Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Harvey: Wish you the best, Houston and coastal area. Be careful!

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-harvey

I can't believe this thing is exploding like it is. 

As someone who's gone through a number of Hurricanes, BE PREPARED!

I wish everyone in the path good luck and stay safe. 

Keep us updated.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Yep, stay safe folks.  Lot of uncertainty about this one still, but the tail of the distribution prediction looks scary af.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    When I heard them say on the news today that they expect three feet of rainfall I did my best Scooby impression..

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yes. Please be careful.   My prayers are with you. Today is the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew.  They've had all kinds of segments on the news today about it.  Wow!  What a mess.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Anybody in the path please evacuate. Go get cash, gasoline, and any mandatory prescriptions then go.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Three feet! Oh my! Our thoughts will be with you all. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Last time Houston had an evacuation it was a complete fiasco.  I'd rather take my chances sheltering in place UNLESS there was a risk of my property flooding.  And if that's the case, GIT OUT!
    edited August 2017
    Come to Indiana. I have good beer, great bourbon, and we'll egg til we drop. 
    Stay safe! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    ColtsFan said:
    Come to Indiana. I have good beer, great bourbon, and we'll egg til we drop. 
    Stay safe! 
    On my way!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Don't mess with mother nature.  Stay safe and be mindful of the quick flash flooding from the heavy rains.
    Last time one like this rolled thru Texas (Ike in 2008) somehow it managed to keep the high winds all the way into KY.  Granted only Cat 1 when it got here but that was enough for 8+ days w/o power once Ike finished with the area.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Houston really is positioned in about the worst way possible for a TS to come right up into its business.  If it comes in just the right way off the ocean, the flooding will be biblical.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've been thru one hurricane and that was enough. Please be safe. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    The QPF has gotten progressively scarier throughout the day:
    Image of WPC QPF US rainfall potential
    Since I'm in the flood business, I'm obligated to say Turn Around, Don't Drown.  Stay out of high water, there will be a lot of it.  Storm track is very reminiscent of TS Allison in 2001, which stalled out, backed up, and dumped a lot of rain on the Houston area.  This storm looks to do something quite similar, but with more surge.  Stay safe coastal TX folks!  And LA folks prepare for heavy rain, too!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Yesterday, I was hoping we'd get some rain out of it.  Today, phone has been blowing up all day with alerts...and I'm inland in Austin.  Flash flood alerts...expire on Monday and looks like we could get some wind as well.  If it hits Corpus, everything east of there is going to be underwater, lots of low land with high water table all the way past Houston.  That's going to be f'd up.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I would recommend that everybody in the purple, violet, and red areas shown above at a minimum call in out for work tomorrow. In tropical rain storms the roads will be chock a block with accidents. If you are going to evacuate do it now. From the east side of Houston I would recommend evacuating tonight before the roads become parking lots tomorrow. All of south Texas and most of south Louisiana will probably lose power and the houses will turn into steam baths without AC. Evacuating to the west might work if you do it quickly, otherwise head north as quick as you can.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @nolaegghead.... According to some that's what you get from living in a certain area. Smfh. Hope everyone is OK. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    My thoughts and prayers for you folks in the path of this beast. The predicted rainfall alone is shocking. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • We lived in Houston the last 10 years - went through Ike & still remember Allison. We never flooded but a house we had sold flooded 3 months after we moved out  :s

Now that we're east of Austin, just expecting a whole lot of rain and wind. Colorado river will flood for sure, but that's nowhere near us - it will just mess up one bridge on our route.  

Just secured the eggs for the wind and cleaned up everything outside to make sure we're good to go. Bought extra bottled water and bags of lump for good measure.

Planning on going into the office tomorrow - but that will be dependent on how tonight shapes up and where this storm turns & how fast it picks up speed.  
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Be careful out there, really scary! Nature bats last. 

@HoustonEgger how do you secure the egg? 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Stay safe brethren!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    bjeans said:

weigh it down with a brisket?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
  • nolaegghead
    Maybe they haven't covered it on Fox and Friends yet, John.  Think, man!
    Now he doesn't want Harvey to hear his battle plans just like he doesn't want Lil' Kimmie to hear.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2017
    I'm calling in sick tomorrow. Wife has to work til Noon. Thank you to the State of Texas for looking out for their employees.lol
    We are still expected to work tomorrow, but always be safe. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    This New Orleans boy is thinking, this looks a little worrisome. 

Don't feel any sense of relief if you don't get hurricane strength winds in the forecast tomorrow, the rain is what doesn't seem to be threatening, but what causes the most problems. 

Intensity forecasts for Harvey 12Z 8242017

5-day precipitation forecast for Harvey 0Z 8252017

Tracks of Alicia and Celia
    Storm is a pretty nice weather app that lets you display wind direction and speed in motion.  It's pretty interesting and helpful, especially if you're going to be in the path of a storm.

80 degrees at midnight with 77% humidity, this sucks.

• bjeans said:

Mine are in tables, so I've rolled the tables under the outdoor kitchen roof and am going to strap the tables to the columns tonight. That way they won't roll off and down the hill. 

Photo Egg said:
    I'm calling in sick tomorrow. Wife has to work til Noon. Thank you to the State of Texas for looking out for their employees.lol
    We are still expected to work tomorrow, but always be safe. Ha Ha
    I'm in Bastrop and drive to Elgin for work - even at 530am today there was a ton of traffic on the road - mostly evacuees coming up this way. Going to have to leave early to make sure I can get home before it gets too bad. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Please be safe everyone. Be sensible and live to egg another day. Thoughts and prayers with you all.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @caliking, my daughter is planning to evacuate from Houston to College Station, but if traffic doesn't allow that I may send her to your house.  I'll text you if necessary.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX