Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you buy the same make car/truck and new or used? Diversion topic-

I am definitely not a brand loyalist as I have never purchased a follow-on of the same make car. (Marriage did impede a potential chance to break that unwritten habit).  I also don't buy new although SWMBO "has" to get a new car.  I keep cars well into the 150K plus miles ride.  
Others here??
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    always f250s and MBs
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Same as Frank.
  • My last 3 trucks have been Ford’s but that’s definitely not a rule. They also all happened to be new- again not a rule, but decent used trucks are every bit as ridiculously priced as new ones. When I bought all of those, I was doing 35-45k miles/yr and I drive the wheels off them. Usually a min of 225k or until I get a repair bill that just isn’t worth it. 

The wife loves her MB’s. Usually buy a used or “demo” under 10k miles. She’s tried other brands, the last one was an Acura she drove for about 4 months and then traded it in for another MB. She’s the same as me and drives them into the ground 150k+. 
  • I have never purchased a new car.  I’ve always bought used ones, typically 2-3 years with 20-30k miles on them.

This relative sensibility is counterbalanced by an affinity for German sports cars.  I don’t tend to keep them much beyond 70k miles.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,657
    edited December 2020
    I am 58 and just bought my first new vehicle (4Runner).  I have only purchased used in the past.  I was looking for a used 4Runner but the depreciation on 4Runners is so low, it made more sense to buy new this time.  This is my second, the first I just sold and drove for 13 years 140,000 miles.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    I had 6 VWs before switching brands and only due to growing family/ towing needs

86 GTI
    86 Jetta GLI
    68 VW van (never got it on the road) 
    96 Jetta GLX VR6
    95 Passat wagon VR6
    01 Jetta TDi

Loved that VR6 motor

Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I hate the depreciation of a new car, but the last two were new. My rule of thumb is if I buy a new vehicle have to drive it for 10 years. 

I guess I did buy my daughter a used suv last year for her birthday. 

We usually switch up brands, types, etc at each change over. Currently have 3 from the Axis powers. 

Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,486
    @GrateEggspectations - One lucky man!  Congrats across the board!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    I bought my only new car when I was 26 and it was 12k (Isuzu Rodeo).  I've probably had around 25 used cars and trucks.  Never the same thing twice, mostly really interesting vehicles, probably most of them were challenging to own. 
    My truck is a 2005 with 187k on it. I’m just now starting to think about buying something else. I’ll keep the truck as I need one. I’m not partial on make and model. My biggest question will be buy a sporty 2 door zoom zoom car or look at something like an outback that’s more practical. SWMBO on the other hand likes that “new car smell” so she upgrades often. Although we just bought the CRV for her so I should be good on that front for a couple years. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    SWMBO only buys new.  Her money, she deserves it.  Last three were X3, X3 and Q5.
    My truck is a 2005 with 187k on it. I’m just now starting to think about buying something else. I’ll keep the truck as I need one. I’m not partial on make and model. My biggest question will be buy a sporty 2 door zoom zoom car or look at something like an outback that’s more practical. SWMBO on the other hand likes that “new car smell” so she upgrades often. Although we just bought the CRV for her so I should be good on that front for a couple years. 
    Bought an Outback last year. Bought the NA 3.6 while I still could before they went all turbo. I live in a climate with long, harsh winters, so enjoy the winter performance. That being said, the tech in that car drives me wild. So many bells and whistles that seem to go off unpredictably. Still don’t regret the purchase, but the tech can be an annoyance!
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited December 2020
    I have had over 100 cars and trucks. I buy older MBs and flip them. Only bought 4 of them new. Two were new MBs heavily discounted by the mothership.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I buy what I feel at the time. Father retired from Chrysler so I started out a mopar man. Chrysler started going the wrong way in the 80's/90's but the family discount was too good to pass up. Bought 3 new cars. So far the GMC Yukon was the best car. 180,000 and still going strong, oil changes, new tires and Brakes is all that it has needed.

