Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I honestly don’t know where to post this.

Comments

• dbCooper said:
    Hamilton man shot in testicle by ex-girlfriend: 911 call

https://www.fox19.com/2023/12/08/hamilton-man-shot-testicle-by-ex-girlfriend-911-call/

Glenn said Nester is taking medication for a mental disability.
    If he wants an apology from her, Glenn says no, as he only wants her to get better.
    “I still to this day love her, and if she ever gets better, well...” Glenn explained.

she shot my nutz off but i still love her.......run you idiot, bear with the pain and run....
    If she gets better her aim gets better also. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    No one blames the gun, but again she could have Bobbitt his balls sans gun  =)
    canuckland
  • I’m not sure how many people appreciate just how much of the current political climate in the US is due to this ahole ⬇️

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    And some history regarding the above:
    Republicans had not held the majority in the House for 40 years, since the 83rd Congress (elected in 1952). From 1933 to 1995, Republicans had controlled both House and Senate for only four years.
    This from Wikipedia and what Gingrich championed in 1994:
    Back then the political landscape was a much more friendly place. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    Unreal.
    Not a felon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    Odd to see that Bimboebert is running again, but from a different district in Colorado.  Does CO not have any residency requirements within their Districts, or does she simply move her trailer from one to another and fill out a form?  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lousubcap
    @Botch- She's moving.  Always remember that once elected, the name of the game is to get reelected.  "When in power, stay in power."  Her margin of victory was too close last time.  Move to a much more friendly district. 
     "The Power Game" by Hedrick Smith- yes late 1980's vintage but tells it like it is. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,610
    "I did not have sex with that woman"
  • HeavyG
    Nothing some concertina wire around the front edge of the judge's desk won't solve.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    From today's WaPo article; rather refreshing to read.

Americans are far too pessimistic about the future

by Fareed Zakaria

The start of the new year is often a time of optimism. But look at surveys from the past few months and you will find that strikingly high numbers of Americans — sometimes around three-quarters of those polled — think America is on the wrong track. This profound sense of despair is perplexing because I don’t find much objective data to support it.

The U.S. economy grew an astonishing 5.2 percent in the third quarter of 2023, and the International Monetary Fund expects growth for last year to be 2.1 percent, which is substantially better than in other advanced Western economies such as Canada, Germany and Britain. Inflation is dropping sharply, real wages are up and manufacturing employment is experiencing a boom. It is hard to find another country where so many measures are pointing in the right direction.

The broader picture is even more positive. As I write in the current issue of Foreign Affairs, the United States has been besting its competitors in various crucial metrics for a while. The Financial Times did an analysis of the many ways in which the United States’ economy could be compared with Europe’s, and it found that in per capita growth, the United States has been “outperforming” Britain and the euro zone for 20 years and has “dwarfed” the economies of Spain, France and Italy.

The U.S. technology sector dominates the world in a way that no country ever has. The value of the top 10 U.S. technology stocks is now greater than the value of the entire stock markets of Canada, Britain, France and Germany combined. The United States is the world’s largest producer of oil and gas. It has the healthiest demographics of any advanced country, and it takes in around 1 million legal immigrants a year, which ensures that while Europe and Japan are expected to slowly sink in population, the United States will continue to grow.

The world sees what Americans do not. The latest Pew Research Center survey on the topic shows that the United States is now viewed more favorably than China in 22 of 24 countries. When asked who contributes to peace and stability around the world, the United States or China, the margins are huge in crucial Asian countries. In Japan, it is 79 percent to 14 percent; in South Korea, 74 percent to 13 percent; and in India, 70 percent to 33 percent — all in Washington’s favor.

I know that many will raise the numerous global crises — the bloody stalemate in Ukraine, the tragic war in Gaza, the dangers over Taiwan. Others will concede the positive points but argue that U.S. domestic politics overwhelms them all. Our deeply polarized society will be paralyzed by Donald Trump’s looming court cases, a crazy election that will follow and a possible constitutional crisis over the results.

All of this is true. America has serious problems. What nation doesn’t? But it has gotten through these kinds of crises before, and I am confident it will again.

Last summer, Nikki Haley tweeted, “Do you remember when you were growing up, do you remember how simple life was, how easy it felt?” She was aping Trump’s central message, which is that he will make America great again.

So, let’s go back in time to those heady days, 50 years ago — to 1974. The United States had just suffered its first major military defeat in Vietnam. The Soviet Union was widely thought to be on the offensive around the world. The German chancellor resigned after an espionage scandal. Spain was still in shock from the recent assassination of its prime minister by Basque terrorists. Israel was barely recovering from a near-death experience in the Yom Kippur War, forcing its prime minister, Golda Meir, to resign. The Arab oil embargo roughly tripled the price of oil, leading to a novel combination of slow growth and high inflation that was described as “stagflation.” Domestically, U.S. cities were still reeling from the riots of the late 1960s, and forced busing was tearing communities apart. Oh, and Watergate had upended the political system. To escape impeachment, the president of the United States resigned in August 1974 — a first in history. Ah yes, the good old days, when life was simpler.

The truth is, the United States has the power and capacity to tackle today’s crises — perhaps even more so than it had in the past. But it needs to regain a sense of perspective and, above all, regain confidence in its own enormous strengths.

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    and yet brick and mortar are shutting down, this last year we lost a xmas tree shop, an outback, pepboys, a couple subways, mcdonalds will close soon, blahblahblah......wheres the needed workabees, nonexistant, everyone is looking for help, theres just no workerbees....wars seem to be getting more complicated, and we have no legitimate choice for a president. DOOMANDGLOOM =)        DONT GET ME STARTED WITH THE BIOLOGISTS ON SEBAGO LAKE, A FISHERY DESTROYED.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,040
  • lousubcap
    ^^^^ Very sad but too true of the R base.  No amount of facts will change the acolytes.  We are in for quite a ride this fall.  Fasten your seat belt. 
  • HeavyG
    Our (Virginia) Attorney General Jason Miyares is a hard core MAGA't and he formed that unit cuz of course the election was stolen from their Savior.

waaahhh waahhh

Haven't yet seen an official statement from either Miyares or Gov. Youngkin

• lousubcap
    You Need to read this-

Sorry for the clumsy appearance but when copying and pasting, many times the format is not really editable:

Tom Nichols

STAFF WRITER

Donald Trump is the presumptive GOP nominee, and he has vowed revenge on his political enemies. His voters want revenge as well—on their fellow citizens.

Years of Humiliation

A Trump supporter holds up a red baseball cap that reads Trump Forever

(Drew Angerer / Getty)

View in browser

Last night’s Iowa caucus results confirm that Donald Trump is almost certainly headed for the GOP presidential nomination. So much for the hopes of establishment Republicans (the handful who remain, anyway) and other conservatives that voters would refuse to join Trump’s personal crusade for vengeance against the American system of government.

Such hopes were always the thinnest of reeds: The Republican base actively embraces Trump’s grievances; it emulates his pettiness; it supports his childlike inability to accept responsibility. These voters are not sighing in resignation and voting for the lesser of two or three or four evils. They are getting what they want—because they, too, are set on revenge.

These voters are not settling a political score. Rather, they want to get even with other Americans, their own neighbors, for a simmering (and likely unexpected) humiliation that many of them seem to have felt ever since swearing loyalty to Trump.

A lot of people, especially in the media, have a hard time accepting this simple truth. Millions of Americans, stung by the electoral rebukes of their fellow citizens, have become so resentful and detached from reality that they have plunged into a moral void, a vortex that disintegrates questions of politics or policies and replaces them with heroic fantasies of redeeming a supposedly fallen nation.

Poll numbers on this issue are dispiriting. A third of Republicans—and four in 10 voters who have a favorable view of Trump—agree with the statement that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country.” But violence against whom? We are not under foreign occupation. When people talk about “resorting to violence” they are, by default, talking about violence against their fellow citizens, some of whom have already been threatened merely for working in their communities as election volunteers.

But perhaps such views are merely overheated samplings from super-red MAGA pockets, and the heartland voters are more sensible. No such luck. In Iowa, 19 percent of 502 likely GOP caucus attendees said Trump’s statement that he might have “no choice” but to lock up his political opponents made them more inclined to vote for him. One out of five might not seem like a lot, but another 43 percent said they didn’t care one way or another. Trump’s ranting about “terminating” parts of the Constitution made only 14 percent more likely to vote for him, but again, 36 percent didn’t care. What a triumph: Only one in eight Iowa GOP caucus voters supports trashing the Constitution.

The words of actual Trump supporters are even more unnerving than looking at raw poll numbers. My friend, the writer David French, lives deep in MAGA country. “You can go to social gatherings here in the South,” he wrote last week, and hear people whisper to friends, “Don’t talk about politics in front of Dad. He’s out of control.” David is also a lawyer, and he notes:

I know that rage and conspiracies aren’t unique to the right. During my litigation career, I frequently faced off against the worst excesses of the radical left. But never before have I seen extremism penetrate a vast American community so deeply, so completely and so comprehensively.

Meanwhile, much farther north, my colleague McKay Coppins attended a Trump rally in Iowa earlier this month, where he spoke with a nice lady named Kris, “a 71-year-old retired nurse in orthopedic sneakers” who watches Trump rallies on Rumble or FrankSpeech (a platform launched by the MyPillow founder, Mike Lindell) and believes that the 2020 election was “most definitely” stolen.

“You think Trump should still be president?” I asked.

“By all means,” she said. “And I think behind the scenes he maybe is doing a little more than what we know about.”

“What do you mean?”

“Military-wise,” she said. “The military is supposed to be for the people, against tyrannical governments,” she went on to explain. “I hope he’s guiding the military to be able to step in and do what they need to do. Because right now, I’d say government’s very tyrannical.” If the Democrats try to steal the election again in 2024, she told me, the Trump-sympathetic elements of the military might need to seize control.

What can turn an ordinary person—a father, the pleasant older lady who lives down the street—into the family powder keg, or even a deluded seditionist who hopes the U.S. military will seize control of the country?

The usual answer, when Trump ran the first time, was that these were “forgotten” voters, people “left behind” by globalization and a leftist political culture, who were hurling out a giant primal yawp of opposition. These were never empirically sustainable explanations, but empathetic reporters and deeply concerned politicians went on listening tours to diners and gas stations anyway. When ordinary Americans would say shocking, indecent, and un-American things, their flummoxed interlocutors remained steadfast in the belief that more listening and more empathetic nodding would put things right in a few years.

And yet, nothing worked. Trump and his right-wing media courtiers—who tend to the anger of the older, white middle class the way florists lovingly raise orchids—fed the GOP base a continual stream of rage, especially as Trump started to pile up electoral defeats. These voters now want to get even with their fellow citizens not for what’s been done to Trump but for what they feel has been done to them. They were certain that 2016 would finally bring them the recognition and respect they craved. Instead, Trump set them up for a steady diet of ego-bruising rebukes from other voters.

Much like Trump himself, these voters are unable to accept what’s happened over the past several years. Trump, in so many ways, quickly made fools of them; his various inanities, failures, and possible crimes sent them scrambling for ever more bizarre rationalizations, defenses of the indefensible that separated them from family and friends. If in 2016 they suspected, rightly or wrongly, that many Americans looked down on them for any number of reasons, they now know with certainty that millions of people look down on them—not for who they are but for what they’ve supported so vocally.

Strings of losses, including the 2018 Democratic-wave election, Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory, and the “red wave” that never happened in 2022, forced MAGA voters to construct an alternate reality in which the patriotic, hardworking majority has been repeatedly thwarted by schemes so complicated that SPECTRE would have struggled to execute them. Worse, a culture (especially in the media) that for a time was desperate to understand their views now either ignores them or treats them as dangerous curiosities.

The only good thing that came out of Iowa last night is that we are now spared further public performances from Vivek Ramaswamy. And it is a hopeful sign that nearly half of the caucus-goers chose someone besides Trump. But we are fooling ourselves if we think that the coming year will be just another peaceful competition between two political parties. Trump wants payback; so do millions of voters who have no one to blame for their sense of humiliation but themselves.

• HeavyG
    edited January 17
    lousubcap said:
    You Need to read this-

Sorry for the clumsy appearance but when copying and pasting, many times the format is not really editable:

Tom Nichols

STAFF WRITER

Donald Trump is the presumptive GOP nominee, and he has vowed revenge on his political enemies. His voters want revenge as well—on their fellow citizens...

...The only good thing that came out of Iowa last night is that we are now spared further public performances from Vivek Ramaswamy. And it is a hopeful sign that nearly half of the caucus-goers chose someone besides Trump. But we are fooling ourselves if we think that the coming year will be just another peaceful competition between two political parties. Trump wants payback; so do millions of voters who have no one to blame for their sense of humiliation but themselves.

"The only good thing that came out of Iowa last night is that we are now spared further public performances from Vivek Ramaswamy."

LOL

Good read and right on point. 

Our only hope is that enough folks realize that it is now necessary to drive a wooden stake into the MAGA GOP and rebuild.

Biden 2024!

• JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:

His voters want revenge as well—on their fellow citizens.

Yes, I think it's a fair guess that this is what our resident disliker is seeking.  
  • JohnInCarolina

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,610
    Legume said:

Where they will be “warmly “ welcomed.
  • lousubcap