Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @caliking - You have trained him well and he seized the opportunity to enjoy a b'day banquet.  Great cook across the board.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    caliking said:
    Caliprince asked for some of his favs for his birthday dinner… ratatouille, Vietnamese/Thanh Long-style garlic noodles, grilled King crab, AND prime rib. 

The KBQ got the call for the prime rib. He asked for the crab to be done on the Simpsons Weber kettle.

Seems like I forgot to grab a pic of the ratatouille. And, a plated shot. Oh well. 

It all apparently turned out to our little dictator’s liking.  He had a good day, and that made us happy.  
    That is certainly a meal for a prince. Way to use your arsenal. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @caliking with just one bday dinner request, Caliprince has shown that I have squandered years of birthday requests.  He birthdays better than I do.

and nicely executed.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:
    @caliking with just one bday dinner request, Caliprince has shown that I have squandered years of birthday requests.  He birthdays better than I do.

and nicely executed.
    Thanks. I initially said no for the prime rib, but then gave in. Good thing I did, because it was the best item on the plate.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

and nicely executed.
    Thanks. I initially said no for the prime rib, but then gave in. Good thing I did, because it was the best item on the plate.  
    Next year, you should first totally fake him out with some KD. Then reveal the banquet.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @caliking what a feast! Now that you’ve set the bar so high, the royal prince is going to expect nothing less for future birthdays  =)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great plate-Even into the stylin...
    What rig did you use for the ribs?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great plate-Even into the stylin...
    What rig did you use for the ribs?
    Ribs were done sous vide, for 48 hrs.  Then you pull the bones out and fry them.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks and the call of the SV is strong but... B)
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

and nicely executed.
    Next year, you should first totally fake him out with some KD. Then reveal the banquet.

I'm in. I have to first figure out what KD is =)

@Canugghead - Thanks! Yes, he is indeed spoiled. But, I'd rather have it this way vs. stuffing him full of fast food regularly. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks and the call of the SV is strong but... B)
    That’s the Momofuku recipe.  I’ve done short ribs on the BGE and they are great, but they just do not turn out with the same level of tenderness as what results from a 48 hour swim.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    Momofuku short ribs with garlic-wasabi mashed potatoes

good lord...

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    caliking said:

good lord...
    ^^^Agree^^^
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options

Fabulous looking meal there.  Nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:

good lord...
    Show that to Caliprince.  He’s got a year to plan for the next bday.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    St Louis ribs on the OJ Bronco.  Much better smoke profile than the BGE, and super easy temp control!

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - great looking eats but what happened to the award winning diamond plate??
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Mattman3969 - great looking eats but what happened to the award winning diamond plate??
    @lousubcap - over the years they got chipped up to the point that I had one decent plate left. We moved twice in 2021 and the final move resulted in chipping the last chip free diamond plate. We bought new and passed on the other 7 diamonds to my daughter.  It was a sad day but after a few counselor visits I’m slowing moving forward from this life changing event.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - Sorry to read that.  I'm sure much more traumatic than you are letting on.  Way to get after the counselor visits to help guide you forward.  Gonna take some time for me to get past the anticipation of seeing a post from you and no ♢plate.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Mattman3969 - Sorry to read that.  I'm sure much more traumatic than you are letting on.  Way to get after the counselor visits to help guide you forward.  Gonna take some time for me to get past the anticipation of seeing a post from you and no ♢plate.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    You really never get over your first plate.  New ones will come into your life, but they just aren't the same.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin