Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Pork butts were on sale for $0.97/lb so picked up 2- trying to decide whether to cook one or both...
    Greensboro, NC
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    Wolfpack said:
    Pork butts were on sale for $0.97/lb so picked up 2- trying to decide whether to cook one or both...
    It freezes so well, I’ll often do 2-3 at a time
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I had someone else Chef this for me.

Love the presentation. Ours is always slung in a bowl and covered in Yum Yum/chili garlic sauce. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    The beginning of Mexican chopped chicken salad. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Using iPhone. If you switch to full site instead of mobile, it does not rotate the pic  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Tbent Oh my those look good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I had someone else Chef this for me.

Love the presentation. Ours is always slung in a bowl and covered in Yum Yum/chili garlic sauce. 
    It was not my handy work. When I make it, it is served in a large bowl and people scoop out what they want into their plate.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I cheffed my very first beer can chicken. I always spatchcock. Had to pour a bottle of beer into an empty Dr Pepper can as I had no canned beer available. No pics so you’ll have to take my word for it. About to chef some meatball subs for dinner. The chicken will be used throughout the week.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Those look outstanding @lousubcap - and I know those are your favorite - so it must have been a great day playing with fire and smoke.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    lousubcap said:
    I'm not gonna pretend to be a chef (I did spend a summer as a short order cook at a golf course snack bar...count?) or Dr but I did play with the stick burner today (no BGE so another strike and that makes three and out!)
    Porter Road dry aged beef back ribs- 

They were good-excuse my hack job and lack of positioning/placement skills-
    (Gotta have the $$ shot!)

Stay healthy and safe out there!
    My limited experience with beef back ribs was all bone and very little good meat, so I haven’t cooked any for probably 10 years. Those look unbelievably good! I need to revisit and find a good source. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • lousubcap said:
    I'm not gonna pretend to be a chef (I did spend a summer as a short order cook at a golf course snack bar...count?) or Dr but I did play with the stick burner today (no BGE so another strike and that makes three and out!)
    Porter Road dry aged beef back ribs- 

They were good-excuse my hack job and lack of positioning/placement skills-
    (Gotta have the $$ shot!)

Stay healthy and safe out there!
    A Sunday well spent, right there. I’d do more beef ribs if they were more accessible and cheaper in my area. Hopefully you followed these up with a nice rip behind a growling V8. Happy Sunday (or Saturday, as you might call it). 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @GrateEggspectations - never hit the road after a protracted cook given the adult supervisory beverages involved.  However, rolling the tires Monday for the adrenaline rush.  If the weather guessers are even close it should be around 16*C at launch with sunshine and blue sky.  Thanks for the inspiration.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Jackpot Frank, jackpot.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Tbent said:
    My limited experience with beef back ribs was all bone and very little good meat, so I haven’t cooked any for probably 10 years. Those look unbelievably good! I need to revisit and find a good source. 
    @Tbent , I had the same experience, and I guess there are two types of beef ribs out there; plate, which is what the good Cap'n cooked, and another type, (name escapes me) and I think you and I both bought.  They look like the rib cage of a venison roadkill from last October, yes?    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    The ribs I cooked tonight are the beef back ribs-the same general anatomy for the cow as the pork back ribs for a pig.  The whole section of ribs 6-7 bones weigh around 3-4 lbs NAMP # 124.  
    Beef plate ribs are the home of the dino bones - NAMP #123A.  When I get these-they run 7-8 lbs for 3 bones.  This cut is the home of "brisket on a stick."
    Beef chuck short ribs are NAMP 130 designated and are the 3-4 inch long ribs with the meat on top of the bone that you normally find called short ribs.
    BTW- NAMP is the North American Meat Processors Association.  Next time you visit your local butcher, speak in NAMP numbers- judge the reaction/response.
    That's way more than I need to process tonight.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tbent
    Botch said:
    Tbent said:
    @Tbent , I had the same experience, and I guess there are two types of beef ribs out there; plate, which is what the good Cap'n cooked, and another type, (name escapes me) and I think you and I both bought.  They look like the rib cage of a venison roadkill from last October, yes?    
    No. You’re right, there are more than one type of beef ribs, but he cooked back ribs. I’ve cooked plenty of plate ribs. He just made those roadkill ribs we’ve tried to cook before look edible and then some. Chef-ing indeed!
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Tbent
    lousubcap said:
    The ribs I cooked tonight are the beef back ribs-the same general anatomy for the cow as the pork back ribs for a pig.  The whole section of ribs 6-7 bones weigh around 3-4 lbs NAMP # 124.  
    Beef plate ribs are the home of the dino bones - NAMP #123A.  When I get these-they run 7-8 lbs for 3 bones.  This cut is the home of "brisket on a stick."
    Beef chuck short ribs are NAMP 130 designated and are the 3-4 inch long ribs with the meat on top of the bone that you normally find called short ribs.
    BTW- NAMP is the North American Meat Processors Association.  Next time you visit your local butcher, speak in NAMP numbers- judge the reaction/response.
    That's way more than I need to process tonight.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful!
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Freezer diving.  Pork roast via SV.

Tell me about those potatoes, please. 
  • lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - never hit the road after a protracted cook given the adult supervisory beverages involved.  However, rolling the tires Monday for the adrenaline rush.  If the weather guessers are even close it should be around 16*C at launch with sunshine and blue sky.  Thanks for the inspiration.  
    That’s a good policy. 

Appreciate the F to C conversation, btw. It’s -18 not factoring in the windchill now, but believe it or not, we’re supposed to be hitting 9 on Wednesday and 11 on Thursday. The white stuff doesn’t stand a chance. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @FarmingPhD I took some multi-colored fingerling potatoes and cut them into halves/quarters, tossed with some vindaloo seasonings, salt, pepper and raw spanish olive oil, roasted in the oven at 400F until done (crispy).  Melted half a stick of butter in a pan, tossed them in the butter right before serving. 

(not in pictures) Served with some sour cream.

Fried testies?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave