Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humble Pie

Well....I made the worst brisket I've made in years today. And as luck would have it, it was for a big family get-together that everyone said "you bring the brisket" (as I always do). I tried to push it through the stall this morning at home by wrapping in paper then FTC for 2 hrs. For the drive out. By the time we got there It was like sawdust. I served all the best bites that I could but it was falling apart like a dried out pot roast when I tried to cut most of it. I was like 10 in a row of getting better and better. Guess I was due a kick in the nuts and I got one tonight. Oh well, bourbon in hand and we will live to fight another day. Damnit.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't blame yourself..that cow probably died of dehydration from your Texas heat.  ;)
    Brisket King, I'll kick you nuts any time you want if it means I get whatever brisket you cook, crappy or great.
  • Don't blame yourself..that cow probably died of dehydration from your Texas heat.  ;)

I would like think so but this was all me. Seriously terrible. I'll never wrap again.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    My brisket cook today was f'd up as well. The family loved it; but I was ready to hurtle myself and the brisky to the asphalt below.

Shake it off; and get back in there!!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    At least you served it to people that know your body of work. Could have been a lot worse... Like if you were taking a shot at impressing a boss looking for a promotion.

And since these people know you, as this drives you to be a drunken ass they'll just take it in stride as you being you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hapster said:
    My brisket cook today was f'd up as well. The family loved it; but I was ready to hurtle myself and the brisky to the asphalt below. Shake it off; and get back in there!!!

Same Here. I'm used to "best ever" but today was an eye-opener for sure. I changed my process and the wheels came off the bus. I made some good yard bird on the spot (I bought my FIL an egg last year and that's where we were) but was very disappointed with the brisky. Set me back 10 years tonight. Oh well. We move on, I guess
  • Please try to resist the urge to self-imolate. We need your guidance!!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Have a cold one, dust yourself off and climb back into the saddle and ride that next one to victory. Have complete faith in your brisket abilities.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    edited July 2013
    Hey, nothing like failure to make you feel younger.  Brush the dust off your ass and climb back on that horse.  (and get all your guests drunk as skunks so they're less likely to remember the spectacular nature of your failure).

hapster said:

My brisket cook today was f'd up as well. The family loved it; but I was ready to hurtle myself and the brisky to the asphalt below.

Shake it off; and get back in there!!!

Same Here. I'm used to "best ever" but today was an eye-opener for sure. I changed my process and the wheels came off the bus. I made some good yard bird on the spot (I bought my FIL an egg last year and that's where we were) but was very disappointed with the brisky. Set me back 10 years tonight. Oh well. We move on, I guess

Seriously. I think my brisket came with handcuffs. It was on the egg; then in the warm oven for a few, then back on the egg to finish. I couldn't have f'd this up worse if I was Frank Costanza feeding the troops.

You have more than enough great equity built up of phenomal cooks. Let this one ride as a meth head cow and move on to the next cook.

Chill...
  • nolaegghead
    Damn.  And I was about to throw on a brisket.  The DigiQ isn't working...maybe a sign?  I'm gonna check the power supply with mah Fluke.  I'll probably throw it on anyway, don't need no stinkin' PID controller.
    BTW - just talked to Cazzy and made up a crazy story that I think he bought...he should be calling you right now (I kid!  I kid!  it's just a theory)
    Nola, don't back out now. This is your chance to step up and show us how it is done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead

Foghorn said:
    Nola, don't back out now. This is your chance to step up and show us how it is done.
    The pressure is definitely off...what do I have to lose?  I know I'm not gonna wrap mine in paper ;)

Foghorn said:

The pressure is definitely off...what do I have to lose?  I know I'm not gonna wrap mine in paper ;)

Exactly. What kind of moron would do that?

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead

Foghorn said:

Foghorn said:
    Exactly. What kind of moron would do that?
    "Ayayron Franklin didn't say ta take the paper off AFTER I was dun cookin' it (durrrp)..."

