Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:
    Ike said:
    Ditch Mitch!
    I wish it would happen soon. Rand Paul too. That guy is a Trump wannabe.

Get Matt Jones's book on Mitch....."Mitch Please!" to understand how he has divided this country and sold out his Commonwealth and America, using hate as his only message. It offers a very realistic look at what politics has become during his time as Senator.

House vs Home. His house is not far from my home. We live less than one block from his house.

He has a house here to fulfill a legal obligation for being a senator. He is very seldom here. We know when he is, the entire area is layered in security. Local and state police, secret service, and his private security detail.

They will stop your car, question you if you are walking close to his home, (as I have been frequently, while walking my dog), and even come to your home.

He will be gone when he loses an election. He has no desire to live in Kentucky, not the way he has left it.
    Amy McGrath is the only candidate that I've sent any donations to, this election cycle.  Her campaign letters/posts on farcebook have always stated she's within 1% of mitch's numbers, but it couldn't be that same exact number month after month.  From where you're standing, Ron, what are her chances?  

I will be sending letters to the editor of all the major papers in Kentucky about a month before the election, pleading for his ouster and signing them "Botch, Capt USAF (Ret), Registered Republican since 1978".  
    She has 0% of winning. Majority of KY is a very conservative Republican State. Trump will campaign strong for Mitch and he will win. Same story every year. 

Don't you have a Democratic Governor?  
    Governors don’t have any real power in this age of Kings.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,512
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ...The only way to get Mitch wedged out is having a republican beat him in the primary. Tough task. The gentleman running against Mitch is a retired Marine officer, farmer, and very intelligent. I went downtown on the steps of Mitch's office to listen to this man. He begged for Mitch to come out and speak to the people gathered outside. He refused.

I will vote for that guy. I think Mitch is a bigger crook than Trump is an idiot.
    Interesting that both republican and democratic challengers are ret. Marine officers.  Thanks, Ron.  

Hello Darkness, my old Friend,

I stood up too fast again...

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    When will Dear Leader Trump get to stage 5 on either?

I suspect on Covid-19 it will be when the second wave starts to crest.

On climate change it won't be until mar a lago is underwater.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

We do, and there is some hope. His numbers in the race changed drastically when Trump flew in to Rally for the former Gov, and the teachers Union then endorsed the democrat.

Trump's rally did the most damage, but I am glad he came in to do it....otherwise we would have had another term with the idiot, that made so many outlandish claims, it made Trump's constant fantasy land look real.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Botch

Doubtful any democrat will ever replace Mitch, as @g8golfer had mentioned previously. Outside of Louisville and Lexington and one area in Northern KY, the rest of the state is in lockstep with Mitch, and it comes down to three things; God, Guns and Babies.

The only way to get Mitch wedged out is having a republican beat him in the primary. Tough task. The gentleman running against Mitch is a retired Marine officer, farmer, and very intelligent. I went downtown on the steps of Mitch's office to listen to this man. He begged for Mitch to come out and speak to the people gathered outside. He refused.

I will vote for that guy. I think Mitch is a bigger crook than Trump is an idiot.
    You’re correct on the God, guns and babies comment. I honestly don’t see Biden beating Trump. Trump will eat him for lunch in the debates and once Biden has a mess up with his words on national TV it’s over. Now with these sexual assault claims coming out against Biden he can’t play that card against Trump. I do like how democrats are the party of diversity but yet the have chosen the old white man with dementia to represent them. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    Options
    Checks are rolling in 

Shhhhh! Don't tell him GWN is giving out $2000 pp every four weeks, for sixteen weeks  ;)
    canuckland
  • YukonRon
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @g8golfer

I do not know. Right now, there are many folks, that care more for the country, than political party. Trump is that reason why that has changed. Many moderates crossed the line to elect him last time, I am not so sure that foothold remains as strong as it was in 2016.

Too many unemployed right now, 401K investments evaporated, the debt increasing more under his administration than any other time in our history....property values decreasing, and his Jan to March denial, which cost thousands of lives, will be remembered, as will his impeachment. 

When people begin to lose homes and cars and their savings go to zero...those who voted for MAGA might not believe that Trump is the right person for America, to be standing at the precipice of recession and likely depression. 

Hillary was as polarizing as it gets to run against. Joe, nowhere near. Remember Hillary had over 2MM more votes. A detested candidate still got more votes than Trump. I chose not to vote for either. That will not happen this election.

