Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Acn said:
    Reserving a VRBO in the White Mountains for a brief stop this summer.
    Nice.   Which town?
    Just went with Conway for options and price.  We’ll have our dog with us, so the little extra driving is worth the nightly savings.  It’s just a few nights after visiting my folks in ME.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    What's the best way to heat a 25qt 12" diameter stockpot indoors? My son's wrestling team is hosting a home tournament soon and I need to find a way to serve a lot of chili to coaches and staff.  I was hoping to avoid the crock-pot for vanity reasons...  a big stainless stock pot just looks so much cooler.

I figured an induction burner would work, but I can't find one on Amazon that's rated for the weight or diameter I need.  Those little butane burners look suspect. Propane burners all say "outdoor use only"... 

Am I stuck using a crock pot?
    Stainless stockpot with a portable induction burner.  Just because the pot is bigger doesn't mean it won't work, just stir more.  I use a very large stockpot for boiling potatoes with the induction burner.

Which one do you have? I  just ordered this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHZ7BLG/ref=emc_b_5_t

I was reading a lot of negative reviews on amazon from users with larger diameter pots. We'll see how it goes. 
    Just thought I should share this with you…
    I clicked on 1-star review and the very first one that showed up says this:

"...I bought this to sear steak and other items outside on the patio to avoid smoking up the house and setting off the smoke detector. This cooktop is useless for that.

Because of the "overheat protection" it won't let the pan get hot enough to get a good sear.
    It limits the pan heat to around 460 degrees. Then, since there is such a delay between the actual temperature of the pan and the heat sensor in the unit, once you place the meat in the pan, the pan's temperature will drop down to about 280 degree before the unit will begin to heat the pan up again. (I checked with an infrared thermometer) So it does not maintain a consistent heat..."

I experienced the same problem when I tried to sear with an oversized CI pan. The trapped heat triggered the overheat protection circuit and shut down the cooker.  I have a different brand so I think this safety feature is universal with portable induction cooktop.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be using it to keep a large tall stockpot of chili warm for about 6 hours. I'm going to test it with a pot of water when it gets here on Thursday and send it back if it doesn't work the way I need. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    What's the best way to heat a 25qt 12" diameter stockpot indoors? My son's wrestling team is hosting a home tournament soon and I need to find a way to serve a lot of chili to coaches and staff.  I was hoping to avoid the crock-pot for vanity reasons...  a big stainless stock pot just looks so much cooler.

I figured an induction burner would work, but I can't find one on Amazon that's rated for the weight or diameter I need.  Those little butane burners look suspect. Propane burners all say "outdoor use only"... 

Am I stuck using a crock pot?
    Stainless stockpot with a portable induction burner.  Just because the pot is bigger doesn't mean it won't work, just stir more.  I use a very large stockpot for boiling potatoes with the induction burner.

Which one do you have? I  just ordered this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHZ7BLG/ref=emc_b_5_t

I was reading a lot of negative reviews on amazon from users with larger diameter pots. We'll see how it goes. 
    Just thought I should share this with you…
    I clicked on 1-star review and the very first one that showed up says this:

"...I bought this to sear steak and other items outside on the patio to avoid smoking up the house and setting off the smoke detector. This cooktop is useless for that.

Because of the "overheat protection" it won't let the pan get hot enough to get a good sear.
    It limits the pan heat to around 460 degrees. Then, since there is such a delay between the actual temperature of the pan and the heat sensor in the unit, once you place the meat in the pan, the pan's temperature will drop down to about 280 degree before the unit will begin to heat the pan up again. (I checked with an infrared thermometer) So it does not maintain a consistent heat..."

I experienced the same problem when I tried to sear with an oversized CI pan. The trapped heat triggered the overheat protection circuit and shut down the cooker.  I have a different brand so I think this safety feature is universal with portable induction cooktop.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be using it to keep a large tall stockpot of chili warm for about 6 hours. I'm going to test it with a pot of water when it gets here on Thursday and send it back if it doesn't work the way I need. 
    With thick contents like chili you may want to stir occasionally to avoid excessive heat buildup at the bottom that could trigger the overheat thermostat. Hope it works out for you.
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I just didn't know sous vide could get any funner, then Bam. 
    Amazon just dropped off my little hand held broiler, oh how fun will this be!

Let us know what you think. I’ve often considered it, but have been pretty happy with the bare torch thus far. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    MasterC said:

Nice!  Curious to see how you like it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    If it's available at the store tomorrow I'll get some meat and try it out
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2022
    Options
    MasterC said:

Is this the new Searzall Pro or the original? The new one works with MAPP and has like 50% more surface area. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    I believe it's original, list price 75. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lousubcap: Amazing. I can assure you that we all want pics of the finished product. Way to live it up. 😃
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Enjoying a bourbon and then went down the Crowd Cow A-5 rabbit hole, first time since August:
    Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeye Steak
    13oz A5 Wagyu Ribeye Steak - Miyazaki Gyu Farm  

I will admit that my palate will not totally appreciate this steak but since I first cooked one in April 2021 I have been hooked.  I exercise enough restraint to give it a go around every 4-5 months.  
    Sir, you are a connoisseur of the best Japan has to offer.  You should pair that with some of their Yubari King melons.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - I had to google Yubari Melons as the melon deal means they are way too healthy for me.  Not on the radar but your knowledge indicates you have spent some serious time in Japan.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @lousubcap that's a piece of meat you do not leave unattended! 

Eat in one sitting? 

Sample raw? 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @kl8ton - actually it is too rich for two people in one shot.  I won't share beyond SWMBO.  Have never gone tartare.  
    Talk about a hot and fast cook-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @lousubcap That should pair perfectly with your new soy sauce. ;)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Debating ordering a porchetta roast from SRF.  What say you, friends?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Can't say I have regretted ordering anything from there. This forum doesn't give you the brakes. Probably order two
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Personally, I’d much rather see you take on a challenge. Something like a squirrel. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Personally, I’d much rather see you take on a challenge. Something like a squirrel. 
    We call them tree rats down here in the south, brother.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    We call them tree rats down here in the south, brother.
    To be paired with fancy wine, I suppose. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    paqman said:

Did you order that? If so, where from? That’s my exact set. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations I’ve been keeping  an eye on them for years but never could justify the price… When I saw them on Costco, I ordered right away!

edited January 2022
    Options
    Just unboxing a fun little delivery.

I'll have to check out that website.  I recently got in an order from heatinist for some family Hot One's fun. The bottle of Classics Pepper x they through in for free for spending over $40 was insane.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Pressure switch and filter for the furnace. I love it when the furnace goes out :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Pressure switch and filter for the furnace. I love it when the furnace goes out :)

the kerosene monitor went down over the weekend with a freeze up. froze two sinks and the tub. turned up the electric backup which isnt much of a plan with the wind we are getting. tis the season.... had the house up in the mid 90's with the wood stove friday night and still everything was frozen by morning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it