Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,966
    May be I'm too naive or sheltered, don't know of anyone that owns a gun.
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,348
    Mexico might consider it a win if they could decrease to that percentage.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Canugghead
    Perhaps the actual number is higher, considering not all guns are traceable?
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,038
    dbCooper said:
    Mexico might consider it a win if they could decrease to that percentage.
    Yup.  I have a musician friend who lives in Mexico and they're more furious about "The Iron River" (google it), US guns flowing into their country (where ownership and manufacture is against the law) than we are about fentanyl etc flowing into ours (where use and manufacture are against the law (Sackler brands excepted)); both are driven by High Demand, and they're impossibly intertwined.    

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,079
    The only gun we own is a Bug-A-Salt.  

Very few people who live in my neighborhood here in the war-zone that is Durham, NC, keep a firearm in their home.  I guess we’re all just too woke?  I dunno.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,212
    i dont own a gun....so i built a cannon to train the gun dog. a half a cup of black cannon powder doesnt seem to phase him.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,212
    we can now carry switchblades in massachusetts, i guess too many people were getting shot.......why on earth would MA change that law
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead

Very few people who live in my neighborhood here in the war-zone that is Durham, NC, keep a firearm in their home.  I guess we’re all just too woke?  I dunno.  
    See, I'm naive again. Thought there are more firearms than people in :murica: Should have known sheep don't own guns  ;)
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina

See, I'm naive again. Thought there are more firearms than people in :murica:Should have known sheep don't own guns  ;)
    There are for sure.  But, funny thing about statistics - they can be misleading.  That particular one is a reflection of the fact that we have a lot of gun nuts who own an enormous personal arsenal.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,809
    Nothing irritates me more than having to use the roof because I've run out of deck space to display all of my firearms. Plus, Lily Sue will be losing her training wheels soon and we'll have to find more space for all of hers as well.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,729

See, I'm naive again. Thought there are more firearms than people in :murica:Should have known sheep don't own guns  ;)
    There are for sure.  But, funny thing about statistics - they can be misleading.  That particular one is a reflection of the fact that we have a lot of gun nuts who own an enormous personal arsenal.

At least trade a few guns for a better smoker.
  • DoubleEgger
    Another school shooting in rural Georgia today. Sad times. 
  • JohnInCarolina
  • DoubleEgger
    Watched the local news conference. Same ol’ open-ended garbage. Thoughts, prayers and it’s not the time to talk about policy. 
  • JohnInCarolina

• Botch
    I don't follow these things too closely anymore, but this particular situation had an interesting twist.  
    The murderer left a string of clues (even pleas?) that had been ignored for over a year.  Once he started his attack, he was quickly talked down into surrendering, not by "a good guy with a gun" but high school counselors.  I'm assuming a bit of bloodshed was avoided.  

There is one party in this country that wants to increase funding for mental health, which (in this instance) worked, maybe.  

There is one other party in this country that wants to sell guns to at least two people in every single school in this country, because "a good guy with a gun" will solve so much, like the 300 of them did in Uvalde TX, where (in that instance) it worked, so beautifully.    

But, like I said, I don't follow these things too closely anymore, so I'm probably way off-base.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:
    I don't follow these things too closely anymore, but this particular situation had an interesting twist.  
    The murderer left a string of clues (even pleas?) that had been ignored for over a year.  Once he started his attack, he was quickly talked down into surrendering, not by "a good guy with a gun" but high school counselors.  I'm assuming a bit of bloodshed was avoided.  

There is one party in this country that wants to increase funding for mental health, which (in this instance) worked, maybe.  

There is one other party in this country that wants to sell guns to at least two people in every single school in this country, because "a good guy with a gun" will solve so much, like the 300 of them did in Uvalde TX, where (in that instance) it worked, so beautifully.    

But, like I said, I don't follow these things too closely anymore, so I'm probably way off-base.  
    It is worse than that.  Let’s not forget:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1039301
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Pro-life? kiss my ass. Pro-Birth. They do not care about life. the evangelic hypocrisy of the right's Christian cult, is murdering children is ok, murdering others is ok. 

Choose NRA and gun money or the lives of our children. People will counter "well, it is not that simple." 

Yes, it really is. So much can be done. Vote out those in congress that find this acceptable, only offering "thoughts and prayers." 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,568
    We need more prayers.
    We need to pray these elected officials who refuse to even start working on gun reforms get VOTED OUT in the next election. That is what we should be praying for.
    Let us pray they all get sent packing.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,764
    I hate to be the ass here….but how’s drug reform working? Gun reform will do what exactly? Stricter laws won’t stop anyone who has the means from getting one. I don’t care if you extend the background check or whatever to however long. As a law abiding citizen, I’m fine with that. The ATF has my picture and prints on file. Nothing to hide here. Bottom line is gun reform will accomplish exactly nothing. 

