Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pfizer/Moderna Vaccine

Options

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    General statement:  There is no connection between autism and vaccinations.  There was a paper written years ago by a British scientist that failed peer review and was retracted.  People have been mining data trying to find that relationship and it has not been found to-date.  In absence of any scientific relationship between the two, the connection only exists outside of scientific circles as a junk science (not science) and conspiracy. 

I think most everyone knows this, just stating the obvious.
    And yet - it’s still a challenge to get people to let go of that argument. Which could not possibly be more thoroughly debunked. 
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    General statement:  There is no connection between autism and vaccinations.  There was a paper written years ago by a British scientist that failed peer review and was retracted.  People have been mining data trying to find that relationship and it has not been found to-date.  In absence of any scientific relationship between the two, the connection only exists outside of scientific circles as a junk science (not science) and conspiracy. 

I think most everyone knows this, just stating the obvious.
    And yet - it’s still a challenge to get people to let go of that argument. Which could not possibly be more thoroughly debunked. 

Kinda seeing a lot of that lately.  Collective something.
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I posted this in the OT and also WAYDRN  on-topic thread.  
    I wish this would get traction beyond our former presidents and Dr Fauci.  Just venting here!

"Now that there is a vaccine, we need the "across the culture" heavy-weights to be queued up and media hyped getting the shot.  This will go far in helping convince many that it is safe.  
    First in line should be POTUS (aka Cheeto) as that will change the trajectory of the nay-sayers but I hold little hope of that happening. 
    I am current culture driver challenged but I'm sure you could get a whole lot of media and eye-ball saturation with less than 100 celebrities in all fields to volunteer.  Too bad it won't happen.
    Be well-"
     I'm willing to bet money that El Cheeto has already been vaccinated. The question is, when will he admit to his adulating morons/public that he sold them out?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    They don’t seem to mind him getting antibodies created using fetal tissue research. 

Which they are against. 

My favorite puzzle is trying to square this logic of the MAGA idiots:

-The virus is a hoax. 
    -But when it isn’t a hoax, the virus only kills really weak people anyway. Regular people are fine. 
    -But Trump survived the virus because he’s super healthy and it shows how strong he is. 
    -He definitely didn’t get help from superior healthcare not available to the rest of us. 
    -Or from remdesiver (thanks to research using fetal tissue)
    -Except he’s right about hydroxychloroquine, which *is* a miracle drug, even though no one is using it for treatment for some reason. 
    -The fact he owns stock in th companies that deal in it is irrelevant. 
    -The vaccine is dangerous and we know nothing about it and you’d have to be an idiot to get it. 
    -But don’t forget to give Trump credit for it, and for it having been made so quickly.* 
    -Even though his administration declined to order enough. 

*[...in Germany, by Turkish immigrants, using a process well tested and perfected years ago, not recently invented under Trump’s “Warp Speed” banner]

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I am really surprised that USPS did not take this opportunity to show what they are capable of... or maybe they did. 
    Remember who the Postmaster General is right now.
    And what HE owns stock in...  

Follow the Money.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Yes. I will get it. In my months of google searching and Facebook learning, I am unable to confound thousands of scientists around the world with collectively many decades of research. I eagerly await those that think this is a hoax to skip taking it so there is some for my family sooner. Recently in my social umbrella, I have heard of several deaths of family members due to covid. It really sucks to die from a hoax, cause it’s a terribly cruel joke. 

mRNA vaccines are amazing. These people are geniuses. I am excited for the possibilities. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    So the Moderna vaccine has now been approved. Hopefully between the two the US will see some significant availability in Q1. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    If I don't die of old age before I am eligible and there is vaccine available, I will certainly get vaccinated. Which manufacturer puts the microchips in with the mRNA?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    So the Moderna vaccine has now been approved. Hopefully between the two the US will see some significant availability in Q1. 
    very good news!  i think a third of the population in 3 months is very optimistic, but even if it's 6 months, the summer is going to be looking much much better.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hook me up!! My family won't get **** if I die from Covid. But if a fancy new drug gets me. They may be entitled to a cash settlement in the future.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My wife is getting her’s this afternoon. I’ll wait my turn and let everyone who needs it get theirs. (Read: I’m going to wait and see how it works out for the first groups)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blind99
    Options
    My wife is getting her’s this afternoon. I’ll wait my turn and let everyone who needs it get theirs. (Read: I’m going to wait and see how it works out for the first groups)
    nice! 

we found out our rollout is delayed.  no shot for me tomorrow.  i was like a child waiting for christmas, and now i've found lump in the stocking.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

we found out our rollout is delayed.  no shot for me tomorrow.  i was like a child waiting for christmas, and now i've found lump in the stocking.  
    Her hospital experienced the same thing. They were supposed to start administering them yesterday but that didn’t happen. She was originally scheduled for this morning but got bumped to the afternoon.  The hospital received 300 doses and it was first come first serve to a select group of employees. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

Her hospital experienced the same thing. They were supposed to start administering them yesterday but that didn’t happen. She was originally scheduled for this morning but got bumped to the afternoon.  The hospital received 300 doses and it was first come first serve to a select group of employees. 
    Hmm? Interesting way to find out how much your hospital values you compared to your coworkers I guess. 
  • blind99
    Options
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

when i heard that the the state of illinois was getting a single shipment of doses that has to be divided and shipped to *96* areas i was suspicious.  i assume my hospital has to get it from one of those 96 areas.  crazy.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

when i heard that the the state of illinois was getting a single shipment of doses that has to be divided and shipped to *96* areas i was suspicious.  i assume my hospital has to get it from one of those 96 areas.  crazy.
    There is probably a shortage of the special freezers so they will end up doing a hub and spoke type of distribution.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

Hmm? Interesting way to find out how much your hospital values you compared to your coworkers I guess. 
    I heard some places use lottery system.
    canuckland
  • blind99
    Options
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

i know one local hospital that opened up vaccine scheduling to everyone, but didn't tell everyone.  they didn't have enough doses for everyone.  so whoever heard by word of mouth signed up, and a lot of others including front line nurses missed out.  not a good rollout.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

i know one local hospital that opened up vaccine scheduling to everyone, but didn't tell everyone.  they didn't have enough doses for everyone.  so whoever heard by word of mouth signed up, and a lot of others including front line nurses missed out.  not a good rollout.
    Open to employees only I assume? 

