Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    Options
    caliking said:
    Looks good, what setting and how long in IP?
    we had steamed salmon with plain rice couple of nights ago … IIRC swmbo sauté chopped fermented black bean, garlic, ginger, chili, green onion, cilantro; spread over salmon and steam between 12 to 18 min depending on thickness.
    High pressure x4mins, then release pressure manually.

-Set up the IP with water 1 cup in the pot, and the trivet. The fish goes in a large tiffin carrier pan, that fits our 6qt IP. I stack two pans in the IP, separated by bamboo skewers between them. 

- I made the sauce with soy sauce 1/3 cup, mirin 2 T, DP Peking. Pour the sauce in the pan. Place the salmon filet face down in the pan, to swim in the sauce a bit. 

- When ready to cook, flip it over, chop some scallions over it, and pressure cook. 

- Spoon the sauce over the fish prior to serving, or onto rice/noodles. 

Didn't add ginger or garlic this time, because the sides would have them. 

For your recipe, try adding all the ingredients directly (without sauteeing first), and see what you think. 

This is probably the quickest dinner I can make, that starts from scratch. 
    May be sauté was the wrong word, more like quick mix and stir in the fry pan with soy sauce. Have to try IP some day.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    May be sauté was the wrong word, more like quick mix and stir in the fry pan with soy sauce. Have to try IP some day.
    I'm going try adding fermented black beans next time. Don't know how I missed that all this while :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,339
    edited January 2022
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Another lazy meal. Used some of the sausage I cooked on the egg the other day. Instant Pot hard boiled eggs. The rest - tomato, onion, peppers, baby carrots, the salad mix, and the ranch dressing came from the grocery store. 
    Looks great from where I stand. I used to do a lot of IP hard boiled eggs, but haven’t since before the pandemic. Coincidentally, I thought of this yesterday. Synchronicity. 

Not to derail the thread, but I don’t think I’ve caught any updates on your construction project on the WAYDN thread. Maybe I’ve missed a post. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - Things got in the way of progress. When the plumber removed the bench seat from the shower there was a nest of carpenter ants. The seat was made using wood frame construction that wasn't pressure treated and was not well constructed. I sprayed with Home Defense to kill any ants and made arrangements for an exterminator who came today. It worked out because the plumber was about to start waterproofing and adding the shower pan but he got called to take care of a home with a water leak under the concrete slab. Work should resume on Monday.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @SamIAm2

Sorry to hear about the setback. On the plus side, better to have found the nest than for it to have gone undetected. Fingers crossed that treatment will have dealt with the ants and that you have the work resume before too long. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    @SamIAm2

Sorry to hear about the setback. On the plus side, better to have found the nest than for it to have gone undetected. Fingers crossed that treatment will have dealt with the ants and that you have the work resume before too long. 
    I believe carpenter ants nest in trees and just setup satellite colonies in walls of your home.  Best to get an exterminator that uses the good stuff that kills the nest and not just the satellite colony.  We battled this in our last house until I called a proper exterminator.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    @Legume - I did hire a local professional exterminator and they were very thorough. Worked on interior of home, attic space, bait traps in the usual areas. Even took off the light switch plates and power outlet covers then removed one screw at top of electrical outlet to put treatment in the box.  Then they did exterior treatment - hedges, yard, shed and the wooden ramps and steps to it. I have one small tree on property. That whole process took over two hours and was a one time contract. I have another contract for bi-monthly extermination that I will be starting next month. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @WeberWho: Wow. I have no further words. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,469
    Options
    @WeberWho great looking results.  I'm guessing this one could be a keeper??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,039
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho great looking results.  I'm guessing this one could be a keeper??

I don't see this one leaving the stable anytime soon. It has its pros/cons like any smoker but overall I've been very happy with it. Stupid simple to use and have enjoyed the results. Still tweaking it here and there to see what works best. I would like to build a new fire grate as I feel the current one is too wide and drops chunks of charcoal through the grate that doesn't burn all the way through. It should save on charcoal and burn a little slower. All minor stuff at this point. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I will be making whiskey and soy roasted pork chops tonight.  Trying a new recipe.   If it's any good I'll post up some pics.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina just make dang sure it's whiskey and not some top-shelf bourbon being sacrificed.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    Would love the recipe if it works out. Seems like Japanese whiskey is called for in this instance. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Hopefully if @JohnInCarolina does pick up on your suggestion he has some from the bottom-shelf.  The only Japanese whiskey I have is the exported version of Blanton's bourbon shipped back to me under the guise of darkness.  Suffice to say that obtaining it was a window of opportunity move but it came with a healthy price.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations Hopefully if @JohnInCarolina does pick up on your suggestion he has some from the bottom-shelf.  The only Japanese whiskey I have is the exported version of Blanton's bourbon shipped back to me under the guise of darkness.  Suffice to say that obtaining it was a window of opportunity move but it came with a healthy price.  
    I like how you roll - at a quick and comfortable clip. Just thought the soy sauce called for something Japanese. Around here, we find Japanese whiskies starting at about the $70 mark, so not too hard on the wallet. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    Would love the recipe if it works out. Seems like Japanese whiskey is called for in this instance. 
    Irish actually.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Irish whiskies are the best value around, nothing even close.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Legume said:
    Irish whiskies are the best value around, nothing even close.
    They are quite solid and flavourful.  I enjoy Jameson's of the lot.
    @JohnInCarolina way to finesse the whole deal.  Well-played.   B)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    So, how was the recipe?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Updates and the $$ shot for the win.  Great cook and outcome right there.