Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    CPFC1905 said:
    8 lites of Castrol 5-30 for £100. And some more pounds for the nice man to take the old stuff away and change the filter.

Big engine for 8 liters (8.5 quarts) of motor oil.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GlennM said:

I have seen a glimpse of your collection and it is really exceptional. Bet you have held some incredible instruments over the years.  

I somehow missed the Stargazer. lol. Easily overlooked. It was a small, cheap guitar that I bought to play between classes while at university. I wish I had my Journey OF660 back then. Perfect guitar for said application. 

My Breedlove dates from the earlier days, before they were sold. Bought it on a whim while in North Carolina, IIRC. Paid a fraction of what I would have here, and although I was fully ready to declare the purchase at the border when coming home, the agents didn’t ask about purchases at all. Ended up being a great deal. 🙂

I take it from your comment that you favour the older Lowdens? I haven’t yet played a newer one. I remember playing an Avalon in a store in the States years ago (maybe 20) and being very impressed. 
    I had a music store (mostly guitar related) for 35 years and worked in the industry for 45 years.  It was a great profession that was hard to retire from.   I am a guitar nut and still have a stash of some of my favourite finds from over the years.   I have basically seen just about everything you can imagine.   Enjoy your toys,  you have some nice ones!
    Thanks. If ever you get the urge to offload some of your pieces, please reach out! 

And otherwise, if you want to send me some pics of your collection for interest, I’d love to see them. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    edited July 24
    lousubcap said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    8 lites of Castrol 5-30 for £100. And some more pounds for the nice man to take the old stuff away and change the filter.

thats what the 5.0 v8 holds in the rover, the castrol synthetic european for the rover is expensive to boot.

next up for me is a new vehicle. timing chains need replacement. was quoted 8 to 10k to replace, about the same as buying another 2010. will wait to the fall if it doesnt explode sooner.  been making a noise for the last 70k miles or so.

seems to be alot of low mileage covid era suvs for light money out there right now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CTMike said:
    Decided to see if they were worth the hype - I’m tired of fighting with my garage sale find Griswolds with warped bottoms. 

Beautiful. You and @DoubleEgger can give us reviews. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,346
    edited July 25
    CTMike said:
    Decided to see if they were worth the hype - I’m tired of fighting with my garage sale find Griswolds with warped bottoms. 

Beautiful. You and @DoubleEgger can give us reviews. 
    I will report back in a couple months when the pans are properly seasoned. These things are heavy, the 14” skillet weighs 12 lbs. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • @CTMike

14” seems like an excellent size. I often find cook quality suffers greatly as soon as you are crowding the pan - which happens often, even with a 12”. 

I went Finex years back and have no regrets (I love the lid for the 12” pan; just a little heavier as a combo than your 14”), but were I shopping today, Smithey would be a serious contender. Love their Farmhouse skillet, but am already set in the CS dept. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,945
    lousubcap said:
    CPFC1905 said:

MB V6 in SLK280.  
    It’s a 2008 model year and we bought it in 21 with 25k miles on it.  Now sat at 36k.  Despite being third owners, the car has sustained a very low average mileage. Given UK average mileage is about 12k - this one is barely run-in. 
    Oddly I have replaced nearly as many springs as tyres. And the ac heat exchanger/rad which must have taken a rock at some point.   Also, one fog lamp glass. Replacement was remarkably cheap from MB main dealer. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    lousubcap said:
    CPFC1905 said:

thats what the 5.0 v8 holds in the rover, the castrol synthetic european for the rover is expensive to boot.

next up for me is a new vehicle. timing chains need replacement. was quoted 8 to 10k to replace, about the same as buying another 2010. will wait to the fall if it doesnt explode sooner.  been making a noise for the last 70k miles or so.

seems to be alot of low mileage covid era suvs for light money out there right now
    As in Range Rover? 
    Lovely cars if you’re not footing the bills.  
    Daughter has had two RR and two Evoques. 
    They have the RRS now and I like it - especially those pretty lights that come and go on the dashboard. 😄
    Insurance is eye watering, she has a Macan and a Mini too.  I am added to the policy as a named driver as it brings the premium down. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:
    CPFC1905 said:

As in Range Rover? 
    Lovely cars if you’re not footing the bills.  
    Daughter has had two RR and two Evoques. 
    They have the RRS now and I like it - especially those pretty lights that come and go on the dashboard. 😄
    Insurance is eye watering, she has a Macan and a Mini too.  I am added to the policy as a named driver as it brings the premium down. 

i have the full sized supercharged autobiography. to be fair on the expensiveness to repair though, in 177,000 miles its had 2 brake jobs, 3 sets of tires, and the third brake light replaced. i even think the wiper blades are original.   timing chains though cost as much as the current book value though.  amazes me how much the book value plummets, 126000 dollars msrp down to 8800 in 14 years =) its been a good vehicle and im happy it was only $23900 7 years ago when i bought it. this is/was the nicest vehicle ill probably ever own
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CPFC1905

i have the full sized supercharged autobiography. to be fair on the expensiveness to repair though, in 177,000 miles its had 2 brake jobs, 3 sets of tires, and the third brake light replaced. i even think the wiper blades are original.   timing chains though cost as much as the current book value though.  amazes me how much the book value plummets, 126000 dollars msrp down to 8800 in 14 years =) its been a good vehicle and im happy it was only $23900 7 years ago when i bought it. this is/was the nicest vehicle ill probably ever own
    Well done.  
    They are an odd vehicle, some are total bin fires and don't last five years - maybe owners / insurers simply can't stand the repair bills and they get broken for parts?  Some do receive 'workarounds', like when we used to take out the warning bulbs in the old days to make the problem go away.