Fail.  We can be better.  Mitigate Risk.

Options

That aside, I’ll get it as soon as I’m able, which will probably be 5+ months from now.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:
    nice! 

That's not right. People should be treated better. If there's limited doses, determine a system and be open about it. Secret, word of mouth stuff in a workplace is not good.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    Options
    @nolaegghead the ethics of distribution are nuts. 

mitigate risk, and protect those who are at risk for bad outcomes.  i'd like to see emphasis on vaccinating by age.  just wait until the stories come out about who gets to jump the line and get vaccinated early on.  Entertainers, athletes, politicians?  White House almost did it this weekend.

i want this damned pandemic over.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    blind99 said:

mitigate risk, and protect those who are at risk for bad outcomes.  i'd like to see emphasis on vaccinating by age.  just wait until the stories come out about who gets to jump the line and get vaccinated early on.  Entertainers, athletes, politicians?  White House almost did it this weekend.

I don’t know, having politicians put their bare arms where their mouth is could resolve a lot of credibility problems. If Cheeto, Obama, Bush AND their wives and children all got the vaccine at the same time and place and on live tv it might let a lot of the air out of antivaxxers. I used to tell the people that I supervised, truthfully, I am not asking you to do anything that I haven’t done. Come to think of it Al Sharpton should do the same. If they want me to do the same, just tell me when and where.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    edited December 2020
    Options
    20 million doses of the Moderna vaccine are expected to be produced right in Bloomington by the end of 2020. Pence held a presser at the manufacturer today. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• blind99
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    20 million doses of the Moderna vaccine are expected to be produced right in Bloomington by the end of 2020. Pence held a presser at the manufacturer today. 
    ftfy - this is good news!
  • builderdawg
    Options
    I had COVID a couple of months ago, so I’ll let others get the vaccine ahead of me, but my family and I will all get the vaccine eventually. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

blind99 said:

I don’t know, having politicians put their bare arms where their mouth is could resolve a lot of credibility problems. If Cheeto, Obama, Bush AND their wives and children all got the vaccine at the same time and place and on live tv it might let a lot of the air out of antivaxxers. I used to tell the people that I supervised, truthfully, I am not asking you to do anything that I haven’t done. Come to think of it Al Sharpton should do the same. If they want me to do the same, just tell me when and where.
    Politicians shouldn't decide, or they should decide to let an independent board of statisticians, doctors, chefs, etc determine who and when.

Now everyone knows I'm not exactly a fan of the giant Cheeto, but the executive and legislative branches and the military brass should be among those that get it first...we can't leave our country defenseless.  Actually, scratch the legislative branch, they're about as useful as tits on a bull.   This includes the incoming executive branch.  

As far as others go, I would guess they are doing what they say they are...first responders, especially medical because we already have a massive shortage of them.  Then highest risk people, etc.

If it were me, I'd give anyone a pass on safety mandates so they can get their perceived dose of "Freedom", but they would have to sign something that says they pledge to stay away from anyone wearing masks and if they got the Rona and needed an ICU bed or vent, they wouldn't get one or would be pulled off if a responsible person needed the spot.  Ok, I'm an a55hole, but actions have consequences.

At SWMBO's hospital, they are trying to get more nurses....offering $2600 a week to work 4 12 hour shift/wk.  And it's not nearly as bad here as elsewhere.  The medical resources are not local phenomena.

This is getting to the point where insufficient resources will increase the mortality rate of hospitalized patients.  And I'm not just talking about Rona patients.....ALL patients that need critical care.  This is excluding the paucity of preventative and maintenance care that has already been scaled back.  That stuff can escalate and have a ripple effect for year.
    Considering that a poll revealed that nearly half of medical personnel didn’t want to be the the first to take the vaccine and less than half of Latinos and African Americans do either it seems that a promotional campaign is necessary. In Mississippi the head of our state health department took the first dose live on video. The two minority groups that I mentioned have suffered disproportionately to their percentage of the population. Unless the government intends to forcibly vaccinate those two groups and the antivaxxer Karen’s it won’t be possible to reach the 75 to 80% needed for herd immunity. Since that is illegal having influential members of their groups publicly and willingly be vaccinated is the other option. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - my thoughts as there is an opportunity to influence: 
    I posted this in the OT and also WAYDRN  on-topic thread.  
    I wish this would get traction beyond our former presidents and Dr Fauci.  Just venting here!

"Now that there is a vaccine, we need the "across the culture" heavy-weights to be queued up and media hyped getting the shot.  This will go far in helping convince many that it is safe.  
    First in line should be POTUS (aka Cheeto) as that will change the trajectory of the nay-sayers but I hold little hope of that happening. 
    I am current culture driver challenged but I'm sure you could get a whole lot of media and eye-ball saturation with less than 100 celebrities in all fields to volunteer.  Too bad it won't happen.
    Be well-"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.