Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Harvey: Wish you the best, Houston and coastal area. Be careful!

Comments

• I think... he's trying to take credit for the amount of rain.
    He does love a record. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Glad that hurricane is over. 

Carry on, y'all.
    Glad that hurricane is over. 

Carry on, y'all.
    This was sarcasm.  Hang in there Houston.  Things are starting to get deep.
  • Well- looks like things are getting real up here now. We are in no personal danger but 30 minutes east of us is getting swamped. Road from here to Houston is now closed because the river is over the road. We had 7" of rain here today and nothing seemed severe. Now they are saying we have 10-20 more coming. Storm is moving 1 mph. It's just dumping rain just south and east of us. Houston is getting crushed by the same bands and they are 175 miles from here. 

Again, I'm on a hill and on the low side of the rainfall and can get out and about and not worry about losing power etc. The weather guy has shaky voice talking about all the people in low lying areas 30 minutes away from us. 
  • nolaegghead
    Well- looks like things are getting real up here now. We are in no personal danger but 30 minutes east of us is getting swamped. Road from here to Houston is now closed because the river is over the road. We had 7" of rain here today and nothing seemed severe. Now they are saying we have 10-20 more coming. Storm is moving 1 mph. It's just dumping rain just south and east of us. Houston is getting crushed by the same bands and they are 175 miles from here. 

Again, I'm on a hill and on the low side of the rainfall and can get out and about and not worry about losing power etc. The weather guy has shaky voice talking about all the people in low lying areas 30 minutes away from us. 
    This storm is going to redefine the limits of normal and the 100 year event.  Obviously weather changes, and this is just another example of what used to be called an outlier.  On the downside, as we saw in New Orleans, the maps get re-drawn for flood zones and rates go up.  Someone has to pay for it.
    edited August 2017
    Anyway, that's more talk for the lessons learned discussion after the smoke clears.  Be safe, and I wish everyone luck that's getting a years worth of rain in 5 days.

Don't drive through it!
  • Well- looks like things are getting real up here now. We are in no personal danger but 30 minutes east of us is getting swamped. Road from here to Houston is now closed because the river is over the road. We had 7" of rain here today and nothing seemed severe. Now they are saying we have 10-20 more coming. Storm is moving 1 mph. It's just dumping rain just south and east of us. Houston is getting crushed by the same bands and they are 175 miles from here. 

This storm is going to redefine the limits of normal and the 100 year event.  Obviously weather changes, and this is just another example of what used to be called an outlier.  On the downside, as we saw in New Orleans, the maps get re-drawn for flood zones and rates go up.  Someone has to pay for it.
    I read today that this could break the federal flood insurance bank before it's all over. Shaky weather guy just said this could be a 500 year rain event here in Austin area and will refine all the floodplane maps. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
     I  expect to see a large boat with an old guy , and pairs of animals, any moment now.

Probably won't happen  until Wed though. When it'll still be raining.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Well- looks like things are getting real up here now. We are in no personal danger but 30 minutes east of us is getting swamped. Road from here to Houston is now closed because the river is over the road. We had 7" of rain here today and nothing seemed severe. Now they are saying we have 10-20 more coming. Storm is moving 1 mph. It's just dumping rain just south and east of us. Houston is getting crushed by the same bands and they are 175 miles from here. 

I read today that this could break the federal flood insurance bank before it's all over. Shaky weather guy just said this could be a 500 year rain event here in Austin area and will refine all the floodplane maps. 

Shaky weather guy is shaking for a reason.  He's probably right.
    I would bet based on the demographics in Texas and the areas hit, many or most of the people who are suffering great property damage are also many of the people that expressed indignation in the funds FEMA spent in the Katrina recovery. 

Just like having a gay daughter, it takes some people personal experience to change their opinion.  Unless, that it, they just don't want the help.
    caliking said:
     I  expect to see a large boat with an old guy , and pairs of animals, any moment now.

Probably won't happen  until Wed though. When it'll still be raining.
    There will be many dinosaurs on it, unless they ate them already.

They just lost power and had to go to facebook live. Holy crap! It's not even that bad at my place but they are 15 miles from here. 
  • nolaegghead

They just lost power and had to go to facebook live. Holy crap! It's not even that bad at my place but they are 15 miles from here. 
    The "Hill Country" people will RULE Austin!!!  

Keep it weird.
    edited August 2017

The NFIP has been broken for years and is already about $25 Billion in debt. This event obviously won't help matters but the straw has already broken the camels back.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022

What was to redefine?  All of NOLA is beloe sea level and most of LA is barely above.  The entire state is a flood plane.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  •  After all the alarm about Harvey destroying a good sized piece of Texas, it turns out Harvey was more of a pooka.

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
     After all the alarm about Harvey destroying a good sized piece of Texas, it turns out Harvey was more of a pooka.

You mustn't mean that if you are up-to-date on the current situation. 

This is still just starting to get bad.  They are inundated with request for high water rescues.  There are reports of people climbing in their roofs.  Massive flooding is building, and predicted to keep going up for next 5 days.  I heard all this on the weather channel.
    The Harris Country emergency flood manager is on TV right now saying the level of flooding has exceeded Allison already, and it's just getting worse.  Basically he's overwhelmed.

Pretty big area to be getting a helluva lot of rain thru 1st of Sept.

I've had a browser window showing the live feed from KTRK in a corner of my monitor for the last day or so. A whole lot of knuckleheads trying to drive thru flooded streets tonight...unsuccessfully. I'll never understand why so many people think their ordinary cars will get them safely thru flooded streets.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344

“Trust me,” Trump said, “I’m, like, a smart person.”

Like, but not actually.

• nolaegghead
    If he doesn't understand one of Obummer's executive orders or sponsored/supported legislations, he is by default against it.  That in this case may be even more dangerous than trying to drive through a flood with your Altima.
    I'm worried about a friend of mine who's disabled, a shut in hacker/co-worker in the Webster area.  He told me Friday he had a drainage canal behind his apt.

He anticipated not having power this weekend so he installed some of my code early (routine install is weekend).   He didn't sound to prepared, but he told me he has some family near by.

Anyway, he's not very ambulatory and kind of a recluse, rarely ever leaves the apt, has everything delivered.   Don't think he drove his SUV in a couple years.

He's not on Slack, just reached out to his coworker DBA.

I think... he's trying to take credit for the amount of rain.
    Sounds like Begala and Axelrod. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Houston is in serious trouble here.  This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    SIL sent us a text, saying it was a long night of heavy rain, flooding in Houston everywhere, 500 rescues thus far. All major thoroughfares are closed and/or flooded. Still predicting 20+ inches more of rain. They still are ok, with power, however they can't get out of their neighborhood. She said most people are stuck in their attics, and can't get out. The news station they were watching had to move everything upstairs in their building due to high water.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936

People are trapped and can't call 911, so they're responding to this tweet asking for help.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Here's a link if you want to watch live local news in Houston. Prayers for Texas
    http://abc13.com/live/

• Small river in our back yard due to the lot sloping down. I setup a diversion to route the water to the back part of the lot and that seemed to work really well. Tons of debris across the yard and it's still raining here in Bastrop.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Awful stuff. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95