Maybe the focus should shift to mental health of these young people in the school systems. How bad does it have to be for how long for you to bring a gun to school? Clearly there were missed warning signs from everyone in this (the shooter’s) life. 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 325
    Why either/or, why not both?
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • you’re not being an ass. maybe pessimistic and also drawing a lazy parallel to drugs. 

the path out of this mess is long and multi pronged.  the 2nd amendment interpretations grant attitudes that prevent open minds. 

the problem is everyone picking apart every gun scenario separately to show how it can be defeated then saying “we well we cant do that so lets shift the blame”

yes there are mental health items to do. yes there are marketing issues to fix. yes there are glorifications of violence in society. yes there are adults that are careless with storage and access by children and tempered or drunk adults. yes there are unnecessarily high powered weapons that only exist to feed an arms race for an imaginary war fueled by fear and fantasy.  yes there are crime cultures where bad people have guns around all the time.

so the focus isnt on one thing— unless the one thing is “get our heads out of our ass and agree we will all be better off if we try and do 20 things with as little whining as possible.”

• ColbyLang
    you’re not being an ass. maybe pessimistic and also drawing a lazy parallel to drugs. 

the path out of this mess is long and multi pronged.  the 2nd amendment interpretations grant attitudes that prevent open minds. 

the problem is everyone picking apart every gun scenario separately to show how it can be defeated then saying “we well we cant do that so lets shift the blame”

yes there are mental health items to do. yes there are marketing issues to fix. yes there are glorifications of violence in society. yes there are adults that are careless with storage and access by children and tempered or drunk adults. yes there are unnecessarily high powered weapons that only exist to feed an arms race for an imaginary war fueled by fear and fantasy.  yes there are crime cultures where bad people have guns around all the time.

so the focus isnt on one thing— unless the one thing is “get our heads out of our ass and agree we will all be better off if we try and do 20 things with as little whining as possible.”

Well said. And I agree. My lazy comparison as you put it was to show what the terms “gun reform” do. Jack ****. Specific plans of action and framework of policies and legislation are needed 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,624
    edited September 7
    In this case the shooters father is being charged with 4 counts of manslaughter by the state of Georgia. Personally I don't see the thrill or utility of owning a 5.56mm in  either bolt or semi automatic. In most states it is illegal to hunt with that caliber, or it was back when I used to hunt. My current rifle, if I were to take it up again, is a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action. In addition I have one pump shotgun, 1 .22 target pistol and 1 0.40 pistol. None of which have been fired in years. Add to that it is illegal to give an underaged person cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, or guns. Most states allow minor use of alcohol or use(not possession) of firearms if under direct parental supervision at the time of use. 
    One question is if the FBI was notified of the comments of this person in the Discord server, why did they not at least contact the parents? Another is with minors in the house, why weren't the firearms under lock and key?
  • JohnInCarolina
    ColbyLang said:
    you’re not being an ass. maybe pessimistic and also drawing a lazy parallel to drugs. 

Well said. And I agree. My lazy comparison as you put it was to show what the terms “gun reform” do. Jack ****. Specific plans of action and framework of policies and legislation are needed 
    Gun reform won’t prevent every future mass shooting, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth doing.  It might stop some, and also improve safety overall. 

• Botch
    ColbyLang said:
    I hate to be the ass here…. .... Gun reform will do what exactly? Stricter laws won’t stop anyone who has the means from getting one. .... Bottom line is gun reform will accomplish exactly nothing. 
    If you asked me that question, I'd have to say, "I don't know".  The US has, by far, the worst civilian gun violence problem on the planet, and it compares quite starkly to other countries, with different local situations:

- Is it our culture of violence that makes the US more susceptible?  Japan's love of violent video games dwarfs our own (no idea about movies, etc); gun ownership is legal in Japan but very highly regulated (dare I say "well-regulated"?)  Mass shootings are nearly unheard-of in Japan.

- Is it our access to firearms that makes the US more susceptible?  While we have more firearms than citizens in the US, every single household in Sweden has a firearm; it's required, by law (having over 2,500 miles of border with Russia changes things).  Mass shootings are nearly unheard-of in Sweden.  

- Is it our ease of purchase/local manufacture of firearms in the US, making us more susceptible?  Gun ownership, and manufacture, in Mexico is illegal; but their gun violence is very frightening to them and close to our own (again, google "the iron river").  To be fair, their shootings involve drug turfs and money flows, not schoolchildren.  

- Is our lack of mental health care making us more susceptible?  I don't have a good feel/read on that at all.  

So, what kind of gun reform, in this country, would accomplish anything?  Would it make sense to establish a worldwide study of all these countries, compare/contrast all the different factors, and come up with a logical plan?  Yes, yes it would, and in fact it's been tried many times over the years.  But, surprise-surprise, the NRA immediately quashed any such plans, and ordered their lackeys in congress to vote against any such studies.  Every time.  The NRA (who preach "a good guy with a gun" but require metal detectors for their own conventions) have weakened in power lately, and along with the flushing of the trumplicans I'm hoping for in two months, may get a study like this pushed thru.  As a retired military guy and lifelong republican, I fully support the 2nd Amendment, including the phrase "well-regulated", the gun nuts do not (the trumplicans also ignore the Constitutional requirements about insurrectionists holding office, but whatever).  

@ColbyLang, you are not an ass for asking a legitimate question; I've tried to give you my best answer.  fwiw.  

• ColbyLang
    I’m not saying reform isn’t the answer. I’m saying broad stroke reform gets us no where. You can’t come up and ban all semi autos. You have to have specifics. The gun industry is very good at finding the loopholes. You wanna know why they sell so many AR’s or MSRs as they’re now called? Marketing