We will see. I care for my country and every American too much to consider Trump against anyone, personally. Even if Biden turns out to be the worst candidate facing Trump, he will present a challenge, much greater than Hillary ever hoped to.

Good luck riding the next few months out....stay safe.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • g8golfer
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

I do not know. Right now, there are many folks, that care more for the country, than political party. Trump is that reason why that has changed. Many moderates crossed the line to elect him last time, I am not so sure that foothold remains as strong as it was in 2016.

Too many unemployed right now, 401K investments evaporated, the debt increasing more under his administration than any other time in our history....property values decreasing, and his Jan to March denial, which cost thousands of lives, will be remembered, as will his impeachment. 

When people begin to lose homes and cars and their savings go to zero...those who voted for MAGA might not believe that Trump is the right person for America, to be standing at the precipice of recession and likely depression. 

Hillary was as polarizing as it gets to run against. Joe, nowhere near. Remember Hillary had over 2MM more votes. A detested candidate still got more votes than Trump. I chose not to vote for either. That will not happen this election.

We will see. I care for my country and every American too much to consider Trump against anyone, personally. Even if Biden turns out to be the worst candidate facing Trump, he will present a challenge, much greater than Hillary ever hoped to.

Yes I do agree with some of your statement but before the virus hit 401k was in great shape and the economy was booming. Yes if Trump knew about the virus and didn’t do anything about it then he will be exposed and which he should be. I just don’t understand all the hate for him on the virus. It started in China and we know that 100%. As of today we have 125k deaths around the world from this virus and counting. The US accounts for 25k out of the 125k. Who are you blaming for the other 100k deaths? Trump? You said that someone you knew died from the virus in Italy if I recall? That’s terrible but who’s fault is that? The source of the virus is at fault. Im not defending Trump but I am saying quit blaming him for all the faults of the US and world. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Interesting book that applies to a lot of the Trumpian base - and to a lot of Dems as well certainly. 

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691190785/deaths-of-despair-and-the-future-of-capitalism.

An opinion piece by the authors summarizing part of the book:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/american-capitalism-failing-trump-s-base-white-working-class-deaths-ncna1181456

• g8golfer
    Options
    @YukonRon I will say that I didn’t vote in the KY governors race but I’m extremely proud of the guy we have in office. He’s doing a great job with the virus control. Just look at our numbers compared to OH & TN. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @g8golfer

I blame Trump for what Trump could have controlled but chose not to.

Rest of World is not my number one concern at the moment. In fact, I never blamed him for what this pandemic has done outside of our borders.

Thanks to the rest of the world sending us tools to fight with. His leadership left us unprepared to face this challenge.

When was the last time America was so reliant on the rest of the world to fight our battles at home?

I know what I know. I have relatives in the State department that we visited over Christmas and New Years in Rome. I know the day we were to catch our flight back, Jan 3, the team that was sent to northern Italy was on direct communication with Sec State, and others along with Trump, being told of the danger this virus meant to the world, our citizens and our economy, and the security of our nation.

He did not want to even discuss it.

Believe what you want. Every embassy of ours, in every country affected, the CIA, and the military since November 2019 advised the danger this would bring and urged Trump to take steps to protect America immediately.

He chose not to. He chose to make it political.

Many more Americans are going to die because of his inaction.

Americans have died.

That is why, It is impossible to consider him as a leader for my country.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    edited April 2020
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Yes I do agree with some of your statement but before the virus hit 401k was in great shape and the economy was booming. Yes if Trump knew about the virus and didn’t do anything about it then he will be exposed and which he should be. I just don’t understand all the hate for him on the virus. It started in China and we know that 100%. As of today we have 125k deaths around the world from this virus and counting. The US accounts for 25k out of the 125k. Who are you blaming for the other 100k deaths? Trump? You said that someone you knew died from the virus in Italy if I recall? That’s terrible but who’s fault is that? The source of the virus is at fault. Im not defending Trump but I am saying quit blaming him for all the faults of the US and world. 
    If you have seen someone here or really anywhere else blaming Trump for the spread of the virus in any country besides the US, please share.  Because personally all I see are people trying to hold him accountable for mistakes that were made in the US response, not anywhere else.  So where are you getting this from?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

If you have seen somewhere here blaming Trump for the spread of the virus in any country besides the US, please share.  Because personally all I see are people trying to hold him accountable for mistakes that were made in the US response, not anywhere else. 
    No but it’s always the wrong that’s pointed out. No matter what he does you are going to say it’s his fault. If Trump would have locked the country down when he was first briefed on the virus and then let’s say the virus wasn’t near as bad as they thought then you would say he’s a racist for locking the country down. If he cures cancer you would say “what took him so long.” Hate hate hate is all you preach. It’s going to rain tomorrow so it’s Trumps fault. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

A huge reason the dow and parts of the economy were booming was because the GOP congress forgot they opposed deficit spending once a Republican was in the White House.  Despite a booming economy, deficit spending had increased about $400 billion/year between 2016 (deficit of $584.7 billion) and 2019 (deficit of $984.1 billion), and the FY2020 deficit was projected to top $1 trillion BEFORE we had a national emergency that is going to massively increase this year's deficit. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Acn said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

A huge reason the dow and parts of the economy were booming was because the GOP congress forgot they opposed deficit spending once a Republican was in the White House.  Despite a booming economy, deficit spending had increased about $400 billion/year between 2016 (deficit of $584.7 billion) and 2019 (deficit of $984.1 billion), and the FY2020 deficit was projected to top $1 trillion BEFORE we had a national emergency that is going to massively increase this year's deficit. 

Right.  We should be "making hay while the sun is shining" and not throwing gasoline into an established fire.  Greed is a powerful motivator, and there's not much gasoline left in the tank to deal with this kind of issue.  Oh well.  We reap what we sow.

</end metaphoric diatribe>

Options
    Acn said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Right.  We should be "making hay while the sun is shining" and not throwing gasoline into an established fire.  Greed is a powerful motivator, and there's not much gasoline left in the tank to deal with this kind of issue.  Oh well.  We reap what we sow.

Let’s hear your plan on how to fix this issue? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

If you have seen somewhere here blaming Trump for the spread of the virus in any country besides the US, please share.  Because personally all I see are people trying to hold him accountable for mistakes that were made in the US response, not anywhere else. 
    No but it’s always the wrong that’s pointed out. No matter what he does you are going to say it’s his fault. If Trump would have locked the country down when he was first briefed on the virus and then let’s say the virus wasn’t near as bad as they thought then you would say he’s a racist for locking the country down. If he cures cancer you would say “what took him so long.” Hate hate hate is all you preach. It’s going to rain tomorrow so it’s Trumps fault. 
    You: people are blaming Trump for the problems of the entire world.
    Me: Who is doing that?  Folks are just holding him accountable for mistakes in the US response.
    You: Well OK nobody is actually blaming him for everything but why are you only complaining about Trump?  Why can't you praise him for all the awesome things he's done?
    Me: 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Me: Who is doing that?  Folks are just holding him accountable for mistakes in the US response.
    You: Well OK nobody is actually blaming him for everything but why are you only complaining about Trump?  Why can't you praise him for all the awesome things he's done?
    Me: 
    You: Trump is terrible. I hate him. He’s a racist. He’s an idiot. He’s orange. 
    Me: Wow John why all the hate? 
    You: Because that’s what I’m suppose to do. I didn’t vote for him and he won. So I have to hate him. 
    Me: WTF?
    You: And he should have stopped the virus in China in Nov when it started. He’s killed 25k Americans. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina just admit no matter what he does good or bad that you will always hate? I will openly admit he’s says some really dumb stuff publicly speaking. I even shake my head and say WTF? He’s made some terrible moves and some smart moves. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Acn said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Well, one good start would be to not give trillion dollar tax cuts to the people who need it the least.

Glib answer aside - do something that nobody actually wants to do and work to balance the budget, which requires some combination of increased revenue and reduced spending.  Politicians (of both parties) obviously don't want to do this, because the end result of increasing taxes or reducing services will be them getting voted out of office, because the vast majority of people don't want to pay more or get less, even if it might be the best thing for the country.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    @g8golfer - is @milesvdustin your other troll account?

• g8golfer
    Options
    @g8golfer - is @milesvdustin your other troll account?

No. Are you @JohnInCarolina troll account? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Acn said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Happily, I will provide it.  It's the obvious. Not in any particular order.

1. Create or enable a central organization to coordinate with all state and local governments a commissary system that supplies PPE, Vents, sanitizers, meds and other supplies needed to save lives based on the projected needs from the front lines.

