Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    lousubcap said:
    Hit your home owners insurance for the loss.  
    Unless you are already making a claim, or don’t ever plan to move or sell, avoid using insurance unless absolutely necessary.

insurers are dropping people like crazy and raising rates for homes with claims a great deal.  Now the claim follows you and also stays with the home.  
    I’ve heard they can raise your rates or even drop you for a simple inquiry is some states.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Unless you are already making a claim, or don’t ever plan to move or sell, avoid using insurance unless absolutely necessary.

insurers are dropping people like crazy and raising rates for homes with claims a great deal.  Now the claim follows you and also stays with the home.  
    They've started dropping policies here in UT just recently (like CA, FL, and even Marshalltown IA); I live on the west edge of a bench, with tree-line below me, so I may be vulnerable in the near future.  Not a good feeling.   :s  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:

They've started dropping policies here in UT just recently (like CA, FL, and even Marshalltown IA); I live on the west edge of a bench, with tree-line below me, so I may be vulnerable in the near future.  Not a good feeling.   :s  
    I have seen articles about homes with landscape irrigation. The owners turn it on before they evacuate and are often the only un burned house left.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    1st whole home generator quote for 26kw, $14k.  Here we go
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:

I have seen articles about homes with landscape irrigation. The owners turn it on before they evacuate and are often the only un burned house left.
    That's in my evacuation plan.   ;)  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    26kw? Good lord, you running a smelting operation or growing a tremendous amount of weed in the basement?
    Not a felon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    Legume said:
    26kw? Good lord, you running a smelting operation or growing a tremendous amount of weed in the basement?
    A lot of it is for the installation and safety measures to prevent back feeding the grid and frying workers. I supervised and inspected a contract to install Kohler diesel generators at several government buildings back in 2001 or 2002. That included the building that I worked out of. They still work. Most people that I worked with stayed at the office while working the Katrina recovery. We had a well, ice machine and AC for the few hours a day that we weren’t working. 
    Too long ago to remember the exact costs and technical specs.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    That’s about right. Natural gas or diesel?
  • alaskanassasin
    @Legume I guess with that KW you would not have to worry about overloading anything. If you had a family that was running a electric water heater, and dryer at the same time that could be close to 10KW add in the air conditioner, microwave.  Some houses have two water heaters, or two dryers.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:
    That’s about right. Natural gas or diesel?
    Natural Gas.   It’s easy, all services/panels on same exterior wall of the house.  
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    Magnetron for an 11 year old, over the stovetop GE Microwave. Cheaper than buying this year's model with the same specifications. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    SamIAm2 said:
    Magnetron for an 11 year old, over the stovetop GE Microwave. Cheaper than buying this year's model with the same specifications. 

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Thanks for that, got a good chuckle. Grandson liked all those figurines when he was younger than 11 years old. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Legume
    @Legume I guess with that KW you would not have to worry about overloading anything. If you had a family that was running a electric water heater, and dryer at the same time that could be close to 10KW add in the air conditioner, microwave.  Some houses have two water heaters, or two dryers.  
    yeah, that's the question I was asking. I googled a bit as well, I didn't realize that much was needed, I never went that route for my house in Austin, so I never had an idea.  They size solar differently, I'm sure because it's not stand alone solar, that would be different.
    Not a felon
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 397
    Bought my first pair of serengeti sunglasses, excited to see how they are over the next couple weeks.

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    I bought a set of brown lens squarish ones when I got contacts 20 years back. i *still* like them and will wear them over my prescription lenses. I really like how they make things look crisper and glare free without darkening the crap out of my sight.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • ColbyLang
    2025 PGA Championship tix
  • TechsasJim
    Mr1egg said:
    Bought my first pair of serengeti sunglasses, excited to see how they are over the next couple weeks.

Never worn them but like the look.  I have a pair of Randolph Engineering that look very similar.   Wear them often for driving.   
  • alaskanassasin
    My bank actually caught unauthorized transactions before they cleared! A new debit card is in the mail and the pimple popper is going to have to pay for his phone game elsewhere.  Last time this happened someone got away with two dell computers.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    My bank actually caught unauthorized transactions before they cleared! A new debit card is in the mail and the pimple popper is going to have to pay for his phone game elsewhere.  Last time this happened someone got away with two dell computers.
    Same thing happened to me in June…twice in one week.   Bank caught it both times but changing over all info for auto drafts is a real PITA
  • Legume
    Cell phone booster for truck and camper. Probably going to order a weboost, if anyone has any experience or insight, would love to hear.
    Not a felon
  • TechsasJim
    My buddy just got Starlink for his 5th wheel.   I know it’s not the same but he did say it worked great.   Seems pricey though
  • Legume
    My buddy just got Starlink for his 5th wheel.   I know it’s not the same but he did say it worked great.   Seems pricey though
    My primary need is phone, especially on the road as we do lose signal frequently or it dips in and out and we lose calls.  I think we're on the edge of coverage often, so a booster would be good.

I did look into starlink, it's very cool, but pricey and isn't practical when driving. I don't watch tv or internet when camping, so it's mostly for phone when needed and some light work when needed. My phone has an unlimited plan and I don't need the connection for entertainment.
    Not a felon
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    There are wifi applications for phones to use over Data. I have one for my work that allows me to use my office desk phone from my iPhone over data (or wifi). M$ teams also has phone options.

The starlink router likely has wifi, or you add a WAP. then your phone is on the starlink sat network and bob's your sat phone.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 773
    WhatsApp is what I typically used when internet was available, but cell wasn
  • TechsasJim
    A house for my son.  We made a promise a year ago and he kept up his part of the bargain.  Time to pay up, and very glad to.

I’ve been looking for a new set of parents, what kind of deal do we need to strike?

jokes aside, congrats, that’s awesome for both you and him.    Clearly well earned.  
  • ColbyLang
    A house for my son.  We made a promise a year ago and he kept up his part of the bargain.  Time to pay up, and very glad to.

We’re probably close to the same age (you and me lol). I’ll call you daddy if you buy me a house lmao