Others go on for decades unfettered.   I know some LR fans and their attitude is they are curtaors/carers for their beloved 110 / County whatever it is.  They know it needs constant attention but that's part of the relationship. 

I am tempted every week by a different post-depreciation luxo-barge   An Audi A8,  VW Phaeton,  MB S Class,  high mile Panamera,  BMW 7 series - but I just know the one I go for will hand grenade six weeks later and I will have burnt my cash.   If you have the diagnostic tools and some talent, I think they make great buys - but I have neither. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Hotel room near Augusta, GA...finally won The Masters ticket lottery!!  WOOHOOOOOOO
    Im 0/12. Did get Saturday and Sunday rounds to PGA Championship @ Quail Hollow tho
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    CTMike said:
    My latest addition to my Staub collection arrived today - 13.25 qt Cocotte in Grenadine. Will be perfect for making a huge pot of pulled pork or brisket chili:

SWMBO has put her foot down and said no more Staub (or other cookware) - I’ll wear her down. 😎
    I have that exact pot in that exact color.  It is one of my absolute favorites.  if you do not have, I also highly highly recommend their "Perfect Pan".  That is a daily one for me.  I use it for almost everything.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/staub-perfect-pan/

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• @CTMike

Great piece in a fantastic size. Enjoy.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,346
    edited July 27
    CTMike said:
    My latest addition to my Staub collection arrived today - 13.25 qt Cocotte in Grenadine. Will be perfect for making a huge pot of pulled pork or brisket chili:

SWMBO has put her foot down and said no more Staub (or other cookware) - I’ll wear her down. 😎
    I have that exact pot in that exact color.  It is one of my absolute favorites.  if you do not have, I also highly highly recommend their "Perfect Pan".  That is a daily one for me.  I use it for almost everything.

I have the perfect pan/wok in dark blue, along with a couple other pieces:

I may have a problem. 😎
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    @CTMike- I'll bet on SWMBO here!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

I have the perfect pan/wok in dark blue, along with a couple other pieces:

I may have a problem. 😎
    I don’t see a problem, I see a table full of solutions.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395
    New grinder for my morning joe

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • GlennM said:

Nice. As you know, grinders are reportedly more important than the espresso machine. My M-I-L has that Rancilio. We bought it for her years ago. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    GlennM said:

Ok, that thing looks cool!  About 15 years ago maybe, I tried to come up with "the best coffee solution" for me/us.  I asked for and received a burr grinder for Christmas.  I used it for years, but ended up ditching it.  During the grind, it built up static electricity. When I would remove the canister containing the ground coffee, the freshly ground coffee would "jump out" of the canister, leaving a mess.  I would have to unplug the grinder and bring it to the sink and open it there.  Do you have issues with this at all?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395
    kl8ton said:
    GlennM said:

Ok, that thing looks cool!  About 15 years ago maybe, I tried to come up with "the best coffee solution" for me/us.  I asked for and received a burr grinder for Christmas.  I used it for years, but ended up ditching it.  During the grind, it built up static electricity. When I would remove the canister containing the ground coffee, the freshly ground coffee would "jump out" of the canister, leaving a mess.  I would have to unplug the grinder and bring it to the sink and open it there.  Do you have issues with this at all?
    No, I haven’t had any issues with that. This new grinder has an anti-static device built-in.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    GlennM said:
    kl8ton said:
    GlennM said:

No, I haven’t had any issues with that. This new grinder has an anti-static device built-in.
    I just noticed the in-wall speakers behind your coffee setup.  Between the speakers, the beautiful wood test tube holder, and other coffee accoutrement holder, that is a beautiful coffee station.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Primary Arms 1-6x24 scope for the .300 BO
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • GlennM said:
    kl8ton said:
    GlennM said:

I just noticed the in-wall speakers behind your coffee setup.  Between the speakers, the beautiful wood test tube holder, and other coffee accoutrement holder, that is a beautiful coffee station.
    Just in case you need some tunes to ride out that 30-second pull! 🙂
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,683
    GlennM said:
    kl8ton said:
    GlennM said:

Just in case you need some tunes to ride out that 30-second pull! 🙂
    That’s what she said. 
  • Old one crapped out. This is my travel unit. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Sous Vide died (Breville Joule), it trips breakers now.  Breville says out of warranty, but offered me a 25% coupon.

What Sous Vide units do you like?  I loved the size of the Joule, but early death bums me out.  I have an Anova that is 5 years older and still chugs along.

If you were buying one, what would you get?

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    My Anova has been bulletproof since day 1