Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I've been enjoying this meme lately, with MANY different lines, but always wondered where the original photos came from.  
    On the news tonight, it was announced that Real Housewives (a show I haven't seen) is "opening" here in Salt Lake City, with a high interest in the "religious culture".  They included a filmed "food fight" from the show and I recognized the left photo (I didn't see the cat, but the place-setting looked familiar).  So, that's what its from.  
    I guess I can die peacefully now?    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    The cats name is smudge 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just whipped up a jalapeño paste in my molcajete. I’m finally getting decent at using this thing 👍

Now throw in a big handful of cilantro and grind it (not quite) into a paste, then 1/2 cup sour cream + 1/2 cup mayonnaise and the juice of a lime or two. Put it in a squeeze bottle. We love the stuff. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Botch said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Spicy pickled onions recipe please @Dyal_SC

Sweet & Spicy Pickled Onions
    * From Cooks Illustrated
    The onions can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Ingredients

medium red onion, halved and sliced thin
    cup red wine vinegar
     cup sugar
    jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and cut into rings
    ¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions

~ Place the onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring the vinegar, sugar, jalapeños, and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onion, cover loosely, and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. When cool, drain and discard the liquid and serve the onions.

Hmmm, I've made this recipe a couple times, but I did it wrong!  I sliced the onions and stuffed them into a glass jar, and poured the rest on top, cooled, sealed, and put in the frig.  I've used them for maybe a month, they eventually turn purple/brown and I tossed the (few) remainders.  
    Haven't died yet, so will continue to use them this way.  
    Lol, glad to hear. Mine never make it past a week regardless. Too delicious. 😋
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @botch I do it your way.  They stay in the fridge until I eat them all.  Never had them go bad.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I think I'd be just fine with an electric, SUV-style Mustang, if only they'd made it a drop-top!  
    I believe only Range Rover makes a convertible SUV, but it costs more than my house so I'm out, there...   :s

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @SGH Do you know where to find a good metate y mano?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    If you are not in a hurry for it I am going to try and ship one home by DHL in December from Oaxaca when I am down there. If you are interested in one I will ship 2 of them ole buddy. One for you and one for me 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    SGH said:
    SciAggie said:
    If you are not in a hurry for it I am going to try and ship one home by DHL in December from Oaxaca when I am down there. If you are interested in one I will ship 2 of them ole buddy. One for you and one for me 👍
    That sounds like a plan my friend. You can message me about details when the time comes. As you know finding one to use rather than a crude piece for tourists to buy is a bit difficult. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    @SciAggie
    Text me your phone number my friend. I lost all of my contacts. I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon. 
    228-627-5400

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Just picked up a couple local akoushi wagyu ribeyes , 4 prime brisket birgers, and some breakfast sausage. 
    You eaten the ribeyes yet?  Just got the email yesterday and haven't had time to get over there to pick some up.
    I ended up freezing them and finally got to cook one Saturday night. We had some friends over so it got cut up for snacks for them to try but it was really good. Even the thick fat came out really good and the beef flavor was good. Hope you grabbed some if not you should if they run them again. I got rubbed it then smoked till 120 then seared. No finished pics cause it was gone as soon as I put it down. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I finally got my small molcajete seasoned to my liking. Fixing to start working on my large one 👍

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Fellows this larger molcajete is bad a$$. At first I did not think that I would like it because of its large size and weight. But man this bad boy will really grind. It took only about 90 seconds to turn a double handful of raw white rice to powder. It my smaller one it takes several minutes and a great deal of effort. If you are considering getting a molcajete for yourself, go ahead and get a larger one. Trust me on this one. 

This large one is a grinding machine 👍

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    SGH said:
    Fellows this larger molcajete is bad a$$. At first I did not think that I would like it because of its large size and weight. But man this bad boy will really grind. It took only about 90 seconds to turn a double handful of raw white rice to powder. It my smaller one it takes several minutes and a great deal of effort. If you are considering getting a molcajete for yourself, go ahead and get a larger one. Trust me on this one. 

how big is the large one.  my morter and pestle is too smooth infact for seasoning i did it like castiron and mostly use it for heated nacho cheese
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    @SGH how does it clean up, looks like it would be a PITA 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    Options
    how big is the large one. 
    8 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @SGH how does it clean up, looks like it would be a PITA 
    Once seasoned you simply rinse it with hot water. If you season them correctly they clean up no problem at all. Simply run hot water in them. That’s it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @fishlessman
    Be very cautious ordering then. There are a lot of fakes out there made out of concrete or a mixture of concrete and granite. They are useless for grinding and cooking my friend. They are good for ornamental purposes only. 
    You can get a legitimate basalt, Mexican made molcajete here. They are the real deal. 

Here is a picture to give you an idea of their sizes.
    Small one:

Large one:

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fishlessman
    Be very cautious ordering then. There are a lot of fakes out there made out of concrete or a mixture of concrete and granite. They are useless for grinding and cooking my friend. They are good for ornamental purposes only. 
    You can get a legitimate basalt, Mexican made molcajete here. They are the real deal. 

Here is a picture to give you an idea of their sizes.
    Small one:

Large one:

that would be crazy if i paid 3k and it was concrete =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    SGH said:

@SGH I would like to thank this forum for once again leading me to spend money on something until now I didn't know I needed  ;).  I could make small batches of my salsa and the green sauce I'm trying to replicate in small batches.  
    I just sent a link to my wife for a stocking stuffer gift. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SGH
    Options
    Eoin said:
    My brother the problem is sometimes the seller shows a legitimate molcajete in the pictures but it does not necessarily mean that is what they will send you. I wish I could tell you if if that place is legit or not. With that said the link I posted above to mexgrocer is certainly legit. Good luck my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    It’s been a ruff day. First I learn that the new performance review process at work is no longer a five minute process. I then learn that The Doobie Brothers will be touring in the area celebrating their 50th anniversary (a good thing right), well hell, damn if they don’t have Michael McDonald touring with them (he sux And ruined the band for a while in my opinion). 

If this wasn't bad enough, I learn that Publix will no longer be carrying Neeses Country Sausage. Can’t fathom the holidays without this staple. I may never smile again. Might have a drank tonight.
    You live a tough life, Clark. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Listening to the “meditation station” on Alexa, catching up on the forum, and attempting to dissolve the shrill twin baby scream headache. The 2 at once thing will getcha. 🤯😂