2. This organization should utilize the 1950 war powers act that was enacted by Trump but not significantly used to meet the projected needs of the front line responders, including police, EMS and the medical community.  Sign contracts with the government to convert factories and our manufacturing industry to ramp up production like we're in WWII and making B17 bombers.

3. Train people who have immunity on basic respiratory medicine to be used to treat people who are sick as the medical community falls ill and the numbers increase to overwhelm hospitals. 

4. Work with Apple/Google, etc to design an app everyone has that identifies symptoms and tracks social interactions to mitigate community spread.

5. Ramp up production through the war powers act to get every company capable of manufacturing quick tests for the virus and for the antibody to rapidly make available categorical determinations of who is sick, or immune (to the extent we know) to work the supply chain and keep the manufacturing of critical supplies and the food chain running.

6. Give whatever support/money necessary that will accelerate an immunization solution, because, until we get 60% herd immunity, which comes with a terrible cost, we will not be able to "open up" society.

7. Speedtrack visas for foreign workers to harvest crops and keep the food supply chain moving.

8. Work with other countries because the food supply is a global equation.

9. Let statisticians and experts do the talking and use our expertise and history, and not a narcissistic d!ck sucking fest presser to give people good information and stop the confusion that just costs us grandma.

10. Etc.

Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Me: 
    You: Trump is terrible. I hate him. He’s a racist. He’s an idiot. He’s orange. 
    Me: Wow John why all the hate? 
    You: Because that’s what I’m suppose to do. I didn’t vote for him and he won. So I have to hate him. 
    Me: WTF?
    You: And he should have stopped the virus in China in Nov when it started. He’s killed 25k Americans. 
    I don't even know where to start with this.  It's a ridiculous distortion/caricature of my views.  

Goodbye now.
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Acn said:
    g8golfer said:
    YukonRon said:
    @g8golfer

Happily, I will provide it.  It's the obvious. Not in any particular order.

1. Create or enable a central organization to coordinate with all state and local governments a commissary system that supplies PPE, Vents, sanitizers, meds and other supplies needed to save lives based on the projected needs from the front lines.

2. This organization should utilize the 1950 war powers act that was enacted by Trump but not significantly used to meet the projected needs of the front line responders, including police, EMS and the medical community.  Sign contracts with the government to convert factories and our manufacturing industry to ramp up production like we're in WWII and making B17 bombers.

3. Train people who have immunity on basic respiratory medicine to be used to treat people who are sick as the medical community falls ill and the numbers increase to overwhelm hospitals. 

4. Work with Apple/Google, etc to design an app everyone has that identifies symptoms and tracks social interactions to mitigate community spread.

5. Ramp up production through the war powers act to get every company capable of manufacturing quick tests for the virus and for the antibody to rapidly make available categorical determinations of who is sick, or immune (to the extent we know) to work the supply chain and keep the manufacturing of critical supplies and the food chain running.

6. Give whatever support/money necessary that will accelerate an immunization solution, because, until we get 60% herd immunity, which comes with a terrible cost, we will not be able to "open up" society.

7. Speedtrack visas for foreign workers to harvest crops and keep the food supply chain moving.

8. Work with other countries because the food supply is a global equation.

9. Let statisticians and experts do the talking and use our expertise and history, and not a narcissistic d!ck sucking fest presser to give people good information and stop the confusion that just costs us grandma.

10. Etc.

Not going to lie that’s a great plan 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    Options
    Checks are rolling in 

Shhhhh! Don't tell him GWN is giving out $2000 pp every four weeks, for sixteen weeks  ;)
    2000 Canadian dollars is like $80 right? 😉
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is going to go on for probably 18 months, we need some leadership and a plan so we don't have 1-3 million dead Americans.  I don't think most of you realize the gravity of this situation.  It's not a political issue, it's a medical and policy issue with economic repercussions that needs mitigation, because the solution is way far off.
    Yep.  We need something approaching a Manhattan-project level of innovation and leadership/coordination in response to this.  
  • g8golfer
    Options
    This is going to go on for probably 18 months, we need some leadership and a plan so we don't have 1-3 million dead Americans.  I don't think most of you realize the gravity of this situation.  It's not a political issue, it's a medical and policy issue with economic repercussions that needs mitigation, because the solution is way far off.
    Oh I understand completely. My wife is a nurse and goes into this war zone daily. We live in a rural area so we haven’t seen to many cases yet but it’s coming and we know it.