from our Fred Meyer (Kroger) curbside grocery pick up.  The items that aren't available vary week to week, but usually within a week or two we're able get them.  We've been really lucky with our curbside grocery's quality and the substitutions.  The worst substitution was when I ordered fresh cilantro and they substituted with a tube of cilantro paste.   :open_mouth:   Luckily we can decline substitutions!
    Curry County, OR
    LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    At least the days when humanity is hungrily sucking soylent green paste out of tubes has yet to pass.
    Well we are adding an Aldi's this year. That will be three grocery stores within a 1 mile stretch of highway.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    At least the days when humanity is hungrily sucking soylent green paste out of tubes has yet to pass.
    What do you think Cilantro Paste is?
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I have a tube in my fridge that I don't want to admit how old it is and it still tastes fine.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I had that same thought, but we don't have an "agree" button anymore. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    I don't know if this is now the norm, but I just put in  a test order at Restaurant Depot via instacart, and they did not ask for membership info. 

They charged a $5 long distance fee. It would have cost me $6+ just for gas. I paid nominal $ extra for the items, but saved about 2 hrs of time. Not complaining. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @caliking - soon you will have to become fluent in electrical charging rates.  I'm sure it won't be as easy as the gas usage calculations.
    BTW- thanks for the info.  I will have to see if that is in play here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    I don't know if this is now the norm, but I just put in  a test order at Restaurant Depot via instacart, and they did not ask for membership info. 

They charged a $5 long distance fee. It would have cost me $6+ just for gas. I paid nominal $ extra for the items, but saved about 2 hrs of time. Not complaining. 
    During COVID, Restaurant Depot opened their stores up to everyone.  With all the restaurants shut down they needed to do something.  I do not know of this will be permanent or not.

Also, didn't know instacart picked up from there!  That is super cool, but in AZ I mostly go during the summer just to stand in the refrigerated aisles. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    caliking said:

They've changed their m o:

"*Restaurant Depot offers memberships only to businesses. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.  In the following states, you also need your FEIN:  CT, IN, MA and PA. If you do not have a business, you can shop with a day pass.  Just stop off at the Reception desk on your way in.

Don't qualify for membership?  Shop with a day pass or get access to most of our items on instacart "

Pandemic has probably impacted their sales given the percentage of restaurants that have closed down or cutback on operating hours so not surprised they are trying to expand their customer base. No idea if it is a permanent or short term change.

Does instacart not tack on their own delivery fees?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

"*Restaurant Depot offers memberships only to businesses. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.  In the following states, you also need your FEIN:  CT, IN, MA and PA. If you do not have a business, you can shop with a day pass.  Just stop off at the Reception desk on your way in.

Don't qualify for membership?  Shop with a day pass or get access to most of our items on instacart "

Pandemic has probably impacted their sales given the percentage of restaurants that have closed down or cutback on operating hours so not surprised they are trying to expand their customer base. No idea if it is a permanent or short term change.

Does instacart not tack on their own delivery fees?

Instacart gets their cut. We signed up for their monthly premium/express whatever for about $10/mo, which we make up with 2 orders. We usually have ~10 orders/mo, so I consider ourselves ahead.

Per item prices are nominally higher than shopping in person in the store (except for meat, especially stuff like prime rib). They have been taking orders for stores that are 30+ mins away (99 Ranch, HMart, some others) for several months now. The savings in driving time alone is well worth it to us. 

The last time I shopped at RD  many  years ago, I was a KCBS member. Supposed to get a day pass. Took them 20 mins, and 2 manager-type people to figure it out. Its kinda why I didn't bother going back. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    HeavyG said:

Where you been, Dude?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    How much food comes from Canada and Mexico? Truckers into US must be vax now. Sure hope railroad workers dont go on strike also.