Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If it wasn’t real for you yet

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    JonWesson said:
    those on deathbed ask for help nicely can be for sure.   but answer is no due to why.    those that could have did not prepare usa  to give help.
    What fvckin language is this?  I don't understand it at all.
    Tequila Tuesday?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    This page has some interesting/worrying charts...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    USA has now moved up, trailing only China and Italy, for populations infected with the Covid19.

A 20% jump in 24 hours. Largest increase of any country on earth during that time span.

Yep, cheeto has this under control.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    Options
    google translate, sorry.  those dying ask nice to be saved, savers not able to say yes and give help, because those in charge in us government ignore problems from jan to march
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok, I can understand that and agree
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Cases means nothing given that only a small subset is being tested. Local jurisdictions are abandoning mass testing for the most part. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Cases means nothing given that only a small subset is being tested. Local jurisdictions are abandoning mass testing for the most part. 
    Abandoned or not, we climbing the stat pole.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Abandoned or not, we climbing the stat pole.
    It’s a misleading indicator as to the severity of the pandemic. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Unfortunately the only really useful statistic right now in terms of checking the way the pandemic is evolving in the US is the number of deaths.   When that stops doubling as quickly as it has been, it’ll be an indication that things are starting to slow down.  And if it doesn’t, well...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Unfortunately the only really useful statistic right now in terms of checking the way the pandemic is evolving in the US is the number of deaths.   When that stops doubling as quickly as it has been, it’ll be an indication that things are starting to slow down.  And if it doesn’t, well...
    Yes.  However, the mortality rate will increase dramatically as a percentage of infected as the health care capacity is saturated.   This has happened already in North Italy and we damn close in New Orleans and NYC.

The lackadaisical attitude people have because they have been gas lighted into not believing in science is going to be a topic of discussion of the survivors for decades.  Hopefully history will be a lesson learned rather than repeated out of ignorance.  I'm not that optimistic though.
    Options
    Samuel Clements once said "There are 3 kinds of lies; Lies, Dămned Lies and statistics.

The numbers I am following are cases that have been closed, either by a patient's death, or release due to no longer carrying the virus. That number is 85% surviving, 15% dead.

That number can, and will change, drastically the longer this virus is around.

But for my money, right now, that is a statistic I choose to watch more than cases reported and updated deaths.

Currently 96% of all the cases in progress are listed as moderate...with only 4% critical, or likely to die. Those numbers change over night and in fact, the CDC and the WHO as well as the NIH with a likelyhood of 25% of the moderate cases active currently to go ctitical....and 80% of those people dying due to underlying health issues, age and other factors such as blood type and whether they are male or female.

I dunno. I hope they are wrong. Real data or not, it is being tracked.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Cases in the US now means newly infected rich and connected people plus regular folks sick enough to need a vent.  
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Samuel Clements once said "There are 3 kinds of lies; Lies, Dămned Lies and statistics.

The numbers I am following are cases that have been closed, either by a patient's death, or release due to no longer carrying the virus. That number is 85% surviving, 15% dead.

But for my money, right now, that is a statistic I choose to watch more than cases reported and updated deaths.

Currently 96% of all the cases in progress are listed as moderate...with only 4% critical, or likely to die. Those numbers change over night and in fact, the CDC and the WHO as well as the NIH with a likelyhood of 25% of the moderate cases active currently to go ctitical....and 80% of those people dying due to underlying health issues, age and other factors such as blood type and whether they are male or female.

Still, the 15% mortality rate in those numbers are skewed. Nobody is getting tested. So far in the state of Nevada, the tests are going to those in close contact with other positive tests. It is nearly impossible for new tests to be done. A lady my wife works with began feeling sick around 10 days ago. She just got a test today. She was told her results would be in in 5-7 days. Luckily she self quarentined when she began feeling sick. No telling how many people she gave it to prior.

The state just got clearance to begin producing testing methods outside of the FDA. Hopefully more tests can be done. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    Options
    So the 2 TRILLION DOLLAR gift package was wrapped (no pun intended) just a few minutes ago. Final text of the bill not released yet. I'm sure everyone left the Capitol happy as a clam.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Eoin said:

A good read. Thanks.
    "that Pyongyang-on-the-Potomac style" cracked me up. Every time Pence speaks about Trump I can't help but picture North Korean newscaster Ri Chun Hee doing her thing.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Eoin said:

A good read. Thanks.
    "that Pyongyang-on-the-Potomac style" cracked me up. Every time Pence speaks about Trump I can't help but picture North Korean newscaster Ri Chun Hee doing her thing.

Yes, a bit wordy but worth the effort.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Legume said:
    I can’t wait for “no president has ever opened a country up faster than me”

If federal isn’t mandating closing anything outside of federal functions, how will it open anything?
    Not sure the governors are listening much less care what he has to say.
    They would appear to care about masks and ventilators right now.
    Glad they do. Cheeto apparently does not.
    To the disagree. I realize it may be hard but man up and join the disco, or not and prove me right. 
    I'll just requote the call to man up for the benefit of the most recent anonymous flaggers.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I’ve always been wary of the medical profession. This just fuels my fire. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/states-doctors-stockpiling-trial-coronavirus-190038095.html
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options

https://www.yahoo.com/news/states-doctors-stockpiling-trial-coronavirus-190038095.html
    Bad apples in every industry and fear can bring out the worst.  It’s just a different flavor of mask hoarding.
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Still, the 15% mortality rate in those numbers are skewed. Nobody is getting tested. So far in the state of Nevada, the tests are going to those in close contact with other positive tests. It is nearly impossible for new tests to be done. A lady my wife works with began feeling sick around 10 days ago. She just got a test today. She was told her results would be in in 5-7 days. Luckily she self quarantined when she began feeling sick. No telling how many people she gave it to prior.

The state just got clearance to begin producing testing methods outside of the FDA. Hopefully more tests can be done. 
    I get your point. In my areas of responsibilities, I also do work for the healthcare industry, we help build things like antimicrobial coatings, sanitary cleaning chemicals, and other items nobody thinks about until these events occur.

We look at a couple of indicators: 

Active cases, the extent of the infected population and degree (mild vs. serious or critical)

Closed cases the actual number of recoveries vs deaths in a dynamic pandemic such as Corovid19.

Call the numbers skewed all you want but the current measured relationship of recovery versus death, is currently 85% vs. 15%.....globally. We are an international company. We have to take those numbers into account.

We understand the potential population infected is likely 3-4x more (a very conservative number) but that is an active situation. 

The numbers are real, as was stated initially, these are CLOSED case comparisons, ACTIVE cases are measured separately. As they recover, or die they are added to the closed cases.

These are global numbers thus far, and yes due to the lack of leadership and action taken, we are behind the curve in the USA, so these numbers will greatly impact the ACTIVE cases, and eventually the CLOSED cases as well.

These are numbers posted. There are ACTIVE cases ongoing, the numbers you have commented on are COMPLETED cases of those recovered vs those who passed. That number will be impacted hopefully with a more forward action plan.

These numbers are constantly changing, and the total dead from this virus will surpass 20,000 today, globally.

We are well past "what should have been done" ....we are now into only... "what can be done."

Not a great way to fight a virus of this magnitude.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

This is so real. We have seen similar on our end, although much more muted.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Eoin said:
    This was very much worth the time to read.

Thank you for posting.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

somewhat surprising, given the lack of evidence that hydroxychloroquine is effective as treatment.

But I'd hold off on getting one's knickers in a bundle. How different is it from doctors writing antibiotics prescriptions for family or self? Folks can often see their doctor, or walk into almost any urgent care type of place,  and leave with a prescription for antibiotics . For the right or wrong reasons. And by the way, MD's aren't the only ones writing prescriptions - NPs and PA do to. 

I'd probably get some for myself if I knew it was effective. I can't really work from home, and risk exposure daily. Caliqueen stopped just short of saying she wants to burn my clothes when I get home every day. 

Just hoping that whatever measures are being taken will make a difference. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

Still, the 15% mortality rate in those numbers are skewed. Nobody is getting tested. So far in the state of Nevada, the tests are going to those in close contact with other positive tests. It is nearly impossible for new tests to be done. A lady my wife works with began feeling sick around 10 days ago. She just got a test today. She was told her results would be in in 5-7 days. Luckily she self quarantined when she began feeling sick. No telling how many people she gave it to prior.

I get your point. In my areas of responsibilities, I also do work for the healthcare industry, we help build things like antimicrobial coatings, sanitary cleaning chemicals, and other items nobody thinks about until these events occur.

We look at a couple of indicators: 

Active cases, the extent of the infected population and degree (mild vs. serious or critical)

Closed cases the actual number of recoveries vs deaths in a dynamic pandemic such as Corovid19.

Call the numbers skewed all you want but the current measured relationship of recovery versus death, is currently 85% vs. 15%.....globally. We are an international company. We have to take those numbers into account.

We understand the potential population infected is likely 3-4x more (a very conservative number) but that is an active situation. 

The numbers are real, as was stated initially, these are CLOSED case comparisons, ACTIVE cases are measured separately. As they recover, or die they are added to the closed cases.

These are global numbers thus far, and yes due to the lack of leadership and action taken, we are behind the curve in the USA, so these numbers will greatly impact the ACTIVE cases, and eventually the CLOSED cases as well.

These are numbers posted. There are ACTIVE cases ongoing, the numbers you have commented on are COMPLETED cases of those recovered vs those who passed. That number will be impacted hopefully with a more forward action plan.

These numbers are constantly changing, and the total dead from this virus will surpass 20,000 today, globally.

We are well past "what should have been done" ....we are now into only... "what can be done."

Not a great way to fight a virus of this magnitude.
    So did your company start ramping up production in January to help meet the demand of China and Europe while also planning to have to meet the demand in the US?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL