Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    Real quick though @Mr1egg is getting ammo a pain? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,800
    edited July 23
    Thanks @GlennM, @SamIAm2

I am pretty set for acoustics. I have a Breedlove SC25/R (cedar top with rosewood back and sides) and a Webber Roundbody (Sitka top with narra back and sides; British Columbian luthier) as my standard acoustics and a Tacoma Thunderhawk baritone (so much fun). Also have an old, cheap Fender acoustic. 

That being said, I’ve been listing after a Lowden O model for some time, so comments about needing a new acoustic are apt. 🙂
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395
    Thanks @GlennM, @SamIAm2

I am pretty set for acoustics. I have a Breedlove SC25/R (cedar top with rosewood back and sides) and a Webber Roundbody (Sitka top with narra back and sides; British Columbian luthier) as my standard acoustics and a Tacoma Thunderhawk baritone (so much fun). Also have an old, cheap Fender acoustic. 

That being said, I’ve been listing after a Lowden O model for some time, so comments about needing a new acoustic are apt. 🙂
    I saw the small one on floor,  looked out of place beside the other jewel.  I see that you have some nice guitars.   I have a 1911 Martin 00-18 and quite a few vintage archtops.   I was in the vintage guitar business for years.  We were Breedlove dealers for a while, very nice guitars.  Love the older Lowdens made by George.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Fun day at Costco yesterday. Bought a new battery for the van and installed it in the parking lot. After it was all hooked up there was zero power, long story short...turned out the black condom was not removed, duh :blush: Without the cap the clamp wouldn't tighten even when fully closed. Thankfully they let me search their parts cabinet and retrieve an unknown metal collar with two protruding square notches, I was able to cut two slices off the collar and used them to bulk up the battery posts' diameter. phew!

Off to the autopart store this morning and picked this up, feels better with these dedicated lead caps than some unknown metal.

Speaking of Costco, while there returning an item, we witnessed three interesting returns,
    1) This lady dumped some shrimps and cut vegetables on the counter and goes, these are terrible, Costco should be ashamed for selling them.
    2) A man returned a pot of dead flowers without receipt, said he got it as a gift. 
    3) Another woman brought back a toilet with bidet, complaining that it didn't work and she wasted money paying the plumber.
    It was amazing how calm and quiet the return clerks were, I wouldn't last a day on the job.

canuckland
  • GlennM said:
    Thanks @GlennM, @SamIAm2

I saw the small one on floor,  looked out of place beside the other jewel.  I see that you have some nice guitars.   I have a 1911 Martin 00-18 and quite a few vintage archtops.   I was in the vintage guitar business for years.  We were Breedlove dealers for a while, very nice guitars.  Love the older Lowdens made by George.
    I have seen a glimpse of your collection and it is really exceptional. Bet you have held some incredible instruments over the years.  

I somehow missed the Stargazer. lol. Easily overlooked. It was a small, cheap guitar that I bought to play between classes while at university. I wish I had my Journey OF660 back then. Perfect guitar for said application. 

My Breedlove dates from the earlier days, before they were sold. Bought it on a whim while in North Carolina, IIRC. Paid a fraction of what I would have here, and although I was fully ready to declare the purchase at the border when coming home, the agents didn’t ask about purchases at all. Ended up being a great deal. 🙂

I take it from your comment that you favour the older Lowdens? I haven’t yet played a newer one. I remember playing an Avalon in a store in the States years ago (maybe 20) and being very impressed. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Fun day at Costco yesterday. Bought a new battery for the van and installed it in the parking lot. After it was all hooked up there was zero power, long story short...turned out the black condom was not removed, duh :blush: Without the cap the clamp wouldn't tighten even when fully closed. Thankfully they let me search their parts cabinet and retrieve an unknown metal collar with two protruding square notches, I was able to cut two slices off the collar and used them to bulk up the battery posts' diameter. phew!

Off to the autopart store this morning and picked this up, feels better with these dedicated lead caps than some unknown metal.

Wow, I had no idea battery post diameters weren't standardized.   :o  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Botch said:

Shrink-flation …. Gotta save money somewhere.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    edited July 23
    Botch said:

I was able to use the whole caps, using a block of wood and hammer to tap down the clamps. Some product reviewers reported the need to cut the caps in halves, meaning there are at least three different post diameters?
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    The clamps can stretch over time too, especially if they are over-tightened.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    Never experienced that with a battery change out.  Learn something new dang near every day here.  
    However, once the OEM battery bites the dust I will replace with an Interstate and then stay on that size battery til the car runs out of road for that last time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 175
    Buying new personalized dog collars. The puppy is big enough to wear the smallest size now. 

A friend just puts HIS name and number on the collars. I had been putting dog name, address and my number on the collar. What does everyone else do?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Dogs name and our numbers. Good luck catching them lol
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,683
    Buying new personalized dog collars. The puppy is big enough to wear the smallest size now. 

A friend just puts HIS name and number on the collars. I had been putting dog name, address and my number on the collar. What does everyone else do?
    I’d get an AirTag collar. 
  • Campbell2N

Only works in Bluetooth range. I’ll be getting a new GPS collar for this boy. He won’t be a ranger if I can help it but you can’t be too safe!
  • Campbell2N
    ColbyLang said:
    Dogs name and our numbers. Good luck catching them lol
    That’s what I did this time. Seems like the most fitting TBH. Thanks all!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    No collars.  Chipped.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    Dogs name and my cell number. Normally chipped but the vet won’t do it unless she can knock him out to neuter him.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191

Add a Rabies tag and microchip. I also added a Maine, and mass address and a second phone number. So far my pup stays within a hundred yards, he is on an electric training collar, has his name down, and comes when I whistle. Silent dog whistle is next as I don't like yelling for him for the neighbors sake.  No fence here and I've never tied a dog, even when I lived in the city
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Campbell2N
    He will be chipped like my others but he’s too young  to be neutered. Just got his first rabies shot and I’ll register him with the county this week and add his tag. Thanks for all the responses guys! 
  • fishlessman
    He will be chipped like my others but he’s too young  to be neutered. Just got his first rabies shot and I’ll register him with the county this week and add his tag. Thanks for all the responses guys! 
    I don't neuter til there's a problem, only had that once and the dog was five and on the hunt. My last couple died old and intact. Why fix something that's not broke :o
    fukahwee maine

• Campbell2N

Add a Rabies tag and microchip. I also added a Maine, and mass address and a second phone number. So far my pup stays within a hundred yards, he is on an electric training collar, has his name down, and comes when I whistle. Silent dog whistle is next as I don't like yelling for him for the neighbors sake.  No fence here and I've never tied a dog, even when I lived in the city
    Collar training is the way to go. Properly done they are the best dogs (in the field). My Lab hasn’t worn his in years and still is right as rain. I can’t wait until this little guy is big enough to wear one and learn too. 

@fishlessman I want to hunt birds with you and your dogs. They are pretty. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172

Only works in Bluetooth range. I’ll be getting a new GPS collar for this boy. He won’t be a ranger if I can help it but you can’t be too safe!
    No sir, that’s not accurate (in my experience).   I keep an air tag in my golf bag and routinely leave my bag at the club which is 5 miles away, and it picks up location every time and notifies me when they’re out of BT range.   

To further comments, we also have our Dog’s name and our # on the collar plus he is chipped.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim
    WiFi 6 mesh.   Had a 1GB fiber line installed and the router is in a different location than the prior.   Just trying to maximize throughput.   
  • Campbell2N

No sir, that’s not accurate (in my experience).   I keep an air tag in my golf bag and routinely leave my bag at the club which is 5 miles away, and it picks up location every time and notifies me when they’re out of BT range.   

To further comments, we also have our Dog’s name and our # on the collar plus he is chipped.  
    Correct but that’s only if it’s pinging off other iPhones within Bluetooth range. Makes perfect sense to me for that purpose. I looked into AirTags as a low cost option. I was disappointed in what I read for dogs, but I understand and it makes sense. 
  • TechsasJim

Correct but that’s only if it’s pinging off other iPhones within Bluetooth range. Makes perfect sense to me for that purpose. I looked into AirTags as a low cost option. I was disappointed in what I read for dogs, but I understand and it makes sense. 
    Ahh gotcha.   I guess there must be some Apple device at the club I wasn’t aware of, which would make sense.  

On a different, yet similar, note when we were in Destin earlier this summer I noticed a lot of kids (sub 6yo) that had silicone bracelets on.   Wife and I talked to the parents who were posted up next to us and they were all Air Tags embedded in silicone bracelets.   Pretty cool idea.  
  • fishlessman

Collar training is the way to go. Properly done they are the best dogs (in the field). My Lab hasn’t worn his in years and still is right as rain. I can’t wait until this little guy is big enough to wear one and learn too. 

I don't hunt but keep the dogs on birds. They keep the ducks and geese off the property. Late fall I'll have this one looking for sheds. Keeping Britt's occupied is key. He is insane when there's a fish in the net and last weekend he chased a float plane probably thinking it was a big bird....firm believer in a collar, nine months old and he is just on vibrate now. Late fall and I can put it away til spring for a little refresher. Hate leashes. You are right though, fun to watch doing their thing, I asked the breeder for the crazy one....I got crazy
    fukahwee maine

• Campbell2N

I don't hunt but keep the dogs on birds. They keep the ducks and geese off the property. Late fall I'll have this one looking for sheds. Keeping Britt's occupied is key. He is insane when there's a fish in the net and last weekend he chased a float plane probably thinking it was a big bird....firm believer in a collar, nine months old and he is just on vibrate now. Late fall and I can put it away til spring for a little refresher. Hate leashes. You are right though, fun to watch doing their thing, I asked the breeder for the crazy one....I got crazy
    Mmmmm I still think you all come up north here and we get you on some birds. There will be lots of fishing. Standing invitation!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 24

My Australian Shepard don’t wear leashes either.  They grew up at the barn and rodeos.  They mind better than most kids.  Horses, dogs, people, trucks, cars, cattle, hogs, etc they ignore unless it is play time.

Only thing that makes one of mine panic is automatic doors at Tractor supply.  For some reason he has a deep ingrained fear of them.

I have learned to carry a leash in certain public settings.  For my dogs safety.  Crazy Karen’s freak out when they see a dog without a leash.  Just because you can’t control or train your mutt doesn’t mean I can’t.  Leash is never actually attached, just hanging down near them.

We were at a farmers market and a  dog behind my wife apparently thought lunging and barking was a good idea.  My dog was watching him closely.  The other dog lunged at my wife and my dog stepped right in between.  Barked once and snapped at the other dog.  The other dog yipped in fear and backed right up.  Karen started yelling at me and my dog.  Cruz just sat and watched her waiting for my cue.  The Salsa lady who my wife was talking to, saw everything and told Karen her dog was the problem and mine just played defense and stopped as soon as situation was done.  Just tried to argue but a few other people who had seen it stepped in and told her off.  Apparently her dog had been causing problems.

Now one of my Aussies isn’t that way and we limit where he goes and use leashes when appropriate.  He is getting better, but he is a bit energetic and loves to play, and can be intimidating to see.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395

I have seen a glimpse of your collection and it is really exceptional. Bet you have held some incredible instruments over the years.  

I somehow missed the Stargazer. lol. Easily overlooked. It was a small, cheap guitar that I bought to play between classes while at university. I wish I had my Journey OF660 back then. Perfect guitar for said application. 

My Breedlove dates from the earlier days, before they were sold. Bought it on a whim while in North Carolina, IIRC. Paid a fraction of what I would have here, and although I was fully ready to declare the purchase at the border when coming home, the agents didn’t ask about purchases at all. Ended up being a great deal. 🙂

I take it from your comment that you favour the older Lowdens? I haven’t yet played a newer one. I remember playing an Avalon in a store in the States years ago (maybe 20) and being very impressed. 
    I had a music store (mostly guitar related) for 35 years and worked in the industry for 45 years.  It was a great profession that was hard to retire from.   I am a guitar nut and still have a stash of some of my favourite finds from over the years.   I have basically seen just about everything you can imagine.   Enjoy your toys,  you have some nice ones!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,945
    8 lites of Castrol 5-30 for £100. And some more pounds for the nice man to take the old stuff away and change the filter.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay