Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kingsford, Gulf Lite, Weber. Greatness

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
We are at the beach this week. Weber Jumbo Joe is my weapon of choice for the travel rig. Cheap, light weight, heats up fast, cools off faster, does not matter if it falls off the truck. 

Got a bag of Kingsford “professional” (because it was $3 more and I’m a pro :lol: ) and some sweet, sweet old school Gulf Lite just like my dad used by the bucket load in the 70’s. The smell has not changed a bit. 

fajitas tonight. Turned out great (despite the drunk after pics)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    It’s not about the tools. My favorite burgers that I’ve ever made were frozen patties with American cheese on a grill not that different from yours. Can’t explain it  :)

enjoy the VC!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I still use my 3 Weber kettles at times, because there are certain foods that they cook the best!  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I’d bet that smell triggers good memories for just about everyone over 40.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’d bet that smell triggers good memories for just about everyone over 40.
    It did. And the whole neighborhood knew someone was burning some meat somewhere. That $hit travels! 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Cooking food. Making memories. Remembering good times with friends and family. Sounds like a wonderful vacation. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Buy some beef short ribs, scroll down to @caliking's instructions and do what he says. I used lump, but apparently briquettes work too. You can thank us later!

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1218822/beef-ribs-help-please/p1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Buy some beef short ribs, scroll down to @caliking's instructions and do what he says. I used lump, but apparently briquettes work too. You can thank us later!

I have some wagyu shorties from a shady parking lot deal but I was overridden for other menu choices this week. Fajitas tonight, chicken tikka masala tomorrow (with saag paneer and Chana masala) and Korean bbq grilled at the table tomorrow. And a ton of **** beach dogs in between. Was hoping to get the shorties on the Korean bbq menu but it was not to be. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I went out back tonight to put some recycling in the bin and caught a whiff of lighter fluid. Hit me right in the feels. I have a bottle that my wife bought for my first egg that is unopened. Might have to get some blue bag and have a hot dog party.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Two American icons right there brother Tex. Cesar Hernandez approves of Gulf Lite and Kingsford. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I went out back tonight to put some recycling in the bin and caught a whiff of lighter fluid. Hit me right in the feels. I have a bottle that my wife bought for my first egg that is unopened. Might have to get some blue bag and have a hot dog party.
    It was glorious. I will light that thing with Gulf Lite 2x a day for the next 3 days. Can’t wait. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex, I must concur. There is something mesmerizing about the smell of Gulf Lite and Kingsford burning on a Weber. It is almost magical. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I have some wagyu shorties from a shady parking lot deal but I was overridden for other menu choices this week. Fajitas tonight, chicken tikka masala tomorrow (with saag paneer and Chana masala) and Korean bbq grilled at the table tomorrow. And a ton of **** beach dogs in between. Was hoping to get the shorties on the Korean bbq menu but it was not to be. 
    Which beach is this? I could clear my schedule for that menu...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Please post up your CTM meal if sober!  We have been trying to replicate a local restaurant's CTM and have not been successful  (I doubt we ever will be, as any other Indian resturant's CTM does not compare).  We have tried over 50 times. Have fun!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Love this post. Since I discovered starter cubes and paper towels soaked in vegetable oil I haven’t used lighter fluid in any grill just based on my acquired aversion to it - based on the BGE. 

With the talk of the nostalgia related to the smell of lighter fluid I realize that I’ve been depriving myself and my son of this opportunity to play with flammable fuel and enjoy the smell of said fuel. 

I’ll work to correct this at the next opportunity. 

Yet another reason to love this forum. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Brother Tex, not trying to hijack your thread, but do you remember this dynamic due? It was huge over our way in the 70’s. In our neck of the woods it was slightly more popular than Kingsford for a while. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

Which beach is this? I could clear my schedule for that menu...
    Port A. Come on down. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Please post up your CTM meal if sober!  We have been trying to replicate a local restaurant's CTM and have not been successful  (I doubt we ever will be, as any other Indian resturant's CTM does not compare).  We have tried over 50 times. Have fun!  
    We are firing up the grill now. I’ll post the recipe when I come out of the fog.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    I love the smell of Napalm in the morning !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Brother Tex, not trying to hijack your thread, but do you remember this dynamic due? It was huge over our way in the 70’s. In our neck of the woods it was slightly more popular than Kingsford for a while. 

Never saw any of these. If they smell as good as Gulf Lite and Kingsford then you were a lucky man :) 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Back at it. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    There is nothing that brings back fond memories like lighter fluid and charcoal.
    It's smells exactly like a summer cookout should. I know it's bad stuff, but the smell is unbeatable on a summer evening.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    One of my neighbors still uses lighter fluid. And it’s only on Saturday evenings. Like clockwork at 6:00 pm.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Nicely done!

I fired up my Jumbo Joe for tailgating at softball tonight. First time in about a year. Just basic brats and dogs. I cleaned her up last week. Good to have her back in rotation. What a great grill. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    Options
    Kingsford, Gulf Lite and Weber. The Holy Trinity of poor mans bbq. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTM Kebabs.

and someone stole my damn yeti 45 out of the back of my truck last night. And it was full of delicious white claw and a bottle of Tito’s. People suck. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Went through my garage to start looking for things to throw out and purge for the upcoming move. The things I did not touch was the lighter fluid and the Kingsford. I still have a ton of junk to get rid of, hoping to eventually find my 20 y.o. smoking joe.

Life was good then. With the BGEs it has gotten better.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    @YukonRon.. Ron did you not just do a redo on that house, I remember the Kitchen being done, Are you now moving?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    We used to make an annual beach trip to Port A, but haven't been back since the hurricane.  Any recommendations on where to stay?  I've heard that a lot of the condos haven't been rebuilt yet.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.