Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Sous Vide died (Breville Joule), it trips breakers now.  Breville says out of warranty, but offered me a 25% coupon.

What Sous Vide units do you like?  I loved the size of the Joule, but early death bums me out.  I have an Anova that is 5 years older and still chugs along.

If you were buying one, what would you get?
    Bought my Anova lightly used sometime back, and years and years later, it still performs like a champ. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,681
    edited July 30
    I had an old Anova and it was a POS. Reluctantly I bought the Anova Pro because it was the best reviewed. It has some user quirks like the timer functions but overall it seems to be pretty good. It definitely heats up faster and circulates more water than the OG version. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    ColbyLang said:
    My Anova has been bulletproof since day 1
    That has been my experience too.  I did message Breville to see if their 25% Coupon would work for the Breville/PolysScience Induction Burner ….. I don’t think I want a Joule again.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Bought two kickstarter Anovas way back when before it became well known, one of them had been wonky since day 1 but life got in the way and I never bothered filing a warranty claims. Fast forward many years, it was still working but I got so sick of it I contacted them. Long story short, after several email exchanges they paid for my return shipment and sent me a new one with more power and wifi. Super happy since. 
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Bought two kickstarter Anovas way back when before it became well known, one of them had been wonky since day 1 but life got in the way and I never bothered filing a warranty claims. Fast forward many years, it was still working but I got so sick of it I contacted them. Long story short, after several email exchanges they paid for my return shipment and sent me a new one with more power and wifi. Super happy since. 
    Why mess with success?  I think an Anova it is.  Thank you!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Pretty stoked, a new to me Trackman Track Ball Scroll wheel arrived.  This is by far the absolute best trackball ever made.  Rumour has it Logitech lost some patent disputes so they never made a new version and the tracking and ergonomics of the newer ones, to me, are terrible.  Fortunately you can still find them on eBay for <$30.  I bought this one for my new office setup.  Got tired of dragging my only one back and forth.

• @Ozzie_Isaac

Sweet hunt and outcome. Congrats.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,681
    Is that ball Ruby Red? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Is that ball Ruby Red? 
    Unfortunately, it is just a dappled red.  Not Ruby Star.  We can’t have everything.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,321
    Pretty stoked, a new to me Trackman Track Ball Scroll wheel arrived.  This is by far the absolute best trackball ever made.  Rumour has it Logitech lost some patent disputes so they never made a new version and the tracking and ergonomics of the newer ones, to me, are terrible.  Fortunately you can still find them on eBay for <$30.  I bought this one for my new office setup.  Got tired of dragging my only one back and forth.

@Ozzie_Isaac - Right on.  I've used those for 20+ years and could never revert.  In my IT days I converted many admins.  This is my current iteration, ditch the wires and the Porsche "pink".  🙂

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395

I just noticed the in-wall speakers behind your coffee setup.  Between the speakers, the beautiful wood test tube holder, and other coffee accoutrement holder, that is a beautiful coffee station.
    Thank you, it gets used a lot.  The test tube holder is for starting plants or single flowers.  Woodworking is a bit of a hobby for me (I made the tamping station as well)

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    @Ozzie_Isaac - nothing wrong with dappled red.

We got this - P/N:804360-1000 a long time ago for the home computer to match her work setup. Still works just fine. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 601
    Late to the party, but no issues with my Anova. I'd buy another. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Why mess with success?  I think an Anova it is.  Thank you!

anova here from before bluetooth, basic model
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Doing some streaming jostling.   Had YouTube TV trial but canceled it for Direct TV.   Had a few more channels we would watch plus the Astros station is a big plus.   

Still saving $190/mth over Comcast/Xfinity
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Doing some streaming jostling.   Had YouTube TV trial but canceled it for Direct TV.   Had a few more channels we would watch plus the Astros station is a big plus.   

What’s funny is MLB network blacks out most Astros games here. I dropped it year 1
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    ColbyLang said:

What’s funny is MLB network blacks out most Astros games here. I dropped it year 1
    They block most VPNs now too. You must be getting astros games broadcast locally for them to black you out. I think the original rule was to blackout in areas that get the local OTA broadcast.
    Not a felon
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    edited July 31
    CTMike said:
    Decided to see if they were worth the hype - I’m tired of fighting with my garage sale find Griswolds with warped bottoms. 

What's the verdict thus far? I've put this same skillet in my cart like 6 times but always chicken out.  I love how beautiful they are, but I know the golden color disappears as soon as you start using it. And a Lodge is like $35... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt said:
    CTMike said:
    Decided to see if they were worth the hype - I’m tired of fighting with my garage sale find Griswolds with warped bottoms. 

What's the verdict thus far?
    I went the Finex route, but that 14” is a most excellent size. Cooking for a family of four, the 12” can get crowded. Who among us would refuse another two inches?
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    A 12" skillet feels like a toy to me. What, am I going to dirty up dishes to sear 2 chicken breasts? I think not. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:

Rockets and Astros have their own channel:   Space City.   Only a couple streams carry it.   I could care less about NBA but MLB I’m a fan.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:

Rockets and Astros have their own channel:   Space City.   Only a couple streams carry it.   I could care less about NBA but MLB I’m a fan.  
    Until the Astros give up their two Ill-gotten World Series trophy’s I won’t do anything that adds to their bottom line.

• TechsasJim
    🤦‍♂️
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    Good to hear from you @SonVolt
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    ColbyLang said:

Until the Astros give up their two Ill-gotten World Series trophy’s I won’t do anything that adds to their bottom line.
    It was against the dodgers, so don't be too hard on them?
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Struggling with inner turmoil.  My Breville Joule died.  It was out of warranty so they will not replace it.  However they offered me a 25% coupon off any Breville appliance.

I asked if they would honor it on a Breville/PolyScience Control Freak.  So now I am trying to convince myself I don’t want it.

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 773
    The larger the purchase the larger the discount... 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Elijah said:
    The larger the purchase the larger the discount... 
    The discount could buy me two Joules!

• maxegger
    maxegger Posts: 3
    CTMike said:

I have the 14" version.  Been cooking with it 3 years this month.  Definitely performs a bit better than a Lodge, IMHO.  More even and consistent head distribution.  Did my normal seasoning routine.  I like the extra tab as well, did add for stable handling with a heavy dish.