Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If it wasn’t real for you yet

Options

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,354
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,499
    Options
    Question for @Caliking or anyone else with medical knowledge:
    Sen. Rand Paul has tested positive for the virus, and is quarantined for 14 days.  He is "asymptomatic", not feeling sick, but still carries the virus and can spread it to others.  
    My question is: if the body isn't adversely affected by a new virus, would it still develop antibodies to kill it off?  Or will it just "allow" it to live, and maybe not kill it off at all?  (biology was not my strong subject)  
    Off to wikipedia to read up on "Typhoid Mary"....

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,499
    Options
    Botch said:

Off to wikipedia to read up on "Typhoid Mary"....
    Oh HELL!  "Typhoid" Mary Mallon was quarantined three separate times over her lifetime!  
    Well, wait.  They're releasing folks after two negative test results, so apparently the body does kill off Coronavirus?  Can we safely assume this is true for all people?  Still nervous...

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    National Guard has been called up to support NY, WA, CA. 

By the way, WaPo is reporting the president was advised of the seriousness, and the threat this virus meant to the US, back in January. It was scary enough to make several people of our congress to dump stocks, with insider info. He refused to act on behalf of our country and our citizens.

This was CIA intel as well as state dept intel.

So here we are.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If it still isn't real for you yet, check your state on this tracker:
    https://covidactnow.org/
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Options
    These large corporations that have bought back there stock over the last few years shouldn't get taxpayers bailout money, they have capital in there purchased stock buybacks,  yes they might sell at a loss but isn't a risk we all take.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Botch it depends what phase of infection you’re testing for. 

For example, for things like Epstein Barr virus ( causes mono) you’ll test positive for certain antibodies while you have an active infection, and another subclass of antibodies ramps up after you beat it. If you test positive for the acute (immediate/current infection) immunoglobulin M antibodies, or positive per whatever test is being used to test for active infection, that means you still have the infection. For EBV, you'll likely test positive for the "recovery phase" antibodies  (immunoglobulin G) for the rest of your life. This is a very simplistic example, as I don't know the ins and outs of COVID-testing, serology, etc.

Convalescent serum therapy i.e. treat patients with the serum from those who have recovered, is being considered for treatment of COVID-19, but I don't know how far along that plan is. 

Disclaimer - I'm not an epidemiologist or infectious disease expert. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Botch said:
    NorthPilot06 said:
    And the lending market has dried up significantly - you can still find money out there, and the airlines are, but there is a hefty price tag associated with it. 
    Um, didn't the Federal Reserve lower the Prime Lending Rate to near-zero, just a couple weeks ago?  :confused:  The airlines should be able to borrow whatever they need.
    Of course, anything borrowed would have to be paid back; taxpayer funds would not.  
    That’s a target rate used for overnight transactions, not something that anyone has access to. There’s a huge risk premium attached to $$$ being loaned these days. 

Think of it this way, if you ask for a quote on a 30-year mortgage today, even with the Fed funds rate at ~0, the quote is going to be for 3% +/- 0.25%. That reflects the banks risk tolerance (among many, many other things)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Botch said:
    NorthPilot06 said:
    And the lending market has dried up significantly - you can still find money out there, and the airlines are, but there is a hefty price tag associated with it. 
    Um, didn't the Federal Reserve lower the Prime Lending Rate to near-zero, just a couple weeks ago?  :confused:  The airlines should be able to borrow whatever they need.
    Of course, anything borrowed would have to be paid back; taxpayer funds would not.  
    That’s a target rate used for overnight transactions, not something that anyone has access to. There’s a huge risk premium attached to $$$ being loaned these days. 

Think of it this way, if you ask for a quote on a 30-year mortgage today, even with the Fed funds rate at ~0, the quote is going to be for 3% +/- 0.25%. That reflects the banks risk tolerance (among many, many other things)

The Airlines for America airline lobby group originally requested a 50 billion dollar package about half of which was to be a straight out grant, aka gift. The rest would have been thru loans. As of a couple days ago the package that was on the table was that there would be no "gifts" to the airlines but they would be able to borrow up to 58 billion from the Treasury Department thru collateralized loans. The interest rate would probably be zero or very close to that.
    Not sure what is on the table in the Senate tonight (and parts of the package are likely to change by morning) but there is not widespread sentiment in either party.

