Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    Admiring the neighbours’ Magnolia in
    Nice but I prefer my neighbour's cherry tree hanging over my yard, too bad it stopped blooming and bearing yummy white cherries few years ago. He gave me the pruned limbs for smoking though.

@fishlessman speaking of radio telescope,  I almost built something like this years ago...

that looks like a russian listening device ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I was able to teach my 15 year old how to be pulled over last night as he's driving on his permit. Why are we getting pulled over he asks. For  Drunk driving I replied.  He has a tendency to wander in his lane.... good experience. Nice cop. 

https://www.pbs.org/black-culture/connect/talk-back/10_rules_of_survival_if_stopped_by_police/

I'm surprised the list doesn't contain one of the more basic suggestions I received from my father when I was learning to drive.  It is to turn on your interior lights if you're ever pulled over at night by a police officer.  The logic is that for a cop, walking up to the side of a car they can't see into can be very stressful, and so turning your lights on just puts them at ease a little bit.  

It made sense to me, and the handful of times I've been pulled over at night, it's what I've done.  
    "hey, he turned his lights on....probably looking for a gun!"

I really don't know what's right or wrong to do.  I've heard conflicting recommendations (stay in your car, get out of your car, etc).

Come on man.  The idea is to turn the lights on and then simply wait for the LEO to approach your vehicle window.  If they can see you in the car and see that you're not doing anything, that should help.  It seems pretty obvious to me, I don't know, maybe one of the LEOs here like @Battleborn will weigh in.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Admiring the neighbours’ Magnolia in
    Nice but I prefer my neighbour's cherry tree hanging over my yard, too bad it stopped blooming and bearing yummy white cherries few years ago. He gave me the pruned limbs for smoking though.

@fishlessman speaking of radio telescope,  I almost built something like this years ago...

that looks like a russian listening device ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I was able to teach my 15 year old how to be pulled over last night as he's driving on his permit. Why are we getting pulled over he asks. For  Drunk driving I replied.  He has a tendency to wander in his lane.... good experience. Nice cop. 

https://www.pbs.org/black-culture/connect/talk-back/10_rules_of_survival_if_stopped_by_police/

I'm surprised the list doesn't contain one of the more basic suggestions I received from my father when I was learning to drive.  It is to turn on your interior lights if you're ever pulled over at night by a police officer.  The logic is that for a cop, walking up to the side of a car they can't see into can be very stressful, and so turning your lights on just puts them at ease a little bit.  

It made sense to me, and the handful of times I've been pulled over at night, it's what I've done.  
    "hey, he turned his lights on....probably looking for a gun!"

I really don't know what's right or wrong to do.  I've heard conflicting recommendations (stay in your car, get out of your car, etc).

Come on man.  The idea is to turn the lights on and then simply wait for the LEO to approach your vehicle window.  If they can see you in the car and see that you're not doing anything, that should help.  It seems pretty obvious to me, I don't know, maybe one of the LEOs here like @Battleborn will weigh in.  

they more often than not approach from the passenger side now, maybe open all the windows. my dodge truck was a convertible, no dome light from factory, ive been asked to turn it on before. that doesnt go over well when you ask to use their light
    fukahwee maine

• WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited April 2021
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I have enjoyed reading your synopsis of the season. Thank you for sharing, and allowing me to further converse with my next-door neighbor who is quite the fanatic on the sport. Occasionally, due to your excellent journals of the events and games of this global interest, I am occasionally given the opportunity to add a couple of comments, that allows me to appear as though I am worthy to discuss such matters.

Thank you for your efforts, thank you for sharing.

Joly O kind sir! Pardon me, but could you kindly take it in good faith that I have the utmost optimism and respect for such a sporting event of frolicky my willie around in the young mistresses buttocks. 

Seriously, who talks like this?
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    last time i had a gun drawn on me i was fishing at 0.6 miles an hour with four rods in the water and drinking a hot tea on a sunny day. time before that my dog flushed a game officer dressed like mad max out of a tree while i was picking up camp, he was there for hours. both times i told the officer to put the gun away. mad max committed suicide a few weeks later. fishing is dangerous, ive had helicopters come down, a plane tipping a wing before getting swarmed by sleds. some of these guys are insane.  border patrol leaving canada was nice, they let me drink bradors while they stripped the truck, sorry sir, theres no drugs in the carb
    Lol, there is something with conservation officers even up here. You feel like a criminal no matter what you do. The lengths they go through with decoys and traps to try and bust you for something makes you feel as if you are trying to rob a bank.
    Had a buddy up here come across two stuck with their truck in a remote ditch in an area with no cell service for miles. He pulled up to the truck while the wardens hid on either side of the road/trail. He got a surprise attack from both sides and was asked for proper licenses what they were doing etc. Buddy pulled them out after and went on his way. An hour later gets pulled over by the same 2 and gets aggressively bombarded with more questions/allegations about what he's doing in the area.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    poster said:
    last time i had a gun drawn on me i was fishing at 0.6 miles an hour with four rods in the water and drinking a hot tea on a sunny day. time before that my dog flushed a game officer dressed like mad max out of a tree while i was picking up camp, he was there for hours. both times i told the officer to put the gun away. mad max committed suicide a few weeks later. fishing is dangerous, ive had helicopters come down, a plane tipping a wing before getting swarmed by sleds. some of these guys are insane.  border patrol leaving canada was nice, they let me drink bradors while they stripped the truck, sorry sir, theres no drugs in the carb
    Lol, there is something with conservation officers even up here. You feel like a criminal no matter what you do. The lengths they go through with decoys and traps to try and bust you for something makes you feel as if you are trying to rob a bank.
    Had a buddy up here come across two stuck with their truck in a remote ditch in an area with no cell service for miles. He pulled up to the truck while the wardens hid on either side of the road/trail. He got a surprise attack from both sides and was asked for proper licenses what they were doing etc. Buddy pulled them out after and went on his way. An hour later gets pulled over by the same 2 and gets aggressively bombarded with more questions/allegations about what he's doing in the area.

i think it takes a certain individual to bust locals in a town with one bar. ive been so far out i wasnt even sure i was in the us or canada and poof, a guy waiting all day walks out from behind a tree. but spotting scopes hooked to laptops, helicoptors, planes, sleds, wheelers, fish scent dogs etc, it gets crazy.  ill see one on the lake pretending to fish and get right on the radio, easy to spot, only one on the lake with a life preserver on. i really dont like drawn guns though for zippo reason at all. tempted to cast a heavey line at a radio drone next time im getting harassed, they brought them right down to the back of the boat a few years back, no idea where they were sitting
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    poster said:

i think it takes a certain individual to bust locals in a town with one bar. ive been so far out i wasnt even sure i was in the us or canada and poof, a guy waiting all day walks out from behind a tree. but spotting scopes hooked to laptops, helicoptors, planes, sleds, wheelers, fish scent dogs etc, it gets crazy.  ill see one on the lake pretending to fish and get right on the radio, easy to spot, only one on the lake with a life preserver on. i really dont like drawn guns though for zippo reason at all. tempted to cast a heavey line at a radio drone next time im getting harassed, they brought them right down to the back of the boat a few years back, no idea where they were sitting
    If you have an outboard you could lift the trim until the prop is just poking out the water and gun it.

Options
    MJG said:
    My early retirement/buyout, that I applied for last month, was formally accepted today. 6/30 separation date. Planning to take July thru September totally off and will then look for another gig. During my transition time I’ll be laying some groundwork for the future. 
    Nice!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Battleborn - thanks man.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Saw this today, made me laugh a bit.  We watched The Breakfast Club with our oldest over the weekend. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
    Admiring the neighbours’ Magnolia in bloom. 

You shall not covet your neighbor's Magnolia blooms
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Reposting what I just posted in the OT lacto ferment thread, to get better visibility and any help...

Must confess I've been avoiding this thread for the longest time, for fear of falling into another rabbit hole. Kind of forced to jump right to the end because I have a situation that needs advice.

Recently started playing with dry 2% salt only vac sealed veg. Tried cabbage, celery, cucumber, mustard green, after 7-10 days the vac bags swelled moderately and quite  happy with the end results.

Here's my dilemma
    ... my latest batch is heirloom carrots, it has been only 4 days and the bag has swollen tight like an overinflated balloon...

Ride it out few more days, or pop and reseal?
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Admiring the neighbours’ Magnolia in bloom. 

You shall not covet your neighbor's Magnolia blooms
    Better than coveting his girlfriend, I suppose. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options

Those look absolutely spectacular 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Reposting what I just posted in the OT lacto ferment thread, to get better visibility and any help...

Must confess I've been avoiding this thread for the longest time, for fear of falling into another rabbit hole. Kind of forced to jump right to the end because I have a situation that needs advice.

Recently started playing with dry 2% salt only vac sealed veg. Tried cabbage, celery, cucumber, mustard green, after 7-10 days the vac bags swelled moderately and quite  happy with the end results.

Here's my dilemma
    ... my latest batch is heirloom carrots, it has been only 4 days and the bag has swollen tight like an overinflated balloon...

Ride it out few more days, or pop and reseal?

