Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uhmmm....

Options

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Now we're getting somewhere!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I’m trying to imagine Melania teaching at a community college and... nope.
    I mean if it fit Vladimir's agenda I could see it.
    Ok, I got to get a T/O.

I need 1 Off topic to bat for the cycle. Somebody help a brotha out.

You have to come by it organically.... you can't ask for it!   😁
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    So @caliking if you had to give Michelle(sic) Obama a visit from Dr Jellyfinger, would you have the g@ddamn common courtesy to give her(sic) a reach around
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    thetrim said:
    So @caliking if you had to give Michelle(sic) Obama a visit from Dr Jellyfinger, would you have the g@ddamn common courtesy to give her(sic) a reach around
    What the F is wrong with you?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    I wonder of you could row fast enough for a hydrofoil?. Maybe dimple the bow like a golf ball?  Friction reducing coatings like teflon?
    Nope. A golf ball flies through the air, which is a compressible fluid.  Water is a non-compressible fluid, and the drag calculations are totally different [/failed Aerospace engineer].  Compressible vs. Non-Compressible fluid differences also explain the differences between pneumatic vs. hydraulic power systems.

Another interesting aspect about aerodynamic drag (air/compressible fluid) is... nose cones!  Note that the front of every airline plane, the nose is rounded; it is the configuration that has the least drag/max fuel efficiency.... at subsonic speeds.  Our fighter jets (F-15/F-16/F-35, and those silly Navy planes) have pointed noses, as the drag is reduced substantially... at supersonic speeds.  
    The one exception to this rule is the USAF B-1 bomber.  The B-1A was designed as a low-altitude, supersonic bomber, with a pointed nose, but the low-terrain radar couldn't quite keep up.  The follow-on B-1B bomber (which make up our fleet) was throttled down to subsonic speeds, but they kept the pointed nose.  I don't know if it was to still fit the radars, or aesthetics... 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Most people do not appreciate the fact that the boats do not balance themselves.  
    A properly designed boat (or is it a ship?) will absolutely balance without human intervention.

Your little speedy row boats probably do not though.
    A shell.

If you set up one of these on the water without anyone in them and without any oars, you'll have a hard time keeping it level.  They basically sit right up on the water and are very light, so the contact with the water is close to zero without anyone in them.  

Once you put rowers in them, all bets are off.  All eight rowers have to work carefully together.  Slight movements in the wrong direction by one rower and you're in trouble quickly.  

That is an interesting fact I never even thought about!  Is there an optimum total team mass?  I would bet at elite levels a boat is probably designed for the team rowing.
    There probably is an optimal team mass, but hitting that is next to impossible, for obvious reasons.  The emphasis is on endurance, strength, and an optimal balance of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers.  

I've never heard of a boat being tailored to a specific team, even at the elite level.  
    I would assume hulls are built to meet a standard design. Do different teams have the ability to design their own hulls?

Like are there standards one must adhere too, similiar to Formula 1, or the clearly inferior Winston Cup?

There are probably lots of things one could do to reduce drag and thus reduce the energy required to reach a desired speed and maintain it.

I wonder of you could row fast enough for a hydrofoil?. Maybe dimple the bow like a golf ball?  Friction reducing coatings like teflon?

http://198.143.168.32/~qnkvbhfx/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Lily-Van-Steenberg-Paper.pdf
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Strong, smart and most improtantly, powerful women terrify trimmer.

Can you imaging how many women rejected him over the years to create this mindset?

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Most people do not appreciate the fact that the boats do not balance themselves.  
    A properly designed boat (or is it a ship?) will absolutely balance without human intervention.

A shell.

If you set up one of these on the water without anyone in them and without any oars, you'll have a hard time keeping it level.  They basically sit right up on the water and are very light, so the contact with the water is close to zero without anyone in them.  

Once you put rowers in them, all bets are off.  All eight rowers have to work carefully together.  Slight movements in the wrong direction by one rower and you're in trouble quickly.  

