Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uhmmm....

Options

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited August 2020
    Options
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I bet they're both as skilled with their weapons as Barney Fife was with his.
    Are you a gun owner? I've never heard you mention it before. 
    Is the argument here really that one needs to be a gun owner to recognize Bonnie and Clyde there are shittheads?  
    People do weird sh!t when they feel threatened. 
    You mean like shooting an unarmed man in the back 6 or 7 times, in front of his three kids?
    While I'm not here to say that this was a good use of force. Maybe, on this one we should let the investigation play out before we talk about shooting an unarmed man. 

Las Vegas, NV

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    After she was a Victoria Secret's model, Kim was married to Gavin Newsome - current CA Gov, former SF mayor. I don't think the same level of street $hitting was going in $hitFrancisco back then, but anyway, they were married.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Battleborn said:
    While I'm not here to say that this was a good use of force. Maybe, on this one we should let the investigation play out before we talk about shooting an unarmed man. 

There is a HELL of a lot more we ALL need to know, before judging this situation; despite so many already having done so...   :|

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Is the argument here really that one needs to be a gun owner to recognize Bonnie and Clyde there are shittheads?  
    You mean like shooting an unarmed man in the back 6 or 7 times, in front of his three kids?

I am not sure what that is, but it does not look like a gun to me.  I guess it could be a knife, but, come on man.  You’ve seen the video I’m sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I am not sure what that is, but it does not look like a gun to me.  I guess it could be a knife, but, come on man.  You’ve seen the video I’m sure.
    It is allegedly a knife.

I have also read that in addition to the police being called in reference to a domestic dispute, they were also called because of a man waiving a knife. I have seen reports that Mr. Blake had active warrants for sexual assault and domestic abuse. I cannot verify that with credible sources to reference,  but have seen it in multiple places.

What I can say, I think seven shots may be excessive. But you can't see what is going on in the car. I can also see that the media is not all over this like previous incidents and many have removed the "unarmed" from their headline/story.

I'm all for accountability, and if there is wrong doing, people need to be held accountable. But, to me, there is enough for me to say that we need to see what the investigation says before we jump to conclusions based on a 20 second video shot from a distance. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Could have been car keys and he was attempting to DWB
    Options
    Regardless what was in his hand (knife, car keys, gun, whatever) I can't imagine a scenario where shooting someone in the back multiple times is justifiable.
    We shall see.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Her struggle is real.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Riiight.  Puerto Ricans have been US citizens since 1917.
    edited August 2020
    Options
    thetrim said:
    After she was a Victoria Secret's model, Kim was married to Gavin Newsome - current CA Gov, former SF mayor. I don't think the same level of street $hitting was going in $hitFrancisco back then, but anyway, they were married.

That's quite the photo. I guess it was intended to show them as an alluring "power couple"??? Or maybe the photographer walked in on them as they were about to...

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    🤔

Options
    HeavyG said:
    Regardless what was in his hand (knife, car keys, gun, whatever) I can't imagine a scenario where shooting someone in the back multiple times is justifiable.
    We shall see.
    I saw some stories where they are saying he told the police he had a gun and was going to get it. If they don't shoot him in the back and he turns around with a gun they all open fire and his kids are probably killed also. People really need to let investigations happen before they make a judgement.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    At some point, with two police officers somewhat calmly following you, with a gun drawn on you, no doubt instructing you to stop, etc., why do you proceed to do something that could be viewed as a threat (eg open the car, reach in, not have your hands in plain sight, etc.) ?

Agree, let the investigation happen.  This shouldn’t have gone to trigger, in the back.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Legume said:
    At some point, with two police officers somewhat calmly following you, with a gun drawn on you, no doubt instructing you to stop, etc., why do you proceed to do something that could be viewed as a threat (eg open the car, reach in, not have your hands in plain sight, etc.) ?

Agree, let the investigation happen.  This shouldn’t have gone to trigger, in the back.
    My two cents on that is that it's the officer's job to de-escalate, or subdue, if necessary. 

If he's deemed as a threat, or under arrest, they absolutely can't allow him access to that vehicle.  The potential for a weapon or weaponizing the car is too dangerous for all involved.

....that being said....

There are a variety of non-lethal options that could have prevented the situation from ever reaching that point.  If he's under arrest, arrest him.  If he's belligerent, subdue him.  Allowing him, without contest, to access that vehicle was grossly negligent and resulted in a perceived "need" to shoot him.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Perhaps we should also hope the guy who was shot survives to be able to provide his side of the story.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Legume said:

My two cents on that is that it's the officer's job to de-escalate. 

If he's deemed as a threat, or under arrest, they absolutely can't allow him access to that vehicle.  The potential for a weapon or weaponizing the car is too dangerous for all involved.

....that being said....

There are a variety of non-lethal options that could have prevented the situation from ever reaching that point.  If he's under arrest, arrest him.  If he's belligerent, subdue him.  Allowing him, without contest, to access that vehicle was grossly negligent and resulted in a perceived "need" to shoot him.
    According to a witness at the scene and this is a story from the Wahington Post the police tried to taser him and it didnt work. That was before he walked around the vehicle. You can see he has something in his hand that could easily be a knife so if he did have a knife that would explain why they didnt want to grab him. Who knows but why cant he just listen when the police tell him something? 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

White, who said he made the video, said that before the gunfire, he looked out his window and saw six or seven women shouting at each other on the sidewalk. A few moments later, Blake drove up in his SUV and told his son, who was standing nearby, to get in the vehicle, according to White. White said Blake did not say anything to the women.

White said he left the window for a few minutes, and when he came back, saw three officers wrestling with Blake. One punched Blake in the ribs, and another used a stun gun on him, White said. He said Blake got free and started walking away as officers yelled about a knife.

• Botch
    Options
    It was quite a day yesterday.

(I hadn't heard about Steele until now)

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Botch said:

You'd like to think there's no way they could top that, but I would never bet against the ability of Trump and today's GOP to find a way. The graphic doesn't even mention the revelations coming out about Melania in a new book or the recorded comments from Trump's sister.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Options
    To be fair, trumps sisters comments were from two days ago.   ;)

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Botch said:
    To be fair, trumps sisters comments were from two days ago.   ;)
    It's getting hard to keep up with all the hits. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    Options
    plan b being missed by some people's.    swamp could not be drained out.     the money for it needed for wall due to mexico not paying up.      plan b is darwin method by overloading swamp with alligators and let nature solve.     saw charts somewhere is big cost saving.
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Botch said:

You'd like to think there's no way they could top that, but I would never bet against the ability of Trump and today's GOP to find a way. The graphic doesn't even mention the revelations coming out about Melania in a new book or the recorded comments from Trump's sister.
    Watch out, Michelle!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is a great read that I can highly recommend. It sheds a lot of light for sure. One might say that it is gripping  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm surprised that you guys are still talking about unimportant things like the future of our country instead of the thorough a$$ whooping that USA gave Canada last night in the VGK and Vancouver game.
    I refrained from mentioning countries in above NBA games.

Kind of ironic three of the five VGK players who scored against Canada are Canadians  ;)  guess they kicked their own a$$

Considering over half the leagues players are Canadian born, that is no surprise. However, given the state that my country, state and profession are in, you should let me have this. I thought you Canadians were nice. 
    Don't criticize our hockey, maple syrup or doughnuts ... maybe even include bacon in that.

Anything else, we are very, very polite.
    Wasn't me.
    Touche, I love Krispykreme ... we can forgive that one. Although we are talking only their doughnuts ... not the coffee .... although Tim Hortons has been owned back and forth by US companies ... so this one is a bit of a grey zone.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Battleborn
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Legume said:

My two cents on that is that it's the officer's job to de-escalate, or subdue, if necessary. 

....that being said....

Completely agree with everything you said. A Taser was apparently deployed and was ineffective (which they are, somewhere around 40% of the time). I can't speak of what other less lethal options were available to them.

Perhaps we should also hope the guy who was shot survives to be able to provide his side of the story.  
    I hope he does and has the opportunity to have his side of the story told. 
    Las Vegas, NV