I've never had a bag pop (not yet anyway) but I'd open the carrots and give one a taste and if they're not quite where you want them reseal and give them longer.
    Or you could just use a sewing needle to poke a small hole near the top of the bag and then let most of the gas bleed off and then put a piece of scotch tape over the hole - that would prevent any air from getting into the bag but still allow the bag to bleed off more gas if need be.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    @HeavyG I poked a pin hole at the top and scotch taped it after releasing some pressure, the bag is still like a balloon so it's a good indication no air entered. Will wait few more days. Thanks for your advice.
    canuckland
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,860
    Options

Seems like a great idea. For me the perfect response is to pull over, roll down the front and rear window on whichever side I approach. Either have license, registration (if needed) and insurance in hand or hands on the steering wheel. 

I write very few tickets because I find most things hypocritical. The only 100% tickets I write are no insurance, running red lights/stop signs and not having kids strapped in. If there are a bunch of infractions, I typically only write for one of them. 

Attitude goes a long way in how an interaction is going to go. From both the cop and the driver. I already know someone is pissed off that they got pulled over. I try my best to explain the reason they are pulled over and reasons why they may be receiving a ticket and any number of other outcomes they could have had (additional citations, impounding vehicles, arrests...).  For me it is about treating people respectfully and not being a douche. That has made 99.9% of my traffic enforcement interactions positive and most of the time people thank me afterwords. 
    Back in the 90's we used the term 'attitude test' but were told it was naughty and had to stop.  But the fundamental of 'behaviour breeds behaviour' has stood the test of time.

More recently 'procedural justice' has been promoted,  here's an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi8-FN3qry8&t=32s 

I was not enthusiastic about issuing tickets.  Stopping the car and pointing out the offence was usually sufficient action.  I had colleagues who loved it but they also had slender ego's and needed to exercise power for self-affirmation.  They tended to not be around when the fighting started either. 

I once summonsed a doctor (as in clinician) who had 8 passengers in his BMW 5 series.    I didn't do that for the guy who was using his car as a wheel barrow by pushing it along the street with an upturned sofa on the roof.   I also declined the offer of a driver's wife to take the roadside breath test (sobriety test for DUI) on behalf of her husband who was driving whilst steaming drunk.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Working on a new project 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Working on a new project 

Good choice of registers , are the returns open to the area above the plenum ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

Seems like a great idea. For me the perfect response is to pull over, roll down the front and rear window on whichever side I approach. Either have license, registration (if needed) and insurance in hand or hands on the steering wheel. 

I write very few tickets because I find most things hypocritical. The only 100% tickets I write are no insurance, running red lights/stop signs and not having kids strapped in. If there are a bunch of infractions, I typically only write for one of them. 

Attitude goes a long way in how an interaction is going to go. From both the cop and the driver. I already know someone is pissed off that they got pulled over. I try my best to explain the reason they are pulled over and reasons why they may be receiving a ticket and any number of other outcomes they could have had (additional citations, impounding vehicles, arrests...).  For me it is about treating people respectfully and not being a douche. That has made 99.9% of my traffic enforcement interactions positive and most of the time people thank me afterwords. 
    Back in the 90's we used the term 'attitude test' but were told it was naughty and had to stop.  But the fundamental of 'behaviour breeds behaviour' has stood the test of time.

More recently 'procedural justice' has been promoted,  here's an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi8-FN3qry8&t=32s 

I was not enthusiastic about issuing tickets.  Stopping the car and pointing out the offence was usually sufficient action.  I had colleagues who loved it but they also had slender ego's and needed to exercise power for self-affirmation.  They tended to not be around when the fighting started either. 

I once summonsed a doctor (as in clinician) who had 8 passengers in his BMW 5 series.    I didn't do that for the guy who was using his car as a wheel barrow by pushing it along the street with an upturned sofa on the roof.   I also declined the offer of a driver's wife to take the roadside breath test (sobriety test for DUI) on behalf of her husband who was driving whilst steaming drunk.

Fantastic video. Initial tone and demeanor has a major impact on how interactions go. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Working on a new project 

Good choice of registers , are the returns open to the area above the plenum ?

I'm unsure. I'm working on the IT/Networking infrastructure :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Quite Gawjus my friend. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Reflecting on today marking 13 months since the last tone I was in the office.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Just hit two new golf drivers in a swing simulator. Crazy technology. Crazy prices!! Nothing like try before you buy tho
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    @HeavyG I poked a pin hole at the top and scotch taped it after releasing some pressure, the bag is still like a balloon so it's a good indication no air entered. Will wait few more days. Thanks for your advice.

How long do you usually let carrots ride in the bag before eating them?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

Did she offer to blow on whatever you wanted her to?