Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs help please

Options

I have never cooked them before, but with all the great looking ribs I I’ve seen lately, I decided to try. I don’t even know if I bought the right thing. The label says bone in short ribs so we’ll see.

I'm not at home so I have no egg, just a kettle. I also forgot my instant read thermo and have no way to check pit temp either. My plan is to put about a chimney’s worth of lump in the kettle, light it in one spot and shove it all to one side. Close the top vent most of the way, add some white oak and put the meat on the other side. @SSN686 said his cooked for 6 hrs at 260 I think. I expect I’ll have to add lump at least once.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them. I know people do lo n slo cooks on Webers all the time but it’s been a VERY long time since I did. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options

Put em in the freezer and wait for a better setup imo.

Mountain View, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Your plan sounds good as long as you maintain a decent one-sided fire. I used to go with a split set-up on my old kettle, briquettes on either side with the middle "indirect". Worked fine. And I always had to add charcoal.

Get yourself a toothpick for the finish-line and have fun wth the cook. You've got this.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Go to youtube and follow Aaron Franklin'sguide for beef ribs. Follow time and temp guide and you cant go wrong

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Do it. Rotate them now and then so one side doesn’t face the fire the whole time. Really hard to overlook or dry them out, so toothpick as Cap says.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Good idea, I expect Aaron knows a bit about ribs. Following his temp recs will be hard without a thermo though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

@lousubcap and @Legume thanks for the tips, gentlemen. Looks like I have to get some toothpicks. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options

Smoke them for two hours then put in a pan with a beef broth mixture. Cover and cook in the oven until done.

• Carolina Q
    edited April 2019
    Options

You may win the prize today! Smoke til I run out of lump (at whatever temp Weber gives me), then oven at 275-ish. I had actually considered that, but I hadn’t thought of the broth. Thx.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

For lo n slo on a kettle, I would suggest arranging the lump in a ring along the periphery of the kettle. If using briqs, maybe 2 briqs wide by 2-3 briqs high. Leave a gap in the ring of briqs, so that only one end burns when you light. Intersperse wood chunks along the ring of charcoal . You can do the same thing if you only have lump available . Open the bottom vent all the way, and crack the top vent maybe 25% open.

Let it go for 5-6 hrs. If it's not done, then cover and finish in the oven.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

@caliking I have heard of that method, but long after I bought an egg and had pretty much stopped using my kettle. Thanks for the step by step!

Headed out to buy toothpicks and a cheap oven thermo (so I’ll at least have some idea of oven temp)!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    Options

I have personally used that method and it works well.

• Carolina Q
    Options

Ok, I now have a Taylor oven thermo and a box of toothpicks! Looking forward to it! When I get home. I’ll have to compare Taylor with a calibrated Tel-Tru.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Lol I’m not THAT far off track! I at least have canola and paper towels.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options

What cali said, +1 for snake method, whole chimney of lit charcoal may be challenging for temp control. Can of water for steam may also help. Rotate lid occasionally so vent holes are farthest from the burning spot.

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options

@Carolina Q Way to get into it. Nothing like having fun outside the normal comfort zone. Could be epic 😎

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Ribs on about 1pm. @caliking‘s snake method is working great. My $5 Taylor thermo reads 250 so I opened the top vent a bit.

Probably a stupid question, but if I put more lump in the Weber, but don’t light it, will the heat burn off the VOCs without ruining the cook? If so, I’ll just rebuild my snake as it burns up. Or should I just put it in the oven when I run out of lump?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    Options

I think it will. If you’re dedicated to completing the cook in the kettle, just lay more lump ahead of the currently burning lump and you should be fine.

• Carolina Q
    Options

Last time I looked temp was down to 150 or so. I rearranged lump and added another oil soaked paper towel to restart. This is why eggs are bettah!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    Options

Not necessarily. It’s the Indian, not the arrow 😄

nothing wrong with finishing in the oven if you’re pressed for time. You’ve got as much as you can from cooking over lump by now.

• Carolina Q
    Options

Temp is now back to 275-ish. About half of my original lump left. Might be okay after all.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    Options

Can't wait to the finish-line. Even with all the hic-cups it sounds like you are having fun with this adventure. Great eats await!

• Carolina Q
    Options

I think you’re right! Ribs are resting now, while fries and asparagus are cooking. Toothpick probes like buttah!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Ok, ribs were great! I took a few pics and If I knew how to post pics from my phone, I would! Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2019
    Options

It's BBQ not rocket science. Get your pit warm. Finagle in some sort of way to be indirect in heat source and add in some smoking wood (Oak for beef is a solid combo). IT not as important as "feel" imho. Seasoning? KISS theorem works well with these just as it does with brisket.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    Options

Post em up. I’ll bet even sideways pics will look delicious 😀

• lousubcap
    Options

Pass on the phone-just a delayed response when you send them to yourself, then to your hard drive and then here where we can enjoy your victory and brisket on a stick. Congrats! Glad it all turned out-never a doubt.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Didn’t happen.🤣

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Fake news

Little Rock, AR