Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    That is a interesting article
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    Yep.  Lots of things popping up like this now, essentially the result of the realization that so many people are walking around with this thing with very few to any symptoms.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Yep.  Lots of things popping up like this now, essentially the result of the realization that so many people are walking around with this thing with very few to any symptoms.

Indicating that the mortality rate may not be nearly as high as was first indicated.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Indicating that the mortality rate may not be nearly as high as was first indicated.
    Very possible.  The best science I had read was suggesting a 1% mortality rate.  If you look at the data out of South Korea, the country that has tested by far more than just about anywhere else (on a per capita basis), they are seeing a 2% lethality.

As I have written here for some time, however, focusing on mortality misses the real concern for the virus, which is how efficiently it spreads and the impact on our critical care facilities.  
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Mortality is the impact. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I hear ya but when this thing came out they said over 4% of the people who catch it are going to die.  I’m glad to hear that may be way off.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Mortality is the impact. 
    And is exacerbated when limited resources are stretched thin.

Everyone understands mortality is the impact.  Higher patient to doctor ratios and reduced surge capacity inevitably leads to lower quality care.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Dobie said:
    Mortality is the impact. 

Everyone understands mortality is the impact.  Higher patient to doctor ratios and reduced surge capacity inevitably leads to lower quality care.
    That’s correct.  Hospitals that are overrun lead to higher mortality rates and additional, ancillary deaths.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I hear ya but when this thing came out they said over 4% of the people who catch it are going to die.  I’m glad to hear that may be way off.  
    1% would be ten times more lethal than the flu.  That’s plenty deadly.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Dobie said:
    Mortality is the impact. 

And can lead to other downstream effects - there is a report that will be coming out in the Journal of American College of Cardiology that preliminary analysis during the early phase of the COVID pandemic shows an estimated 38% reduction in US cardiac catheterization laboratory STEMI activations, similar to the 40% reduction noticed in Spain.

If people experiencing blocked arteries aren't coming to the ER out of fear of overcrowding and/or contracting covid - that is going to increase mortality of blockages.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Acn said:
    johnnyp said:
    Dobie said:
    Mortality is the impact. 

And can lead to other downstream effects - there is a report that will be coming out in the Journal of American College of Cardiology that preliminary analysis during the early phase of the COVID pandemic shows an estimated 38% reduction in US cardiac catheterization laboratory STEMI activations, similar to the 40% reduction noticed in Spain.

If people experiencing blocked arteries aren't coming to the ER out of fear of overcrowding and/or contracting covid - that is going to increase mortality of blockages.
    Good article in the WaPo re this phenomenon .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/patients-with-heart-attacks-strokes-and-even-appendicitis-vanish-from-hospitals/2020/04/19/9ca3ef24-7eb4-11ea-9040-68981f488eed_story.html
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

Given the study's estimate of 48,000 to 81,000 infections in early April – and a three-week lag from infection to death – the 100 deaths suggest that the infection fatality rate is between 0.12% and 0.2%. 

That's a far contrast from the county's mortality rate based on official cases and deaths as of April 17 -- 3.9%.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I see they are giving away barrels of oil right now.
    So we got that going for us, which is very nice.
    I guess.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options

What would flu mortality be without vaccines?

It will be interesting to see the antibody test results on large numbers to see a better estimate of the contagion and reevaluate the mortality. And if that number is a large amount of people who had it and recovered are now immune. The herd immunity with vaccines is preferable but it’s a ways off, if large numbers are now immune they could go back to work safely . 
    Jacksonville FL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I used to find Chris Clizza's recaps of Trumps news conferences funny.

Not anymore...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-task-force-sunday/index.html
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I see they are giving away barrels of oil right now.
    So we got that going for us, which is very nice.
    I guess.
    Sarcasm I hope....Ain’t nice for any of us. Our economy hinges heavily on petroleum overall. This will kill many families financially, shudder businesses, crush the economy for multiple cities along the gulf coast
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I used to find Chris Clizza's recaps of Trumps news conferences funny.

Not anymore...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-task-force-sunday/index.html
    Agreed.  They're just unhinged rant-fests at this point.  I don't know why the media is continuing to broadcast them live.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dobie said:

It will be interesting to see the antibody test results on large numbers to see a better estimate of the contagion and reevaluate the mortality. And if that number is a large amount of people who had it and recovered are now immune. The herd immunity with vaccines is preferable but it’s a ways off, if large numbers are now immune they could go back to work safely . 
    We’ll need reliable antibody tests at scale to pull this off.  I think that’s still very much a work in progress.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Dobie said:

We’ll need reliable antibody tests at scale to pull this off.  I think that’s still very much a work in progress.
    I love the disagree flag.  So, we won’t need reliable tests?  Or we won’t need lots of them?  Or they’re not still a work in progress?  I am a so confused by whomever seems to be so confused.  

They have to be reliable and they have to be specific to antibodies to THIS virus, not another corona virus.  It’s also not clear what immunity ends up looking like here, how long it will last, if it will be different from getting the virus vs a vaccine, etc.  So many unknowns still.  No silver bullets, it’s a process that we have to let the medical community follow.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Ok, now this is funny. from that article:

Kemp announced that gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, hair designers, nail care artists, estheticians and massage therapists can reopen their doors on Friday, April 24 — as long as owners follow strict social distancing and hygiene requirements.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Legume said:
    Dobie said:

I love the disagree flag.  So, we won’t need reliable tests?  Or we won’t need lots of them?  Or they’re not still a work in progress?  I am a so confused by whomever seems to be so confused.  

They have to be reliable and they have to be specific to antibodies to THIS virus, not another corona virus.  It’s also not clear what immunity ends up looking like here, how long it will last, if it will be different from getting the virus vs a vaccine, etc.  So many unknowns still.  No silver bullets, it’s a process that we have to let the medical community follow.
    I almost hit "Disagree" but remembered I'm a rational person.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Dobie said:
    Ok, now this is funny. from that article:

Kemp announced that gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, hair designers, nail care artists, estheticians and massage therapists can reopen their doors on Friday, April 24 — as long as owners follow strict social distancing and hygiene requirements.

Kemp is one of those Governors who remind you that the American gene pool could benefit from a healthy dose of bleach.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Dobie said:

We have folks on here who believe heart disease is contagious.  I'm just saying...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Legume said:
    Dobie said:

We have folks on here who believe heart disease is contagious.  I'm just saying...
    I'm 90% sure that comment was meant in a "I'm at higher risk for heart disease because I hang out with people that eat too much and drink too much and especially eat a lot of smoked red meat" sort of way.

I think it just came up when you were in one of your "I have a need to insult someone's intelligence" spells...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Legume said:
    Dobie said:

I'm 90% sure that comment was meant in a "I'm at higher risk for heart disease because I hang out with people that eat too much and drink too much and especially eat a lot of smoked red meat" sort of way.

I think it just came up when you were in one of your "I have a need to insult someone's intelligence" spells...
    I’m in the 10% camp. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Legume said:
    Dobie said:

I'm sure you're right Dan. 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,362
    Options
    The Dear Almighty Leader is ranting again. 
    Las Vegas, NV