Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    maine camoflauge

What the h*?
    Options
    Wow, impressive.  How much do those ovens go for?
    Options
    (even though if I buy one more outdoor cooking unit I'll lose my unit in my sleep)
    @SonVolt - that is really an amazing outcome for your first pizza off a WFO.  What are you using for the dough?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SGH said:
    blind99 said:
    @sgh thank goodness, I was getting worried about your eating habits!

Not to worry my friend. I have been trying to eat better for a while. I was getting so fat that when I farted it sounded like two oiled sea lions fukking so I thought I better cut back. 
    On a side note, on Sundays I treat myself and eat whatever I want. I have lost enough weight that I can now fart The Star Spangled Banner in perfect key 👍
    @sgh phew!  I was worried we wouldn't be able to pull off our "Duet from the Southbound End of Two Northbound Assess"

My son thinks butt trumpets are the greatest thing ever.  Apparently my love of Monty Python has passed to the next generation.

Was this thread about something important?  I apologize if so.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @SonVolt welcome to the addiction. I will still use my oven for pizza if it’s deep dish or similar but most others all go on the outdoor oven. It’s fun as hell.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Wow, impressive.  How much do those ovens go for?

I got their largest model - the Marinara - w/stand and riser which came out to just over $4k. I also got the Seputo stones for $500 which I probably didn't need (I used the stock stones yesterday). If you don't need the stand and provide your own table it's ~$1,000 less. So it's a lot more than an Ooni, but a lot less than a dedicated masonry oven. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @SonVolt - that is really an amazing outcome for your first pizza off a WFO.  What are you using for the dough?

I'm using King Arthur Bread flour right now, though I do have a shipment of Gold Medal "All Trumps" on its way, which I believe is higher protein than the KA. 

I'm following a basic NY style recipe from Serious Eats.  The sauce is from Cook's Illustrated. Cheese is whatever "fresh mozz" that Publix sells in the vacpack tube. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never seen one of these, left handed double lead acme

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just left the JJ George warehouse to pick up a new cover for my table. Nice group of guys. The owner gave me a spare torch when I mentioned mine was glowing red at the bend, most likely just some grit in the tube blocking the flow of gas. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work on that new oven @SonVolt
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I'm using King Arthur Bread flour right now, though I do have a shipment of Gold Medal "All Trumps" on its way, which I believe is higher protein than the KA. 

I'm following a basic NY style recipe from Serious Eats.  The sauce is from Cook's Illustrated. Cheese is whatever "fresh mozz" that Publix sells in the vacpack tube. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html
    Thanks man!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    never seen one of these, left handed double lead acme

Same here.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Warming up and de-icing for dinner prep.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Gagging a little bit. Why would buy this

You should never go in a restaurant through the back door....
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    rifrench said:
    MasterC said:

Or the back room of a supermarket.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    rifrench said:
    MasterC said:

The things I’ve seen delivering bread cannot be unseen
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice pie @SonVolt impressive oven

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Pence is in town. Photo taken from a clients hanger at the local airport 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Debating on what new vehicle to
    buy. Narrowed it down to basically
    4 choices

2020 Ram 1500 Laramie
    2020 GMC Sierra SLT
    2021 Toyota 4runner TRD Offroad
    2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Reliability wise I’d say I should get another 4runner to match my current one with 268,000 miles. But the other 3 have compelling arguments for them as well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Debating on what new vehicle to
    buy. Narrowed it down to basically
    4 choices

2020 Ram 1500 Laramie
    2020 GMC Sierra SLT
    2021 Toyota 4runner TRD Offroad
    2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Reliability wise I’d say I should get another 4runner to match my current one with 268,000 miles. But the other 3 have compelling arguments for them as well.
    4runner
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    You should buy used. Why take the depreciation hit? The guy with a bass boat still won’t notice you.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    Options
    You should buy used. Why take the depreciation hit? The guy with a bass boat still won’t notice you.
    Main reason is I don’t care about depreciation really because I keep my cars for a decade. I like the idea of having a warranty at least for a couple years. The bass boat guy can kiss my left walnut

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    F250 end of story.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    Settle down hazelnut.

The depreciation hit comes on the makes where you most need the warranty.  Although I’m not sure I would expect a Toyota from this year to hold up like one made 10 years ago.

Do you need a truck or do you go four wheeling recreationally?  Two categories on that list.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Get a vehicle that can haul a bassboat.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    Settle down hazelnut.

The depreciation hit comes on the makes where you most need the warranty.  Although I’m not sure I would expect a Toyota from this year to hold up like one made 10 years ago.

Do you need a truck or do you go four wheeling recreationally?  Two categories on that list.
    No I don’t go four wheeling. But it would be fun to have that option if I wanted to get into it. I’m not real excited about off-roading a brand new vehicle however. I like the utility and interior space of a truck. 4wheel drive is a nice to have not a must have.

Main thing I need is a vehicle that can last 200,000 miles with not a lot of upkeep or issues. I love my 4runner because I’ve barely had to make any repairs on it and it still runs great. I’m keeping it till it dies. This new vehicle for now will get used on weekends, road trips, or if I want to get into it off-roading.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 - I think given your preferences as stated the 2021 4Runner makes the most sense.  Hard to beat them for reliability over the long haul.