64 Plymouth Fury III - first car pd$100 drove for a year and sold it for $100
    67 Plymouth Barracuda - wish I still had this one.
    68 Mercury Cougar
    83 Pontiac Firebird
    86 Oldsmobile Toronado
    84 Nissan 300ZX
    89 Plymouth Mini Van - started family..
    93 Dodge Caravan 
    02 Chrysler 300M Special - new
    04 Chrysler Pacifica - new
    11 GMC Yukon Denali - new
    13 Audi A6
    15 Ram 1500

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    I’m somewhat brand loyal to Toyota as we have a 4runner and a Lexus. But given that the 4runner hasn’t been redesigned since 2007 and they are still using the same ancient 5 speed 4.0l V6 I am considering a change. When my wife’s Lexus goes down we will buy another. If they would finally update the 4runner and tundra I would probably stick with them but that’s at least 2 more years away. Also I generally buy New but not always.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Two  new Toyota’s , two VWs(1 used), 1 Ford used, 1 Mercury new, 1 Datsun totaled when I was 19, 1 Mazda presently,There will be another VW, an electric one within a few months. There will never be another Ford product in my driveway. Mixed feelings about the Mazda. I forgot a Chevrolet Spectrum which is a rebadged Isuzu Imark, weak clutch and rust away mufflers.
  • Costco sells cars, not sure about their return policy 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2020
    We bought one through Costco.  I think the return policy is much shorter.

Got a great deal, saved a bunch of money.  Hassle free.

Buy Japanese. Buy new and drive them for 10ish-20ish years. Mostly Datsun/Nissan with a few Mazda and Honda in the mix.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    Buy Japanese. Buy new and drive them for 10ish-20ish years. Mostly Datsun/Nissan with a few Mazda and Honda in the mix.
    Not sure what your experience has been, but the new Nissans don’t impress me much. 

Owned a Honda that would likely have lasted forever, had the terrible paint defect not driven me to sell it. 
  • nolaegghead
    Datsuns were great, had a 240 and a 260Z.  They are my least favorite since they changed to Nissan except for Mitsubishi. 
    Datsuns were great, had a 240 and a 260Z.  They are my least favorite since they changed to Nissan except for Mitsubishi. 
    Two of the very few aisian cars offering a decent driving experience.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
    I have bought 2 brand new cars, both for my wife, 2003 Ford Expedition and 2017 Honda Pilot.  That Expedition with the 5.4 was fantastic, 170k when we got rid of it.  I did lease a new Nissan truck for myself two decades ago, blew right past the mileage limits and was still able to sell it to the local dealer vs mothership without having to go into my pocket.

My first car was a used ‘81 Jetta Diesel.  Drive that well past 150k but the odometer gave out.  When the fuel pump started spraying diesel all over the engine it had to go, new fuel pump was more than the car x2.

Last truck was a 2011 F150 3.5 ecoboost that I sold to my son-in-law, bought it with 27k and sold it last year with ~90k.  Just bought another F150 after a year, this time 25k on it. Drove some Tacoma’s but they were just too bouncy for me, couldn’t see that being comfortable (to me) on a long road trip, I think I was just used to a bigger truck

Not a felon
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,493
    02 Mitsubishi Galant (used)
    05 GMC Canyon (used)
    09 Chevy Silverado (new)
    11 Hyundai Sonata (new)
    15 Kia Sedona (used)
    20 Chevy Colorado (new)

I guess I’m 50% new/used. Looks like I tend to like Chevy/GMC. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322
    I've never purchased new, taxes and insurance play a part in that choice.  For my "daily driver" I am partial to GM cars with a V8, Chevy in particular.  Currently wheeling a Impala SS, no plans to replace for at least another three years.  You can laugh at this 4000+ lb. boat but, more than one independent test got 0-60 in about 5.5 sec.  It returns 25+ mpg hwy.  When I do go shopping there will be an issue... for sure don't want some piddling little engine with a turbo and 8-10 gears due to a very narrow torque band.
    Prior to the SS I had a Olds Aurora with the baby Cadillac Northstar V8.  That was a great road car, got near 30 mpg hwy. on the flatlands here.  At about 160k most of the good was gone out of it so had to let it go.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,058
    Usually buy used.  Have been stuck on Toyota's lately - Highlanders for my wife and Tundras for me.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    New here because a 2-3 year old vehicle worked out costing more over a 6 year term as GM new was 0% interest through the dealer and used was 6% at the bank. Coincidentally  GM financing ended up being through my bank.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    There are 3 things that I always buy new. Trucks, chainsaws and tractors. I buy either Chevy or Ford trucks just depending on which one I like the best that year. I have never bought any equipment other than John Deere. I have had very good luck with them for decades so yeah I am brand loyal there. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.