Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    lousubcap said:
    I will refrain from any WallyWorld comments for the preservation of this thread.  

My buddy runs a Walmart. The stories are endless...
    ask him if he's seen this

I think I found my new ring tone. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    may have defeated the Bitdefender blockade.  
    Last night, when I got onto my old desktop iMac, I tapped the bitdefender icon in the menu bar and there was a new, fourth selection, Upgrade or something like that; it was a folder, not an icon, so I carefully clicked on it and it went into my Download folder, and yes it was a folder.  I opened that, and saw the upgrade icon, but also an "Uninstall" icon, yes!  I clicked on it, and had to re-type my Administrator password at least four times, but then I got a screen that said Successfully Uninstalled, and I think I'm good on my old desktop.  I tried to send the Uninstall icon to my new laptop, but it was gone too (obviously a suicide mission).
    I thought about it a bit today, then went to Bitdefender's website.  After digging a bit, found a link on how to uninstall from a Mac, without the Uninstaller program.  Ended up digging into the Mac library, then the Extensions folder, and I think it's gone now, except for the Bitdefender icon in my menu bar.  

This morning my laptop came off the charger, 100%, and I had to plug it in again by the noon news.  100% by 1300; its now 2100 and my battery is at 80%, and it never got warm all afternoon/evening; I'm thinking my issue is resolved.  The BD icon is still up there, I can't get rid of it, but that's a small price.  
    While in the Library/Extensions folders, I also found some items related to my Wacom tablet, which I don't use anymore.  I tried deleting those folders, and got a bunch more "You Don't Have Permission!" messages, so I guess that's common practice for non-App Store programs.  Lesson Learned.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Reading about the awful traffic jam on I-95:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/01/04/i-95-shutdown-virginia/

A friend of mine got stuck in this.  Was in it for more than 18 hrs, and counting.  Good Lord.  
    Two main issues contributed to it.  First it began as heavy rain for hours that prevented application of salt/sand which would have been washed away. 
    Then rapid accumulation of wet snow.   VA Senator Kaine commutes from Richmond to DC each Monday morning.  He got stuck in it and said it took him 27 hours rather than 2 hours.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    my first thoughts of this traffic jam, how is this even possible, and how long does electric heat work in an electric car
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Prepping with my legal counsel. Round 17 of me versus the city. This time in a town hall forum. 2 years running, I’m getting tired of this crap
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    my first thoughts of this traffic jam, how is this even possible, and how long does electric heat work in an electric car
    That depends on the state of charge just like how much gas you have in a car. EV owners are usually aware of how much juice that are spending. We had a thread about this on the VW ID forum. Most recommended turning the actual heater down as low as possible and turning on the seat heaters. With a full charge, the options that I mentioned, possibly as long as 200 hours. With no worries that they are going to give themselves carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    That depends on the state of charge just like how much gas you have in a car. EV owners are usually aware of how much juice that are spending. We had a thread about this on the VW ID forum. Most recommended turning the actual heater down as low as possible and turning on the seat heaters. With a full charge, the options that I mentioned, possibly as long as 200 hours. With no worries that they are going to give themselves carbon monoxide poisoning.

thats a long time, something i didnt know. i suppose virginia doesnt get that cold so it would last longer
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    I would still recommend carrying sleeping bags or heavy blankets , water, and a box of granola bars or other non perishable food during the winter. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would still recommend carrying sleeping bags or heavy blankets , water, and a box of granola bars or other non perishable food during the winter. 
    ...and another person that maybe you're not too attached to...

Options

ive got winter gear in the truck, food, ax, water, and three days of clothes most of the year. still googling, most of the tests are done around 20 degrees f, dont see anything down in the winter range here. we had minus 20 for several weeks a couple winters ago, not something i see often but....
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    When I flew into Fairbanks to head to Ft. Wainwright the rental car agency gave me a massive survival bag.  Blankets, sleeping bag, jackets, boots, water, and food.  They said if I got out of the car in dead of winter I would live for about 5 minutes. 😳. This desert rat was not happy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    ya I'm thinking the same, things change pretty fast in the cold in the battery world. My starter battery is needing a bit of help this last week even. I have to plug in the truck overnight or its a gamble if it will turn over in the a.m.
    I got pulled over this morning too, took out the insurance card holder thingy from the glove box and it snapped in half.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Got a proper frost last night so the chilli fruits I had left in the shed (not insulated but with a bit of background heat from a chest freezer) caught the frost. I've cut them all and put them on trays to freeze before bagging. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Got a proper frost last night so the chilli fruits I had left in the shed (not insulated but with a bit of background heat from a chest freezer) caught the frost. I've cut them all and put them on trays to freeze before bagging. 

I feel your pain.  Some of my lavender flowers caught the frost!

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Wishing I hadn't underestimated Mother (F'in) Nature when I "repaired" patio umbrella few weeks back.  3/8" rods were not up to the challenge...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Wishing I hadn't underestimated Mother (F'in) Nature when I "repaired" patio umbrella few weeks back.  3/8" rods were not up to the challenge...

I think your neighbors might want you to stop trying.  The stronger you make them, the worse the storms seem.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dbCooper said:

For nine bucks you can pick up some fiberglass rods.  They are good for Macgyver-ing stuff around the house.

Options
    dbCooper said:

For nine bucks you can pick up some fiberglass rods.  They are good for Macgyver-ing stuff around the house.

Many thanks for this idea, they should adapt well for my issue!  I have to cover a 33" span and these rods are 39", 6" to attach into home base should be plenty.  Probably will bundle 3 or 4 for each run to give added strength/durability during the more frequent high intensity events.
    Great Plains, USA
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options

Made a bowl today 

Looks beautiful.  What kind of wood is it?
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

Many thanks for this idea, they should adapt well for my issue!  I have to cover a 33" span and these rods are 39", 6" to attach into home base should be plenty.  Probably will bundle 3 or 4 for each run to give added strength/durability during the more frequent high intensity events.
    You can also get different stiffnesses. One of my more unique hobbies was stunt kites.  We would swap out rods and sails depending on wind conditions.  I have bags of all different stiffnesses.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dbCooper said:

Made a bowl today 

Looks beautiful.  What kind of wood is it?
    Thanks. It is a Birch burl I’ve had for 20 years….  this morning I had a hankering to turn it.  There was a deep knot it the middle so the bowl had to be pretty shallow.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    alaskanassasin said:
    There was a deep knot it the middle so the bowl had to be pretty shallow.
    Bet that's why the grain is so fascinating near it.  Nicely done!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks @Botch
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Botch said:
    alaskanassasin said:
    There was a deep knot it the middle so the bowl had to be pretty shallow.
    Bet that's why the grain is so fascinating near it.  Nicely done!  ^
    ^^^agree^^^
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"