Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Nice
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Herb encrusted pork loin wrapped in bacon 

Peaked at 148°, was a little over cooked. Temperature raised 22° in a  18 minute rest
    Looks pretty much perfect from here. Nice. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    MasterC said:

Peaked at 148°, was a little over cooked. Temperature raised 22° in a  18 minute rest
    Not sure why, but pork loin really keeps cruising up during the rest.  I had a similar issue on last one I cooked.  I planned for a 7 deg rise, it went up 17deg before I decided to slice it to stop the rise.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    MasterC said:

Not sure why, but pork loin really keeps cruising up during the rest.  I had a similar issue on last one I cooked.  I planned for a 7 deg rise, it went up 17deg before I decided to slice it to stop the rise.
    It's just thermal inertia.  What happens is typically you're probing the middle, but the outer edge is quite a bit warmer.  All of that thermal mass keeps moving after you pull it off the cooker.  The outside starts to cool but just below that, the hotter interior continues to warm the middle.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac did you tent it with foil or something?

Typically, the larger the mass and lower temp the cook, the less rise you'll have post cook.

So if you cook at 400 vs 200, it will rise more.
    If you cook a 5 pound vs 10 pound roast, it will rise more.
    If you tent post cook it will rise more.
    If you put a fan on the roast after cooking with no tent, it will rise less.
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac did you tent it with foil or something?

Typically, the larger the mass and lower temp the cook, the less rise you'll have post cook.

So if you cook at 400 vs 200, it will rise more.
    If you cook a 5 pound vs 10 pound roast, it will rise more.
    If you tent post cook it will rise more.
    If you put a fan on the roast after cooking with no tent, it will rise less.
    Tented initially, then at 10degs removed the tent.

@JohnInCarolina fairly dense roast and cooked it at 350...Lots of thermal mass.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    wasted foil in my opinion.  why do people insist on it and they do insist
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Makes us feel like we are doing something.  Imagine just plopping it on the cutting board and waiting?  That is amateur move right there.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Makes us feel like we are doing something.  Imagine just plopping it on the cutting board and waiting?  That is amateur move right there.

its about choices. get a drink or serve overcooked meat with soft bark
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I keep a little nerf fan in the kitchen for cutting onions, cooling down hot food, drying stuff, etc.   I made the mistake of putting the first one in the oven on a low temp jerky operation (spoiler: it melted).  Live and learn.
    Options
    @Acn... stuff like this makes a fella want to buy the house next to yours. Let me know if it comes up for sale. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    MasterC said:
    New lump and the minimax 

16oz strip from Holy Grail 

Dinner is served 

New lump burned clean and hot, ran at 550°-600°
    That looks amazing!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    For all that may complain about lack of moderation, perfect example above with that maple lump of why they would rather trade active moderation for a very active user group generating a stream of what we all use and buy and like, then mine that info for their own products.

And that steak looks fantastic.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    For all that may complain about lack of moderation, perfect example above with that maple lump of why they would rather trade active moderation for a very active user group generating a stream of what we all use and buy and like, then mine that info for their own products.

And that steak looks fantastic.
    Sooo, either we have the most amazing social site moderation team with a long term vision and plan to monetize and maximize our interaction, or we have a moderator who occasionally remembers they are actually a moderator, then they have to look through a stack of post-its to find their email address and password they use to login. 🤔
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have been told that the moderators read ALL of the threads.  Mind you, this was right after an email asking me who I was.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    @MasterC - that is a spectacular $$ shot of that steak.  Great cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    I have been told that the moderators read ALL of the threads.  Mind you, this was right after an email asking me who I was.
    I, for one, am flabbergasted that "they" forgot who you are. 

Do they not keep a list of folks they've banned for calling them as...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,583
    edited December 2021
    Options

Stop looting our national treasure! J/k
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    The Beef $$$ shots are rolling tonight.  Congrats to all who have nailed the desired finish.  Great cooks.  I would inhale any and all.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

That looks killer.

I laughed when I finally zoomed in on your new avatar.  On my phone it looks like an eggplant.  I couldn't figure out why you would use that, but then I zoomed in an saw a Duke Chihuahua.