That is an interesting fact I never even thought about!  Is there an optimum total team mass?  I would bet at elite levels a boat is probably designed for the team rowing.
    There probably is an optimal team mass, but hitting that is next to impossible, for obvious reasons.  The emphasis is on endurance, strength, and an optimal balance of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers.  

I've never heard of a boat being tailored to a specific team, even at the elite level.  
    I would assume hulls are built to meet a standard design. Do different teams have the ability to design their own hulls?

Like are there standards one must adhere too, similiar to Formula 1, or the clearly inferior Winston Cup?

There are probably lots of things one could do to reduce drag and thus reduce the energy required to reach a desired speed and maintain it.

http://198.143.168.32/~qnkvbhfx/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Lily-Van-Steenberg-Paper.pdf
    Now that - is cool!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    I've followed this thread enough to know the following is OT (meaning serious), no apologies, you were warned.
    The rowing discussion made me recall an episode of a PBS series called American Experience.  It details the team from Washington St. that went to the 1936 Berlin Olympics.  They did not disappoint.  For those that enjoy a underdog story and have an hour to spare more information is here...
    I’ve read that book - it’s a good one.  The other rowing book that’s really pretty great is Assault on Lake Casitas by Brad Lewis.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Not  true @dmchicago. Interesting to see how many here either fall in the can’t take a joke group or let’s blindly support the most anti-American first spouse in history group 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmchicago
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Not  true @dmchicago. Interesting to see how many here either fall in the can’t take a joke group or let’s blindly support the most anti-American first spouse in history group 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2020
    Options
    thetrim said:
    And then there is the “unhealthy and bizarre obsession with Michelle Obama” group, that only appears to have a single member.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Foils are awesome!
    Don't need to go fast in water to get a foil up on plane but once you do you can go very fast. It's not rowing, but if you're not familiar with the SailGP series of international races using the F50 catamarans you should check out some videos. Gotta love a sailboat that can hit 50knots in a 15knot wind.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    A childhood buddy's grandfather won 2 olympic silvers.  Always been a fan.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Wait... hold on... people use jelly?!?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Hahaha
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited August 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    thetrim said:
    Wait... hold on... people use jelly?!?
    My friend/teammate/pitcher took a line drive off his glove and bounced and hit him just above his eyebrow tonight. It ended up splitting his eyebrow and had a nice bloody mess. My other teammate and I tried to convince him that he needed to go to Walgreens after the game and get icy/hot KY Jelly for the wound. We really tried to convince him that it was the best option since he didn't have mycitracin at home for the cut. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmchicago
    Options
    #Brayden Harrington

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited August 2020
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

A shell.

That is awesome!  Thank you for sharing.  The internet is an amazing thing.  To live in a time when a significant portion of human knowledge is at our finger tips is amazing.

......and we use it for cats and juvenile insults.  Aliens probably avoid us.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    caliking said:

A  guy goes to see a gastroenterologist.

Doctor - " I have to do a rectal exam. Its normal to feel some discomfort during the exam."

Guy - "OK. But how come BOTH of your hands are on my shoulders?"
    You should save revelations like this for your autobiography.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    #Brayden Harrington
    Man that took guts.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    #Brayden Harrington
    Man that took guts.
    I’m sure he’ll be made fun of next week. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    #Brayden Harrington
    Man that took guts.
    Doubt it will take that long.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

A shell.

That is awesome!  Thank you for sharing.  The internet is an amazing thing.  To live in a time when a significant portion of human knowledge is at our finger tips is amazing.

......and we use it for cats raccoons and juvenile insults.  Aliens probably avoid us.
    FTFY

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

A shell.

Of course aliens avoid us.  We steal their DNA to use in medical treatments!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

A shell.

Of course aliens avoid us.  We steal their DNA to use in medical treatments!

Atta Boy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    #Brayden Harrington
    Man that took guts.
    Whoever flagged this, Lit/Trim, has not been paying attention.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    #Brayden Harrington
    Man that took guts.
    Whoever flagged this, Lit/Trim, has not been paying attention.
    I do alot on here but flagging isnt part of it. Useless to me if you cant tell its me doing it
  • thetrim
    Options
    I didn’t flag that comment 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95