One quote from a couple days ago:
    “We are not bailing out the airlines or other industries — period,” said Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard C. Shelby, R-Ala. “Instead, we are allowing the Treasury Secretary to make or guarantee collateralized loans to industries whose operations the coronavirus outbreak has jeopardized."

The upcoming recession will actually be doing the airlines a favor as it will really lessen the pilot shortage they are otherwise facing. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

Did you have a break in?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:

Did you have a break in?
    Right, no.  Just never got used to it.  Hurt my neck trying to see forward.  Ran like a bat outta hell, emphasis on hell.
    Options

Options
    Guess it's a little worse than the flu insofar as the hospitals.
    Options
    That's in New Orleans,  btw.
    Options
    All you partisan f*cks that keep flagging my posts and don't think this is serious sh!t will get their dose of karma,  I'm sorry to say.  Science is real.
    edited March 2020
    Options
    While many on here have different views, and some of us like to spar.

This is real. It is my opinion from what I have read, this originated from the Chinese wet markets where butchering is allowed in an uncontrolled environment. I also believe in God, and I'm not going to test him with the stance..." It's just the flu"

So friends and foes alike, stay "negative", because being "positive" could really suck.

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    billt01 said:

This is real. It is my opinion from what I have read, this originated from the Chinese wet markets where butchering is allowed in an uncontrolled environment. I also believe in God, and I'm not going to test him with the stance..." It's just the flu"

So friends and foes alike, stay "negative", because being "positive" could really suck.

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps
    If I understand your meaning, it seems as though you are taking a pessimistic view (i.e., expecting bad things to happen). It is possible to be both pessimistic and positive (i.e., choosing to focus on the good).
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    billt01 said:

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps
    If I understand your meaning, it seems as though you are taking a pessimistic view (i.e., expecting bad things to happen). It is possible to be both pessimistic and positive (i.e., choosing to focus on the good).

The problem is that ICU capacity is limited and running out.  See Nola's post above. Same in London, they are getting closer to capacity, even if trying to extend it. When that happens, people start dying.  Fast.  See Italy and Spain. So, to echo @billt01

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps

And help out the emergency services people where you can. Their lives are going to suck for a while now.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps

The problem is that ICU capacity is limited and running out.  See Nola's post above. Same in London, they are getting closer to capacity, even if trying to extend it. When that happens, people start dying.  Fast.  See Italy and Spain. So, to echo @billt01

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps

And help out the emergency services people where you can. Their lives are going to suck for a while now.
    I have not said that things won’t be dire. Only that pessimism and positivity are not mutually exclusive concepts. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,539
    Options
    billt01 said:

#6_feet_m_effer
    #stay_healthy_peeps
    "negative" = no covid
    "positive" = covid

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,368
    Options
    The Governor came out and said that his non-essential business ban included liquor stores and dispensaries. Add that to closing of gaming. For a state of addictive personalities, that was a big kick in the nuts.
    Las Vegas, NV

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    This is not a political post. I just found this humorous.....

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,022
    Options
    NC has closed schools until May 15
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    Not the only one, Romney tested positive also.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Can anyone explain to me why we’re seriously looking at bailing out cruise liners?  How does that make a lick of sense?
    Because of Florida. It’s a huge industry there and he wants to win Florida. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,448
    Options
    NC has closed schools until May 15
    Pushed ours back till April 20, I’m sure it’ll end up for the year as well. What happens to those kids that shouldn’t move up? There’s zero latitude here. What happens to those kids graduating, or depending on a sports season to get them into the college of their dreams on a scholarship that will most likely be rescinded? Where does the DOE stand on all of this?