Hahaha....caz said he did the same thing with equally, um, un-groovy results.  But with a butt... So we worked out a theory.  Bottom line, doing that sucks.  But the science - it's complicated.  Deals with dew points, humidity, capillary action, phase of the moon and stuff like that.  I might elaborate after I fix this damn DigiQ and get some mo firewater in me.
    Near as I can figure-thru the fog of at least 13+ hours of adult beverages; the process change was to effectively Texas crutch it using paper.  Now I'm no brisketeer but I can't see how that would lead to the sawdust finish unless the cow was somehow predisposed to mess with you from the start.  I am sure I have missed a few details with this assessment but we are our own worst critics. Enjoy the bourbon but there is always another day and another cow at the altar!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Although i know it had nothing to do with the outcome I have to ask.... What wood did you smoke with?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    The Cen-Tex Smoker...my condolences... happened to me Master's Sunday with a whole house full of guests who had previously enjoyed some of my best briskets...then I turned out smokey roast beef, flavored but chewy...I threw mine away....they ate it anyway... I was mortified.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • nolaegghead
    shtgunal3 said:
    Although i know it had nothing to do with the outcome I have to ask.... What wood did you smoke with?
    He uses post oak exclusively for brisket. 
  • My fail was "after the fact".  Cooked four slabs of ribs today and they turned out pretty good.  I used the AR and cooked on a couple of levels.  I must have let the good times roll a little too far because I got sauce all over the place.  When I took the ribs off and brought them into the house, I closed the egg and put the cap on it.  After supper I went out to clean up and opened the egg.  Yep, the gaskets stuck together and both are ruined! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    This can all be blamed on the "on sale" brisket that was recently available in TX.  Yeah, that's the ticket!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Centex.. I can't believe you wrapped it. The sad thing is your "fail" is better than my best...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Yo CT- your worst probably beat my best before I started aiming for the
    Salado Brisket. My last one was likely my best till date, an exponential improvement over the one before it, all because of the CT method.

So no worries!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    There's nothing worse than a dud, especially when you've been on a roll. I suspect a redemption cook is near...
  • TonyA said:
    There's nothing worse than a dud, especially when you've been on a roll. I suspect a redemption cook is near...

I've heard of angry sex, but is there angry que'ing?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited July 2013
    My fail was "after the fact".  Cooked four slabs of ribs today and they turned out pretty good.  I used the AR and cooked on a couple of levels.  I must have let the good times roll a little too far because I got sauce all over the place.  When I took the ribs off and brought them into the house, I closed the egg and put the cap on it.  After supper I went out to clean up and opened the egg.  Yep, the gaskets stuck together and both are ruined! 

Oh yeah, I did that too! on my FIL's egg! I did some yard bird with the new grid extender over there and got blues hog all over his pristine white nomex gasket. I didn't bother to tell him since I'm the only one who cooks on it (they are scared of it but "had to have one")
  • flemster said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker...my condolences... happened to me Master's Sunday with a whole house full of guests who had previously enjoyed some of my best briskets...then I turned out smokey roast beef, flavored but chewy...I threw mine away....they ate it anyway... I was mortified.

Same here. I did make some good yard bird but people were choking down the brisket and left the chicken on the table. I ate chicken.
  • TonyA said:

I've heard of angry sex, but is there angry que'ing?

Yes and the 2 are very similar if you do it right :))
  • lousubcap said:
    Near as I can figure-thru the fog of at least 13+ hours of adult beverages; the process change was to effectively Texas crutch it using paper.  Now I'm no brisketeer but I can't see how that would lead to the sawdust finish unless the cow was somehow predisposed to mess with you from the start.  I am sure I have missed a few details with this assessment but we are our own worst critics. Enjoy the bourbon but there is always another day and another cow at the altar!

Yep- it was a crutch for time's sake (which i never do). Seems like the crutch paired with the FTC caused it to overshoot by quite a large margin in the cooler. It was horrible. Lesson learned for sure.